Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!  (Read 159918 times)

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!
« Reply #780 on: June 27, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »
I assume dread necromancer might work as well. It's got enough spells (and hopefully flying skeletons/zombies) to down the first dragon, and it all goes downhill from there: animate first dragon, use it to kill second dragon; you now have 2 undead dragons, use them to kill 3rd dragon etc.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #781 on: June 27, 2011, 11:32:10 AM »
Thanks.  Guess I'd better study up on the Tome of Battle, getting items I need when I need them (such as material components) is like pulling teeth.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

TenaciousJ

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #782 on: June 27, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »
Q281 I'm confused about the wording of Strength Devotion with regard to characters that already have a natural weapon.  If I have a Shifter with the Razorclaw trait, does it gain a +2 bonus to attacks with its claws from Strength Devotion?  Does the +2 circumstance bonus apply to any natural weapons the character already has, or only a slam (i.e. warforged)?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #783 on: June 27, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »
So I've got a weird corner-case in the rules.  I'm advancing an Uthraki (UE) into Shapeshifter (OA) which grants wildshape.  I use the wildshape rules from the 3.0 book Masters of the Wild (which ends up being very similar to what 3.5 wildshaped ended up being when it finally errata'd to work like Alternate Form); however, this set of wildshape rules states that the subject retains its extraordinary abilities.  No division of extraordinary qualities vs extraordinary attacks, and no division between Ex abilities gained from class levels vs those gained from your race.

The Uthraki gets Rend for 2d6+7 damage.  Although Rend is never actually defined in the core rules, the half-troll template from Fiend Folio specifies that the rend ability (granted by that template, and equal in calculation to all monster stat examples) deals set dice of damage (always 2x the claw base damage) plus 1.5x Str mod.

Q 281a: The Uthraki wildshapes into a Lynx (Races of Faerun), which has claws that deal 1d3-2 damage, but still technically has its Rend Ex ability.  Should the rend deal 2d6+7 damage, or should the damage be based on the lynx claw damage.

Q281b: If the damage is based on the lynx claw damage, should it be 2d3-3?  Normally you only multiply ability mod bonuses, not the penalties.  But the Half-troll rend does state Strength modifier.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Hazren

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #784 on: June 27, 2011, 02:32:03 PM »
Q252 Can someone please explain how to use Elemental binding as a cost reducer. Preferably with sources listed. I've read about it, but I'm still pretty lost. If it matters, it's for an artificer build with elemental binding and magical artisan: elemental binding along with extraordinary artisan and legendary artisan. I'm still creating the character(lvl 20) so if it doesn't work, I'll just change the feats. Thanks

I've seen on the boards where it was said they do reduce it, but no one ever explained it. All I have found on them is what they do, ECS pg 265-267, and that you need the feat in order to use them for these items.

Most likely someone saw it in a Dragon mag or in one of those annoying side bars that aren't indexed or listed in one of the eberron books. So I'll second the want for seeing a good answer to this question.
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern

rot42

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #785 on: June 27, 2011, 02:35:53 PM »
Q252 Can someone please explain how to use Elemental binding as a cost reducer. Preferably with sources listed. I've read about it, but I'm still pretty lost. If it matters, it's for an artificer build with elemental binding and magical artisan: elemental binding along with extraordinary artisan and legendary artisan. I'm still creating the character(lvl 20) so if it doesn't work, I'll just change the feats. Thanks

bump

bump

1) Take the Bind Elemental feat (Eberron Campaign Setting 51); requires Craft Wondrous and CL 9
2) Acquire a Khyber dragonshard to imbed in the magic item being crafted; using a smaller dragonshard to bind a larger elemental increases the difficulty (see table on Magic of Eberron 13)
3) One crafter casts (or emulates as described in the Bind Elemental feat) Planar Binding (or Lesser or Greater depending on the HD of the elemental to be bound); a second crafter performs the actual binding, and makes the Charisma checks. This is similar to a normal Planar Binding, but the Charisma check represents "able to stuff the elemental into the shard" rather than a negotiation.
4) Reduce the base price by 5% for each size category of the bound elemental above Medium.

If you want a 10% price reduction, cast Greater Planar Binding to compel a Huge elemental of the appropriate type to enter a Khyber dragonshard. A 4" dragonshard is sufficient to use the given DC, while a smaller one increases the difficulty of the binding Charisma check.

edit:

I've seen on the boards where it was said they do reduce it, but no one ever explained it. All I have found on them is what they do, ECS pg 265-267, and that you need the feat in order to use them for these items.

Most likely someone saw it in a Dragon mag or in one of those annoying side bars that aren't indexed or listed in one of the eberron books. So I'll second the want for seeing a good answer to this question.

The cost reduction part is in Magic of Eberron, starting on page 11. Seconding the wish that WotC were better at indexing their material. Players' Guide to Eberron, for instance, has a wealth of feats and prestige classes organized by region or affiliation instead of actually putting the game mechanics all in one place and labeling it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:49:28 PM by rot42 »

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #786 on: June 27, 2011, 02:50:31 PM »
Q282

i thought we had kobold and dragon handbooks?

The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #787 on: June 27, 2011, 03:45:48 PM »
Q 283: Can I still make a reflex save while blinded?

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #788 on: June 27, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »
There is nothing that can deny you a reflex save. Blinded, unconscious, paralyzed, helpless, any of it.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #789 on: June 27, 2011, 03:56:31 PM »
There is nothing that can deny you a reflex save. Blinded, unconscious, paralyzed, helpless, any of it.

a magic sword lying on the floor doing nothing still gets a reflex save most of the time...

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #790 on: June 27, 2011, 04:01:05 PM »

a magic sword lying on the floor doing nothing still gets a reflex save most of the time...
The devs said in an Ask article once Ref saves represented a combination of pure dumb luck, in addition to any magical resistance or dodging skill.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #791 on: June 27, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »
Q277: Is there any possible overlap between "Tier 3" and "able to shut down or kill a true dragon," for levels 6-12 and assuming a dragon CR no higher than character level +3?  Cold subtype dragons are a possibility.

Factotums do it easily against the ones that aren't immune to cold (sneak up via Darkstalker, then fire off Spectral Hand + Shivering Touch and add Int to the dex damage.  At level 8 they can fire both spells in one round.  At level 11 they can ignore SR with this attack).  They can also sneak up on the cold subtypes, but killing them becomes harder (wait till it's sleeping and Coup De Gras with IF?).  Since they can fire off Ghoul Glyph as a standard action, they can also sneak up and use that spell to paralyze the dragon, then finish it off.  Dread Necromancers can pull similar tricks but can't use stealth so easily, nor can they use Ghoul Glyph as a standard action... then again, they can make much better use of the dead dragon later...

Q280 Aside from Rainbow Servant and Arcane Disciple, is there any easy way (at least, not too cheesy so a newbie in 3.5 can understand) to add the cure spells to an arcane base class?

A280:  Bards have them already.  If you wanted, you could go Bard/Sublime Chord or Bard/War Weaver or even both.

As a cheesy option (possibly too much), Dragonwrought Kobolds can take Sovereign Archetypes from Dragons of Eberron.  Many of those add Cleric or Druid spells to your spell list, so if you're an arcane caster you can get them that way.

JaronK

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #792 on: June 27, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »
Why would you use Ghoul Glyph against a true dragon even if it were a free action?  The lot of them (or at least the core ones) are immune to paralysis effects, and around level 12ish they start being Huge anyway.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
« Reply #793 on: June 27, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »
Q281: Any items to reduce falling damage without slowing the fall? (allready found Boots of Landing and a 4k gold armor enchantment, total reduction is by 60ft + 2d6 so far, but i need way more).

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #794 on: June 27, 2011, 06:57:39 PM »
Q281: Any items to reduce falling damage without slowing the fall? (allready found Boots of Landing and a 4k gold armor enchantment, total reduction is by 60ft + 2d6 so far, but i need way more).
Play a monk? *shudder*
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Tr011

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • preparing arcane spellcaster
    • Email
« Reply #795 on: June 27, 2011, 07:05:45 PM »
A monk gains slow fall. I need to take no falling damage (passivly and without any class levels) without slowing my fall down.
The background is: I wanna play a (huge-sized) Barbarian with Fling Enemy (SS-Feat). This allows you also to throw allies, but they take the "falling" damage, too. And because my character makes tons of attacks (by throwing people) at a higher level, I need to keep the damage to my mates low.

I found: Landing (armor enhancement to reduce by 60ft), boots of landing (boots to reduce by 2d6), Anti-Impact (armor-enhancement to half the falling damage) and hammerblock (armor enhancement for DR 5/piercing or slashing). This means a fall of 100ft is reduced to 40, damage reduced to 2d6, then halved and then reduced by 5 (so mostly 0). This is great for a throwing distance of 200ft (counts as 100ft-fall for the damage).
But I got a max range of 600ft, so there is still much to do to reduce the damage more.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #796 on: June 27, 2011, 07:11:15 PM »
Why would you use Ghoul Glyph against a true dragon even if it were a free action?  The lot of them (or at least the core ones) are immune to paralysis effects, and around level 12ish they start being Huge anyway.

Bah, right, I forgot about that part.  Well, stick with the Shivering Touch plan.  It works on over 90% of dragons.  For when it doesn't, there's always Darkstalker based assassination.

JaronK

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #797 on: June 27, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »
Q 285: The spell-like abilities that a spellstiched undead casts, though dependent upon its wisdom score, still have their save DC's determined by the creature's Charisma modifier, right?

So a high-Wisdom, low-Charisma undead is going to have lots of SLA's, with crappy DC's?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #798 on: June 27, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »
Q286
In the module Anauroch: Empire of Shade, what is the expected party level?  The cover says levels 9-13, but the intro says the party should start at level 13!

Please avoid spoilers in answering this question!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:48:19 PM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #799 on: June 27, 2011, 09:21:25 PM »
Warblade, Crusader...Tier three can kill true dragons unless they are higher CR and the fight is weighted against the PCs due to terrain or surprise.

I think a Factotum could pitch in on these in a reasonable way as well.
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.