Author Topic: Looking for Interest - 3.5 game (Ephemera)  (Read 14653 times)

Pan-Fried Hamster

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Looking for Interest - 3.5 game (Ephemera)
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »
I'm still trying to come up with a class combo that grabs me.  I love the flavor of a wild halfling, straw and branches in his unkempt hair, who's charmingly naive and easy to get along with, but turns into large raging animals when the "big folk" decide he's an easy mark for mugging.

What goes well on the other side of that?  Cleric is an obvious choice...

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 08:49:52 PM »
Just remember that you need to be affiliated with the university. A feral halfling might not be a typical guy you'd find in a university ;)

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 08:53:41 PM »
I could be the regional Botanist.  Maybe one of their keynote speakers on the subject.   :D

That said, I'm unfamiliar with the class, so I need to figure out how the house rules affect it.  Casting Difficulty doesn't look to be much of an issue (does it kick in when in an animal form?), it's mostly the Wildshape thing (Animal Companion I could honestly sacrifice completely if it became an issue).  How have Druids worked in your campaigns so far?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 09:00:30 PM »
Only Druid I had went into Master of Many Forms, so I can't tell you, PFH. The polymorph and animal companion nerf basically meant that most people avoid it in reaction.

SCD (Spell Casting Difficulty) kicks in whenever you are in armour. So, if your animal form is wearing barding, you will incur it. Otherwise, you are in the buff, so you don't run into it.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2008, 09:02:46 PM »
I'm gonna smoosh together an abjurer and a swashbuckler build (Int to damage)
I'll probably use a spiked chain, but perhaps not.  Depends on the group.

Also, is the percent the DC? I read your post in your link, and didn't quite get it...

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »
SCD basically works like this:

Take Leather Armour. It has a ASF of 10%. So, your base SCD DC is 10. If you want to cast a level 4 spell (say Orb of Force), then you have to make a DC 14 Concentration check to cast it successfully.

Conversely, if you are in Full Platemail, the base SCD DC would be 35. Then, you add your spell level on top of it (or DC 39 for the above Orb).

If you are wearing Mithril Full Platemail, the base SCD would be 25.

If you are a Bard, you can ignore SCD altogether while in Light Armour.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2008, 09:10:36 PM »
so, if I were to cast in light armor with an ASF of 0, I'd still have to make a concentration check of the spell's level?

and is this in addition to or replacing the spell failure chance?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2008, 09:13:49 PM »
It replaces ASF. And no, if the base is 0, then you don't have to make any checks.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2008, 09:19:30 PM »
Awesome!
One Wizard/Warblade coming right up!

I just read the flavor text a little bit more carefully...
No wizards and no Elves makes this build a lot harder to pull off...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:25:21 PM by Dan2 »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2008, 09:35:39 PM »
Wrong flavour text :) That one is another setting altogether (Legends setting). I referrenced to it so I don't have to type out all the House Rules all over again. Only the parts mentioned in the post in this thread is relevant.

Elves and wizards exist in Ephemera.

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2008, 09:39:14 PM »
Oh... (phew) ok.  That makes me a lot happier.

I was excited about playing this guy.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2008, 11:30:37 PM »
AndyJames, are you still recruiting?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2008, 11:36:59 PM »
Yes, definitely. It will always be on recruiting. I don't mind more people joining, and the university thing makes adding new players easy.

I might have to disappoint a few people and move it back to normal instead of gestalt, given the number of people, but I don't mind either way. The beauty of DnD is that I can always replace Lizardmen with Minotaurs and Imps with Hezrous if need be :D

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2008, 11:39:50 PM »
Well when you have an initial party selected (gestalt or not) let me know. :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2008, 11:41:15 PM »
Wait - no gestalt?  Boooo!

Not sure if we're doing 6th now - call?

And yeah, I'd love starting on a battlefield, in a brawl, in a dungeon - in medias res, as it were.  There's been entirely too much talking and not enough blood being flung in most of the PbPs I've seen - meh,

So here's a fun option:

The Meditant - Level by Level Progression
1 - Decisive Strike Monk (Overwhelming Attack School) 1/Warblade 1: Power Attack (Monk 1), (1st), (human).
2 - Cleric 1/Warblade 2: Travel Devotion (travel domain), Extra Turning (undeath)
3 - Psychic Warrior 1/Warblade 3: Psionic Weapon (Psychic Warrior 1), (3rd)
4 - Psion 1/Warblade 4: Psionic Meditation (Psion 15 - Psychic Warrior 2/Warblade 5: Deep Impact (Psychic Warrior 2)
Explanation: Based on a build here, this guy is martial arts coolness personified.  He carries a quarterstaff which he carries and wields like a greatsword - I may even have him simply pick up sticks wherever he goes and use Craft to make his own, just to prove what a badass he is.  In combat, he first activates Travel Devotion as a free action to gain an extra move.  He then moves to his target, expends psionic focus, and strikes using Power Attack, Deep Impact, and Decisive Strike, dealing 2d6 + (3 x Str mod) + 15 (power attack).  One hit, one kill.  Next round he refocuses with his spare move and does the same, provided there's a foe close enough; if not, he'll refocus, use a move to close with another foe, and strike using a martial adept strike (Emerald Razor for another touch attack, Mountain Hammer, Battle Leader's Charge - what have you).  If a foe is seriously far away, he'll move twice before striking.  Still have some free feats and am debating what to do with them - Up the Walls would be pretty cinematic, Combat Expertise would allow for a defensive option - the possibilities are endless.  He might be a scholar of esoteric combat who is doing research on ancient scrolls in the stacks.  Not ranged, which is annoying, but **shrug**.

Here's another fun little gem:

Air Goblin (provided it's allowed - they're the only PLAYABLE goblin race out there!)
1 - Barbarian 1/Feat Rogue 1: Point Blank Shot (1st), Precise Shot (Feat Rogue 2)
2 - Swordsage 1/Warblade 1:
3 - Swordsage 2/Fighter 1: Shadowblade (3rd), WP Finesse (Fighter 1)
4 - Warblade 2/Feat Rogue 2: WP Focus - Dagger (Feat Rogue 2)
5 - Warblade 3/Fighter 2: Far Shot (Fighter 2)
6 - Master Thrower 1/Bloodstorm Blade 1: Improved TWF (6th)

Charge, chucking 6 daggers a round, dealing Dex to damage.  Be sneaky and funky and have fun. 

Technically, he's actually a bit underpowered (read: NOT a caster!).  I'd be better off with a DMM Cleric or whatnot.

Hey - how do saves work for this?  I also might do a Master of Shrouds/Swordsage (or the Walker, of course!), which would be good fun, but I'm not sure if I know how mixing classes on one side of the gestalt will affect saves.  If we're doing partial saves, no Master of Shrouds for me, and it's not really worth it if you have to wait till level 5+ to get into it. 

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2008, 11:59:40 PM »
Aftercrescent - The initial team is already there :)

Janus - You add up the base saves for one side of the gestalt and add up the other side. Compare Fort with Fort, Ref with Ref and Will with Will. Take the higher of either. So, if on one side you have 5/7/5 and the other side you have 6/3/9, your base saves are 6/7/9.

Same with BAB.

No partial saves or BAB, please.

For now, start level 6, gestalt. There is 4 of you (5 with PFH). I can cope with that.

Oh, and stick to PHB items for starting eq as much as possible, please. Certain things from the MiC like Belt of Healing is OK, but please try to avoid the likes of Belt of Battle.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2008, 01:34:38 AM »
OK. Aftercrescent is going to open us a child forum for the game. We can move all discussions of class and whatnot there. If anyone else is interested, just come by and give us a shout. Alternatively, there is always private messaging.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2008, 02:15:27 AM »
Alright.  I'll take a bit to come up with a build as I'm in two PbPs already, but primarily because I need to figure out what I want to do.  Got an Artificer in one game and a gish in another--combine that with minimal experience actually playing and I have a bit of a head-scratcher.

Did we decide if Factotum is allowed?  It's a lot like a base class version of the Chameleon; spend your Inspiration points (regained per combat) to decide if you're doing some healing, sneakery, arcane spell slinging (based on Factotum level, max of 7th level spells), or fighting.  The most powerful ability is the one that lets them spend 3 Inspiration points to get an extra standard action, which I think they get at 8th (?).

It's an INT-based class, and the casting doesn't provoke spell failure, so I'd probably pair it with something like a Beguiler or a Warblade.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2008, 02:19:19 AM »
No. It is not from a book on the list.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2008, 02:51:46 AM »
I may see what I can do with a Chameleon, then, or maybe a Bard/Fochlu-quiche type of build.  I've a yen for a more flamboyant character.   :smirk