Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!  (Read 160189 times)

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question 25: Welcome to DIE!
« Reply #260 on: May 31, 2011, 04:41:15 AM »
Is this for 3e or 4e?

Zebu

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2011, 04:41:47 AM »
It's for 3.5.

Esgath

« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2011, 04:45:44 AM »
Q 96: Could I completely negate falling damage with Abrupt Jaunt?

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2011, 04:53:04 AM »
Tomorrow I can send you my list of magical beasts, elementals, and outsiders by planes

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #264 on: May 31, 2011, 06:56:43 AM »
Q 97a:  Can a kobold lycanthrope (inherited) with multiple racial HD take the Dragonwrought feat with its 1st HD?
Q 97b:  Would changing the kobold's type from Humanoid to Dragon have any effect on its Animal HD?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

ILM

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #265 on: May 31, 2011, 07:02:17 AM »
Q93
I'm building a Beholder Mage using, Divine Minion of Thoth, Abberant Wild Shape and Assume Supernatural Abiltiy. I can't decide whether to go with Rainbow Servant, incantatrix or to mix it up with Ur-Priest and go Mystic Theuge. It's a level 15 build, and I really want to be able to persist my spells, but would also love to throw some cleric spells in there. What do I do?
So the simple question is: What is better, Beholder Mage 3/Incantatrix 10/Something 2 (probably arcane archer or something silly); Beholder Mage 1/Rainbow Servant 10/Incantatrix 4 (probably some fighter type); Or Beholder Mage 1/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theuge 8/Incantatrix 4.

Ps. My base race could be just about anything, so I guess I could be a Gnome and go Shadowcraft mage, but is that better than Incantatrix?
I would say that at a glance, Beholder Mage 1/RS 10/Incantatrix 4 looks the best.

He sees what you did there...

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #266 on: May 31, 2011, 07:28:26 AM »
Q93
I'm building a Beholder Mage using, Divine Minion of Thoth, Abberant Wild Shape and Assume Supernatural Abiltiy. I can't decide whether to go with Rainbow Servant, incantatrix or to mix it up with Ur-Priest and go Mystic Theuge. It's a level 15 build, and I really want to be able to persist my spells, but would also love to throw some cleric spells in there. What do I do?
So the simple question is: What is better, Beholder Mage 3/Incantatrix 10/Something 2 (probably arcane archer or something silly); Beholder Mage 1/Rainbow Servant 10/Incantatrix 4 (probably some fighter type); Or Beholder Mage 1/Ur-Priest 2/Mystic Theuge 8/Incantatrix 4.

Ps. My base race could be just about anything, so I guess I could be a Gnome and go Shadowcraft mage, but is that better than Incantatrix?
I would say that at a glance, Beholder Mage 1/RS 10/Incantatrix 4 looks the best. You get a lot of metamagic goodies, no CL loss, no having to keep track of more than one CL and you are STILL delightfully SAD.

Thanks, I guess that was what I figured as well.

It does raise the question of what to ban with Incantatrix though. Normally I'd go Evocation without a second thought, but since Miracle is an Evocation spell, perhaps I should ban Enchantment or Necromancy instead.

EDIT: Q98 on a related note, how does the eye rays aspect of the beholder work when you shapechange into something else? Because I would prefer sticking around in a Solar form instead of that lousy Beholder form, but can I still cast 10 spells a round then?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:10:18 AM by Mixster »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Zebu

« Reply #267 on: May 31, 2011, 11:51:35 AM »
Tomorrow I can send you my list of magical beasts, elementals, and outsiders by planes

Please do.

Arz

• Email
« Reply #268 on: May 31, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »
Q98: Is it possible to get a warlock's dark invocation with no warlock levels? How about with just two warlock levels?

Please do not mention Spellthief as I am aware of this method of gaining spell-likes.

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #269 on: May 31, 2011, 05:08:08 PM »
Q99: Is there a way to treat natural weapons as monk weapons?
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #270 on: May 31, 2011, 05:19:37 PM »
Q99: Is there a way to treat natural weapons as monk weapons?

Far from a complete answer but Beast Strike will let you add the base damage of certain natural weapons to your existing unarmed strikes.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #271 on: May 31, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
Q 96: Could I completely negate falling damage with Abrupt Jaunt?
Assuming you aren't flat-footed when you fall, yes. D&D does not contemplate the idea of conserving momentum after teleportation.

It's not limited to Abrupt Jaunt either. You could do this with any form of teleportation so long as you can spare the action to do it.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #272 on: May 31, 2011, 11:43:02 PM »
Q 97a:  Can a kobold lycanthrope (inherited) with multiple racial HD take the Dragonwrought feat with its 1st HD?
Q 97b:  Would changing the kobold's type from Humanoid to Dragon have any effect on its Animal HD?
I believe so (in fact, IIRC there's something in PGtF or FRCS that says if you have RHD you can take first level feats as your third level feat instead).

Reverse engineer these guys to figure out their hd
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20061027a
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #273 on: June 01, 2011, 01:05:49 AM »
I believe so (in fact, IIRC there's something in PGtF or FRCS that says if you have RHD you can take first level feats as your third level feat instead).

I don't see anything stopping you. Those kind of feats typically just rely on being a specific race, so then your type and subtypes don't matter.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #274 on: June 01, 2011, 08:42:19 AM »
Bump...

Q88 How the feat Augment Healing (Complete Divine) interacts with Vigor spells? All the fast healing is increased, or the extra healing only comes into play at the time of casting?

radionausea

• Email
« Reply #275 on: June 01, 2011, 09:44:10 AM »
Q.100

Can spells cast with metamagic reductions (DMM/Anima Mage etc) be crafted into items? Persistent Hunter's Eye made into a 2nd level eternal wand by using cost removers for example?

(this has probably been asked before but there are so many posts in all the ask a simple question threads)
Stronghearted halflings do not exist.

rot42

« Reply #276 on: June 01, 2011, 11:05:25 AM »
Q.100

Can spells cast with metamagic reductions (DMM/Anima Mage etc) be crafted into items? Persistent Hunter's Eye made into a 2nd level eternal wand by using cost removers for example?

(this has probably been asked before but there are so many posts in all the ask a simple question threads)

A 100: Mostly no - the enchanted item sees "Persisted Hunter's Eye", an eighth or whatever level - a spell that will not fit in the wand. A fifth level wizard with the right reducer could, however, create a wand of Extended Fly (a fourth level spell). Sanctum Spell might work for cheaper wands - Blink in a second level wand with minimum caster level 5 (do not expect these to be available on the open market).

You could also probably use the items powered by Bardic Music as precedent for custom crafting an item powered by those class features without the character taking class or feat (although be nice to your DM by explaining exactly how you plan to exploit this).

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #277 on: June 01, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
That doesn't take into account spells that act as different levels for different classes though, as you can have items and make them cheaper if you can provide them at the lowest classes level. I would say as long as you could provide the modified spell every day of the item creation it counts as the level of the spell after the metamagic modification, if that's +0 from reducers so be it. The spell itself would still have to qualify for the item creation feat.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #278 on: June 01, 2011, 12:18:35 PM »
Q 101 Looking for a construct, not unlike a warforged, that's LN and in the 3.5 D&D books. I thought they were maybe a clockwork creature, but I could be wrong. IIRC, the picture had three of them on it.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Hazren

« Reply #279 on: June 01, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »
Q 101 Looking for a construct, not unlike a warforged, that's LN and in the 3.5 D&D books. I thought they were maybe a clockwork creature, but I could be wrong. IIRC, the picture had three of them on it.

A 101 MM3.5 pg 158  Inevitable might be what you are looking for.
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern