Author Topic: Ban Log  (Read 1495 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Ban Log
« on: May 26, 2011, 03:30:18 AM »
In the interest of transparency when it is able to be given, I'm going to list here who has been banned from the boards. Take this as a learning lesson and to just let you know so-and-so isn't responding to your post/ game/ etc.

What I ask though is we respect those who can't stand up for themselves- if they have been banned, I'll give some info and hope we move on, I don't want that to be an invitation to talk shit.

Take note that it's pretty friggin' hard to be banned from these boards, and even if you are, it's almost always a temporary ban to give you a chance to put life and these boards in perspective and come back having had a paradigm shift and will change your behavior.  Another note, if you ARE temp banned- feel free to email me when you feel you've made the change I need to see and talk about your side (meg (at) brilliantgameologists.com)

What I mean about putting things in perspective...

I came from WotC as you know, and am extremely pro-trust-and-respect-the-members.  That hasn't changed- I dislike over-moderation and HATE power for power's sake, whether it's a forum moderator or a cop with a tiny dick. Earn respect, don't demand it because of your own insecurities.

But 2009 was really rough for me. We lost our grandmother. Then my closest (29 year old) collegue died of breast cancer.  THEN my father died. And to top it all off, my dog died suddenly and I'm still heartbroken over it.

That all put a lot in perspective. THEN I had a kid. That REALLY put things in perspective.  The feedback we got from potential listeners deleting our podcasts because of the asshole-ness of some of the boards members played into it, but life lessons were even more of a lesson I didn't really want to learn.

Life is short. My patience level for putting up with bratty assholes has gone WAY down.  I just can not stand virgin, pimply college kids who think the worst thing that could ever happen to them is that someone tries to argue that the Monk is balanced. Come on already. Wake up and take a look at the real world and put those arguments where they belong- as an interesting philosophical cognitive study and nothing to have emotional investment in.  Not something to sit and scream about and tell strangers on the internet that you are happy their aunt died.

My stance on over-moderation has not changed. I have a super long leash to give out to the deserving. Just have a life-balanced outlook on life and where gaming belongs and your fine.

So I'll list here who has been banned from the boards, and a brief why, so you can check your own behavior and know we're not wielding the banhammer callously.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Ban Log
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 03:32:05 AM »
Yesterday I banned Jim Profit. Mostly because of past behavior elsewhere on the internet. The sum is that this is a problem I have no interest in chancing. Remember, these boards are our personal space- we pay for them and ask for no donations. We reserve the right to boot anyone at any time from our private playground. I chose not to offer our services to him.

If you must know, it was the youtube videos that made up my mind.

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Ban Log
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 03:36:59 AM »
Sunic Flames was banned in March 2011 after being temp banned several times and coming back each time with no change in behavior.

This was one of the last straws:
That is because you are a fuckwit, but you play Pathfailure so we already knew this.

You also know, or would know if you were not a Pathfailure fuckwit that SR is not relevant, because Conjurations are so fucking good anyways that using them is not a power down at all, and is in fact something that you would likely choose to do anyways.
AFTER repeatedly being warned this happened. See how he attacked the person, not the idea? Don't do that.

AndyJames was banned in early January (I think). The last straw:
My aunt had a heart attack Christmas Eve. Her funeral is today. >_>
Oh wow. What did you do? Made a "stunning" leftard announcement that her poor conservative heart couldn't take?

[spoiler]My condolences to the rest of your family. YOU, however, can eat shit and die.[/spoiler]
This is so insanely insensitive and lacks any sense of basic manners. Again, this was after repeated warnings.