Author Topic: Alice Chess  (Read 9058 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Alice Chess
« on: May 20, 2011, 02:16:45 AM »
Now I'm terrible at Chess personally, but the premise of Alice Chess seems pretty interesting.

Quote from: Rules
The standard game of Alice Chess is played using two boards, A and B. All pieces move as in standard chess. The normal array is on board A; board B starts empty.

The rules are very simple. In turn, each player makes a single move on either board following these three rules:

-A move must be legal on the board where it is played.
-A piece can only move or capture if the corresponding destination square on the other board is vacant.
-After moving, the piece is transfered to the corresponding square on the other board.
:psyduck
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: Alice Chess
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:16:37 PM »
There's an easy access pile of chess variants here, including Alice:
http://www.pathguy.com/chess/ChessVar.htm
Dude plays some d&d too.

Splitting the board into two boards, is a visualization problem.
Attacking "that" piece, via an empty square on "this" board,
is a minor strategy problem, that'll only occasionally F things up.

Maybe the basic new rule is:
don't even think about tagging a space, that has a piece on both boards.
Might make for an interesting attack set-up, from or through the "safety" spot.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 04:57:53 AM »
Pfff, Alice Chess is nothing. Real Men (tm) play Alice Entropy Inertia Evolving Magnetic/Gravity Chess.

You have two boards. You have the following additional rules, beyond those of Alice Chess:

# There is no notion of check, checkmate or stalemate. The winner is the player who captures the opponent's king.
# If you moved a piece without making a capture in your last move, you are forced to play the same piece in the same direction without making a capture. If you can't, you are free to play whatever you want following Rules 1-2.
# If you made a capture in your last move, you are forced to play the same piece in the same direction and make another capture with it. If you can't, you're free to play whatever you want following rules 1-2.
# Checking or mating the opponent according to the FIDE rules in the middle of the moves are not valid reasons to stop moving/taking.
# 'Direction' is meant in the oriented sense, so that there are 16 different directions possible in all, including the knight moves.
# A king is not allowed to castle if he escapes an immediate capture or if the intermediate square he would cross is under immediate attack - like in FIDE rules but with Inertia rules of moves.
# After castling, player's next move is free: the castling king and rook stay on their new position without having to continue their course.
# After each move, the player can make an optional "brownian move", i.e., pick an enemy piece (except the king and the last moved piece) and put it on a empty square not attacked by the player's pieces. Bishops, if moved, must be placed in squares of the same color.
# A player cannot move the piece that was used in the last brownian move made by the adversary.

Additionally, you must introduce the following:

xOy
    ( x,y belongs to {b,w} and O belongs to {R,A,N} ) means a piece of colour x (b=black, w=white) operates (R=repels, A=attracts or N=don't interfere) with piece of colour y at the same row or column where it moves to (like in the above games)

eg, bRb means a black piece repels a black piece (like in Magnetic)

We can define these 4 games in the following way:

Magnetic:
    wRw wAb bAw bRb, or shortly, RAAR
Anti-Mag:
    ARRA
Gravity:
    AAAA
Anti-Grav:
    RRRR
Normal Chess:
    NNNN, ...

Each player changes one letter in the 4 letter sequence at the beginning of each round.

So... Want to play a game? It's just a conglomeration of the variants from here.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 06:41:32 AM »
I think you're going to need to make a client to handle all the psyduck going on. Heh.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Whisper

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 07:38:05 AM »
Pfff, Alice Chess is nothing. Real Men (tm) play Alice Entropy Inertia Evolving Magnetic/Gravity Chess.

... which is for sissies.

Real players play all variants as metachess. Each writes a software program that plays the chess variant, which are then pitted against each other. That's the beginner version. The experts aren't told in advance which variant they will be playing; they must write an agent that plays them all.

The masters play metametachess.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:54:20 PM »

... which is for sissies.

Real players play all variants as metachess. Each writes a software program that plays the chess variant, which are then pitted against each other. That's the beginner version. The experts aren't told in advance which variant they will be playing; they must write an agent that plays them all.

The masters play metametachess.

Well, yeah, but I'd like veekie's mind to stay in one piece.
Ease 'em in, y'know?

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »
I don't know Veekie well enough, to assume his mind already is in one piece.
This might instead actually be my problem ... but "we" already know that  ;)

Sheesh !
That variant is the craziest thing I've ever heard.
I could play myself, and never win.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:24:52 PM by awaken DM golem »

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:24:29 PM »
What's really a nightmare is Chatter Chess; whenever a long mover (rook/bishop/nightrider (repeating knight, basically)/queen, essentially) crosses the path of another long mover of the same color, they can swap onto that movement track. Bishops have to land on their color.

Essentially, you can have piece movements that look more like a drunken walk than anything else.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »
Would it be possible to have a sort of "chain variant" chess variant, where after every move you make, you switch to a different chess variant such that your move was valid in both the new and old variants?
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »
Actually, yes, it would be possible. You just have to pick the right chess variants; a lot of them are deeply similar.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 08:28:08 AM »
How about Random Chess? Whenever black has moved, you roll a D20 and the game changes to the appropriate variant.

Alternatively, have it after every player has moved.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 06:53:37 PM »
This has given me an idea...

Kriegspiel, but both players are playing different chess variants.
How do you like dem apples?

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »
Y'know ...  :plotting ... the more random that gets put into the game structure,

the greater the chance that a really good Human can beat Deep Blue.

The pattern recognition type programs would eventually win  :pout but it'd take awhile.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 09:06:21 PM »
I just had another idea (I know, it seems like I have a ton of them...)

Set up a subforum in the PbP section of the boards. After all, PbP chess is the granddaddy of all PbP games, so...

And it would allow you to play all the crazy games you probably couldn't get people you live near to play with you!

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]