Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!  (Read 160181 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!
« Reply #460 on: June 13, 2011, 11:11:01 AM »
Q172: Is there any spell or magical item that allows the user to determine how many levels a creature has?  Or simply whether they are at least level 2 or higher?  The intention is to determine whether they can take at least one negative level without dying, ideally without their knowing.
Detect [Alignment] spells can help somewhat, especially if they are a cleric, or an undead or outsider.  If they are just a random creature, then they can at least tell you if they have more than 10 HD or not.

A Holy Word spell could also help you determine it, indirectly.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #461 on: June 13, 2011, 11:12:19 AM »
Q 165:  If I am a druid who has wildshaped into a Wolverine, and I get hit for damage, does the Wolverine's rage ability prevent me from casting spells?

Q 166:  An animal is under the effects of a Haste spell.  Does it get an extra natural weapon attack (be it bite, claw, whatever)?  Note that Haste says "When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding."

If the answer is no, could a wildshaped druid under the same circumstances use the extra granted attack to touch with a touch spell, and then proceed with a normal full attack (claw, claw, bite)?
Need to know these for a game I'm running tonight, thanks.
A 165

As the ability is written, there is nothing linking it to the Barbarian's Rage other than the shared name, so the ability only includes what it says. You'd still be able to cast spells, make skill checks with mental skills, and so on. It could be argued that this is because the designers didn't think far enough to notice a Druid might Wild Shape into a Wolverine, therefore the intent would be otherwise, but that's how it would work by a literal reading.

A 166

It should get the extra attack, with any of its natural weapons it chooses. Using the extra attack for a touch spell doesn't work, as little as you can substitute a touch spell for one of your attacks in a regular full attack sequence.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:13:55 AM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #462 on: June 13, 2011, 03:03:52 PM »
Q172: Is there any spell or magical item that allows the user to determine how many levels a creature has?  Or simply whether they are at least level 2 or higher?  The intention is to determine whether they can take at least one negative level without dying, ideally without their knowing.
Cityscape probably does.

Alternatively, there some rules in Kalamar and I think Forgotten Realms on slave pricing.  An appraise check would work too.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #463 on: June 13, 2011, 06:32:33 PM »
A 166

It should get the extra attack, with any of its natural weapons it chooses. Using the extra attack for a touch spell doesn't work, as little as you can substitute a touch spell for one of your attacks in a regular full attack sequence.
I'm assuming you said "no" on the touch spell because you thought I meant to cast one, and touch with it?  I actually meant to use a touch spell on which you are holding the charge.  Regardless, it doesn't really matter since it gets the extra natural weapon attack anyway.

Q 173: Does an advanced HD animal companion get stat-boosts for every 4 HD it gains?  The Animal Companion rules state they get +1 Str/Dex each category they advance, and it states they get skills and feats as normal for advancing HD, but no mention of the 1 per 4 levels stat boost.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:36:30 PM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #464 on: June 13, 2011, 06:45:19 PM »
A 166

I'm assuming you said "no" on the touch spell because you thought I meant to cast one, and touch with it?  I actually meant to use a touch spell on which you are holding the charge.  Regardless, it doesn't really matter since it gets the extra natural weapon attack anyway.
Ah, I see. That was indeed my assumption. If it's a spell you've already cast... yeah, I think you should be able to deliver one. IIRC, you can deliver one anyway with an unarmed or natural attack, though, so you could have your cake and eat it too here.

Q 173: Does an advanced HD animal companion get stat-boosts for every 4 HD it gains?  The Animal Companion rules state they get +1 Str/Dex each category they advance, and it states they get skills and feats as normal for advancing HD, but no mention of the 1 per 4 levels stat boost.
Since no specific mention is made, I'd assume that the HD follow all the normal rules for advancing HD where not stated otherwise, which would include the stat boosts, I believe.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #465 on: June 13, 2011, 07:57:15 PM »
Q174:  What is the name of those boots (I'm pretty sure from MIC) that let you always act as if you're readied / set against a charge?
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #466 on: June 13, 2011, 08:25:39 PM »
Q174:  What is the name of those boots (I'm pretty sure from MIC) that let you always act as if you're readied / set against a charge?
A 174

Steadfast Boots. Specifically, they allow you to treat any two-handed weapon as if it was set against a charge, and gives some bonuses against combat maneuvers.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #467 on: June 13, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »
Perfect.  Thanks!
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Hasmadad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #468 on: June 13, 2011, 11:44:09 PM »
Q175 There was a very good listing of class abilities ordered alphabetically, but my search-fu is still in bed with a flu. Halp appreciated.

-Uncle Has

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #469 on: June 14, 2011, 03:38:01 AM »
A 175 http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2546.msg79484#msg79484 try this

Q 176: Besides the feats I already have (Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning, Ashbound, Greenbound Summoning) What are ways to pimp out Summon Nature's Ally?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

heroicraptor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #470 on: June 14, 2011, 04:48:34 AM »
A176: Half-Orc Druid substitution level 7.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #471 on: June 14, 2011, 04:52:57 AM »
A 175 http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2546.msg79484#msg79484 try this

Q 176: Besides the feats I already have (Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning, Ashbound, Greenbound Summoning) What are ways to pimp out Summon Nature's Ally?
A 176b

If you worship Elhonna, Complete Champion has a specific holy symbol that adds another hit point per HD to your summons.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #472 on: June 14, 2011, 03:23:04 PM »
Q177) Are there any permanent magical items (preferably in Core or MIC) that allow the user to use Plane Shift?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #473 on: June 14, 2011, 06:17:59 PM »
Q177) Are there any permanent magical items (preferably in Core or MIC) that allow the user to use Plane Shift?

A177)  Would the Cubic Gate (DMG) work?  It's crazy expensive, though.

Epimetheus

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #474 on: June 14, 2011, 07:30:43 PM »
Q188 The Visionary Speaker's (Planar Handbook) Spell Mimic ability lets you copy spells (up to 10th lvl) 3/day. The ability says that material components and focuses must be provided, but is XP still spent?

(Note: This is unlike the Spellthief's description, where they explicitly include XP cost.)

If XP costs are not included, does staying all 10 levels (lose 5 CL) still keep you on par with your full caster buddies [as you can spontaneously copy any 9th lvl spells, especially Miracle, Wish, Genesis, etc., they use]?

Q189 Is there anything that lets you use class abilities extra times per day?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #475 on: June 14, 2011, 07:45:13 PM »
Q189 Is there anything that lets you use class abilities extra times per day?
Squire of legend.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Emo_Duck

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #476 on: June 14, 2011, 11:46:59 PM »
Q190
If an Illithid Savant has acquired the spellcasting class feature from a brain it has consumed, can it be advanced via prestige classes and the like?

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #477 on: June 15, 2011, 12:18:01 AM »
Q191: if a race can manifest a power as a manifester of half their level, does that qualify them for feats that say "Prerequisites: Manifester level 1st"?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #478 on: June 15, 2011, 12:27:33 AM »
Q191: if a race can manifest a power as a manifester of half their level, does that qualify them for feats that say "Prerequisites: Manifester level 1st"?
Yes. They have a manifester level.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #479 on: June 15, 2011, 01:37:56 PM »
Question 192: Is the extra damage from a spear spikard added to the primary damage roll or considered a second damage roll for dr and other purposes?

Thought it might be fun to use a changeling, quick-loading spear spikard in an exotic campaign.