Author Topic: Why're 3.x Rules so Damn Fun to Talk About?  (Read 2559 times)

Tequila Sunrise

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Why're 3.x Rules so Damn Fun to Talk About?
« on: May 24, 2011, 01:11:08 AM »
I do talk about other rulesets and systems, but there's something about 3.x that brings out the best [and the worst] in discussion.

Is it because of the opinion powder kegs: paladins, ToB, VoP, and so on?

Is it the system mastery?

Is it because so much of it is broken, or at the very least, glitchy?

Is it because 3.x creates the illusion of a vast yet coherent super-structure, while actually creating a maddeningly obtuse jumble of rules and guidelines?

Or is it just because I have a compulsion to tinker with elaborate rulesets?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Why're 3.x Rules so Damn Fun to Talk About?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 10:27:46 AM »
All of the above?  You can probably get equally lively discussions for other editions and other games.

This is all quite anecdotal, but I just didn't analyze 2E this much mostly because everyone I knew had this mindset that thinking like that was bad for the game.  Most people still figured that the rules were just guidelines and the DM's word was final, plus all games were a hodge-podge of house rules anyway, so most players couldn't have that level of system mastery.

It seemed that 3E was the first edition to come close to presenting a complete ruleset, which implied that the DM didn't have to houserule everything to get stuff to work.  There was the idea that you could just play it right out of the box, which made it easier to actually analyze the rules.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 12:59:04 PM »
All of the above?  You can probably get equally lively discussions for other editions and other games.

This is all quite anecdotal, but I just didn't analyze 2E this much mostly because everyone I knew had this mindset that thinking like that was bad for the game.  Most people still figured that the rules were just guidelines and the DM's word was final, plus all games were a hodge-podge of house rules anyway, so most players couldn't have that level of system mastery.

It seemed that 3E was the first edition to come close to presenting a complete ruleset, which implied that the DM didn't have to houserule everything to get stuff to work.  There was the idea that you could just play it right out of the box, which made it easier to actually analyze the rules.
And everyone nowadays has access to broadband internet, allowing us to meet in such big communities for a chat.

genuine

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 05:44:50 PM »
Another major contributor is the number of people who know and play the system. Say what you will, 3.5 seems to consistently maintain the largest player base. And more people playing means more people talking, which means more people arguing.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:22:21 PM »
Several reasons, some of which have already been touched on.

First is that it is (was) the most popular PnP RPG on the planet. Second is that it got popular right when the internet took off. Third is that the ruleset itself is incredibly flexible and it's easy to make almost any kind of character you can imagine. Fourth is that it was supported pretty well by Wizards with numerous splatbooks so there's plenty of material out there.

There's more reasons too but this is just a start.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 11:30:16 PM »
I think it is complex enough to be interesting, and breakable, so that you can accomplish things.

Compare this to Everway - fantastic game, but it isn't one that people would regularly optimize ...

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Tenebrus

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
D&D is the Common Speech and is the generic name for the whole hobby, like Kleenex or Aspirin.  We guard the reputation fiercely.

Oh, and my vote is certainly for the "illusion of a vast yet coherent super-structure, while actually creating a maddeningly obtuse jumble of rules and guidelines?" option if I have to pick just 1.

lianightdemon

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 08:13:49 AM »
It's no different then people arguing over football results or whatnot. People enjoy talking about their hobbies and interests. Ours just happen to be D&D. The internet helps a lot, allowing us to find others with the same interests. Trying to explain and talk about the game to people not interesting in it leaves them confused, and often picked on as it is not "normal". There are still people who think it is worshiping the devil.
Some people just don't have the imagination to understand the difference between fantasy and reality. If your telling them about your evil character made from the book of vile darkness who sacrifices his followers for power then they may be concerned that your being serious.

Though trying to explain LARP to someone is even harder. "You go out into the woods in costume and hit people with foam covered pipes!?" O_o

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:32:55 AM »
It's no different then people arguing over football results or whatnot. People enjoy talking about their hobbies and interests. Ours just happen to be D&D. The internet helps a lot, allowing us to find others with the same interests. Trying to explain and talk about the game to people not interesting in it leaves them confused, and often picked on as it is not "normal". There are still people who think it is worshiping the devil.
Some people just don't have the imagination to understand the difference between fantasy and reality. If your telling them about your evil character made from the book of vile darkness who sacrifices his followers for power then they may be concerned that your being serious.

Though trying to explain LARP to someone is even harder. "You go out into the woods in costume and hit people with foam covered pipes!?" O_o

Actually, I disagree.  The question is also, "why don't people have thousands of posts about ... " min-maxing Mutants and Masterminds.  Tic-Tac-Toe.  etc.

Dnd has a good mix of breakable with the illusion of balanced.  Mutants and Masterminds is really too easy to break.  Everway isn't about breakage.  Etc. 

It's not just any hobby ...
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 11:39:54 AM »
"You weirdos. Now if you'll excuse me I'm late for a historical reenactment."
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 04:03:17 PM »
For me, it's a mix of the hard crunch and the soft crunch. Looking at other systems, they are either overly hard crunch (no room for real flavor alteration) or soft crunch (pretty much everything WW has ever produced).

Towards the end of 3.5's lifespan, the hard crunch became more and more template-focused, and easier to mimic for us homebrewers. We no longer had to write out this wall of text explaining a Decanter of Endless Water's activation time, we could just put it into the premade template. People will notice that my homebrew tends to be overly templated for ease of use.

In the mean time, the soft crunch no longer had numerical values scattered through it (god only knows how many +1 bonuses someone can dig up from just CW's text), making it easier for DMs to sift through everything.

This, in my opinion, was 4E's step in the right direction (even though they managed to screw up the templates).

[spoiler][/spoiler]