Author Topic: Save this Character the DM gave.  (Read 6979 times)

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: Save this Character the DM gave.
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2011, 09:36:41 PM »
From smite to song can make you throw away your smite attempts and instead get the ability to sing lovely songs. Then I need only direct you here:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9830.0

However I do second the supermount idea. That way you could essentially just play the gold dragon, and have the paladin follow around as his servant.

Also remember to grab leadership in two levels so you can have a character you like.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Bard

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2011, 05:57:27 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help, at the end he decided to go Paladin 2/Cleric 1/Crusader X/RKV 10 hoping that the DM allows the refluffing of the latter with Lathander as a god. (With DMM: Persist for some buffs and if allowed the feat from Dragonlance to use Charisma to cast for the Cleric)
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

Sjappo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
Glad it is sorted out, but seriously this sucks.

Your DM has to remember that he is a player as well. He cannot tell people what to do. If he absolutely positively has to have a paladin of X in his group he has 2 choices. 1: ask really really nicely. With cream on top and no bickering about ACF's PF and allowed books. Or 2: play the damned thing himself as a DMPC (the horror)

On second thought there is a 3rd option. Think of a better plothook. Work for it dammit.

Bard

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »

Your DM has to remember that he is a player as well. He cannot tell people what to do. If he absolutely positively has to have a paladin of X in his group he has 2 choices. 1: ask really really nicely. With cream on top and no bickering about ACF's PF and allowed books. Or 2: play the damned thing himself as a DMPC (the horror)

On second thought there is a 3rd option. Think of a better plothook. Work for it dammit.

Actually if I were the DM I'd go with "4: you don't need paladin levels to be a paladin in an order of paladins, Lawful Good character with Favoured souls, clerics, crusaders, prestige paladins and a lot more as classes make perfect paladins, hell even a pure fighter could fit the role, it's all about the character behaviour and fluff, not so much about the class."
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

Sjappo

• Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2011, 08:42:51 AM »

Actually if I were the DM I'd go with "4: you don't need paladin levels to be a paladin in an order of paladins, Lawful Good character with Favoured souls, clerics, crusaders, prestige paladins and a lot more as classes make perfect paladins, hell even a pure fighter could fit the role, it's all about the character behaviour and fluff, not so much about the class."
True that.

But it doesn't adress the issue of a DM telling a player what to play. This just changes it to "you must play a holy warrior of X". Still sucks, just a little less so. Still needs 1: pretty please etc.

Bigtuna

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2011, 09:15:49 AM »
just hope he has some grand plan with it. Which would make it all better :-)

Something like a great plot, that ends with rewards, that makes the paladin worthwhile...
(true believer as a bonus feat long with a nice relic would be nice...)

Sjappo

• Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2011, 01:02:32 PM »
just hope he has some grand plan with it. Which would make it all better :-)

Something like a great plot, that ends with rewards, that makes the paladin worthwhile...
(true believer as a bonus feat long with a nice relic would be nice...)
It's often a bad idea to hang a campaign on one player or PC. That player could quit for instance. Other players could resent that one player is the centre of attention and getting more of the spotlight. The player could feel pressure because he has te drive the plot and it could kill his fun.

I'd say never do this or discuss it with all players at the start of the campaign. everybody on board? Go for it.