Author Topic: No love for shifters?  (Read 3610 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
No love for shifters?
« on: May 18, 2011, 01:57:14 PM »
Why do I never see anyone using shifter in builds? For LA +0 they have some neat stuff like the (shapechanger) subtype, free natural weapons and flight. (Yes, flight at lv1, but you can't use your hands) Dreamsight shifters are one of the few LA +0 races with a bonus to a mental stat, and can speak to animals (and possibly see invisibility) on top of that. Plus they have some interesting feats like one that forces creatures into their true forms, another which is Improved Critical plus double-strength Improved Natural Attack for all natural weapons, and another which dazes anyone struck by your Power Attack. Not to mention they get an exclusive druid PrC which advances both spellcasting and wild shape (and you can trade your wildshape for improved shifting, get it back via the PrC, then use both at once).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:58:49 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Re: No love for shifters?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 02:13:47 PM »
1) Not Realms! aka Eberron material.

2) Tends to beg for a lot of racial feats which limits diversity.

3) Have you been looking for Druids, Barbarians, or Totemists? Because they are kinda awesome there.

My personal related grumble would be not enough builds with dragonmarks. (See #2) I mean sure they aren't more than a tier 3 but I'd like to see what twisted nightmares other people can spew out involving merchant houses.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 02:31:55 PM »
I just wish the Weretouched Master was a druid progressing class.  I'd gladly make a shifter for the sole purpose of recreating my werewolf Ulfhednar from D2, or one of the Bloody Roar characters, if it did.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:26:11 PM »
As said above, Shifters are feat hogs.  That limits them to, basically, one character concept: rage out and kill shit in melee (or, in case of the Dreamsight one, rage out and kill shit with spells).

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:17:59 PM »
How about a contest then. Make the least shifter loveable build! He should be a viable build that uses the race and the least amount of shifter racial feats yet still achieve the the quintessence of lycanhood.

Thoughts?

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 06:33:40 PM »
shifter monks, who needs hands.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:45:34 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Shifter Druid with Longtooth Elite.  Every bite attack deals 1 point of CON damage.  Be a PHBII Shapeshift Druid and have a permanent bite attack from level 1.  Or for higher level games, grab Frozen Wild Shape and turn into a Cryo-Hydra.  Now you get 12 bite attacks.  Combine with Mouthpick weapon enhancement for greater amounts of ridiculosity. :)
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 12:08:03 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Shifter Druid with Longtooth Elite.  Every bite attack deals 1 point of CON damage.  Be a PHBII Shapeshift Druid and have a permanent bite attack from level 1.  Or for higher level games, grab Frozen Wild Shape and turn into a Cryo-Hydra.  Now you get 12 bite attacks.  Combine with Mouthpick weapon enhancement for greater amounts of ridiculosity. :)
1 Con damage at level 1 isn't all that impressive...

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 12:12:09 AM »
When I first saw the title, I was thinking the old PrC Shifter.

if the Weretouched Master didn't get ass-raped in the FAQ, it would have stayed in the top 30 prestige classes.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 12:47:15 AM »
if the Weretouched Master didn't get ass-raped in the FAQ, it would have stayed in the top 30 prestige classes.
What did the FAQ do exactly?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 01:32:45 AM »
Drastically reduced the 5th level ability's stat increases.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 03:41:03 AM »
They would probably make a decent race choice for E6, given that full BAB classes only get two attacks while Full Attacking and Shifter can get a couple natural weapon attacks on top of that. Add in the feats you can buy after 6 and you greatly reduce the drawback of the race being feat-intensive to compete.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 01:02:28 AM »
1 Con damage at level 1 isn't all that impressive...

I think by attrition, it would do something. After all, 1 con damage a round (+1 from a potential AoO) can be a little irksome.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 02:15:25 AM »
Which can get even uglier using Aptitude weapons... now all your Dervish scimitar attacks deal Con damage with a tiny feat.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »
Shifter psychic warrior? Lots of feats (which can be swapped out to shifter feats using the DCFS), especially if you take other routes for nabbing bonus feats as well.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

DrPhro

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 07:05:59 PM »
Even if weretouched master did get nerfed the first lvl ability is still worth it in my opinion. When you're stacking natural weapon damage every bit counts. Not to mention easy entry into warshaper because of the shapechanger subtype. Even if you don't want to focus on stacking it's still pretty easy with shifter savagery which gives a +2 size bonus while raging and shifted. You can also get a braid of dire shifting, a cheap consumable item that gives you a size bonus while shifting. That's a pretty good self buff for 150 gp if you ask me.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »
Shifter psychic warrior? Lots of feats (which can be swapped out to shifter feats using the DCFS), especially if you take other routes for nabbing bonus feats as well.
You can probably just stick with Psychic Warrior and rake in as many feats as you can.  Psychic Warriors get some nice powers augmenting natural weapons, so you can use shifter with a typical King of Smack build.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 07:25:06 PM »
You can probably just stick with Psychic Warrior and rake in as many feats as you can.  Psychic Warriors get some nice powers augmenting natural weapons, so you can use shifter with a typical King of Smack build.
But you're not an aberration so you can't nab Rapidstrike, unfortunately.

Though I'm sure there's a template or two you can grab for this.

Half-illithid shifter?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 09:52:22 PM »
I've thought about it, mainly for the joys of Bloodclaw Master for a crazy dual wielding Warblade.  But otherwise they fall out to the other much more interesting Eberron Shapeshifter: Changeling.

Changeling is just too silly fun to pass up.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 10:14:53 PM »
buy a Necklace of Natural Weapons and put aptitude on it

Half-illithid shifter?

that reminds me.... i want to make a half-illithid 12-headed hydra