Author Topic: IC - Become a Man Before Thinking About Being a Hero  (Read 13134 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
IC - Become a Man Before Thinking About Being a Hero
« on: May 17, 2011, 03:08:11 AM »
With the winter finally over, the small village of Ardis was finally coming out of their homes, bringing with them various types of decorations and ornaments. It has been a bitter cold winter season this year. Much colder than it had been in the past, but now it was finally time to get the village ready for the Ardistrice Festival. Every year, during the first week of Gozran, the village paid tribute to all those who had founded the city 34 years ago.

Allric Brunnling, the blacksmith, has started his forge fire, and brought out what some people have called a mystic hammer. It's no good for battle, but some say that it's because of that item that he can forge some of the best steel in the country. It's his duty to make sure everyone has enough gear for all the contests that may be run this year. Part of him knows that Bela's likely to win the archery contest yet again this year.

Lt. Ashten, the city guard chief, has rounded up each of his men to give them a quick briefing. Rumour has it that more people have considering on coming down here for the three day long festival. This is great for the village itself, but it's going to be madness for them. This means a possibility for more pick-pocketing thieves, con artists, or bar brawlers. Everyone must be on guard for such occurrences. If such a person is caught, they are to immediately call for help with their signal whistle, and someone would come to help them.

Thomas, the innkeeper and bartender, polishes his club with an abnormally large grin on his face. How long had it been since he got to play "Bouncer" for his own bar with his favorite toy, the jawbreaker? He'd been in a good mood all morning since Lt. Ashten had informed him that there'd possibly be more people than usual this year. This meant that if things got out of hand, he'd be able to bring his own justice to the table. Everyone in the town knew to not mess with Thomas and his bar, but it seemed his reputation outside of the town still needed a little work. It was no secret that for a little extra commission, Lt. Ashten, Bandor, and the mayor, Reginald Balor, would look the other way during the festival, so long as everything happened within the establishment itself.

Bela went to the North end of town, and started setting up the standing targets, and the tree-hanging targets for the archery contest. She made sure that it was a little more difficult this year than it had been during the previous two years. She had a reputation to uphold, and she was pretty sure her number one rival, the centaur, Cherie, would try to outdo her yet again. If he wasn't all talk, he'd have an ace up this sleeve this year.

At the entrance to the city, a number of carts were slowing making their way into town. They were merchants from all over, with various kind of goods that they'd hoped to sell during the festival. The largest of the carts made it's way towards Thomas' inn. They held kegs and kegs of alcohol for the annual drinking contest. Most of them were usually donated by newer wineries or breweries to better advertise their drinks.

In the center of the village, a few villagers started bring large chunks of wood, while the children helped by bringing small branches. On Fireday, they'd make one of the largest bonfires to dance around. While they always tried to, the people of Ardis were never able to outdo themselves for the size of the flame. Maybe this would be the year that they could make a bonfire so large that even the gods themselves could see it.

Father Saxson brought his brothers together for a speech. Since this village had a shrine housing multiple gods, he made sure to remind everyone that discretion must be upheld to all the patrons who entered the door of the church, and pray for those who tempted by sin enough to go into Thomas' insane annual drinking contest. He could only imagine what brew he'd be making everyone choke down this year. Regardless, he wanted his brothers to readily available for anyone looking to pray, or possibly confess their sins and want to be blessed.

Just outside the city, in the designated area for travelers, a large number of people began to put up their tents. The tent town was once again coming into sight. The people of the village wondered how large it would be this year, and if there'd be enough space for them all. Even more important, what kind of wonderful items did they bring with them this year for them to buy?

In two days, everyone thing would be ready, and the festival could begin.

[spoiler]The festival starts during the evening of Oathday when everyone gathers together in the center square, and simultaneously prays and thanks the gods, their brethren, and their ancestors for letting live in a place as wonderful as Ardis.

You may all start in the afternoon of Fireday. Nothing really happens on Oathday other than prayers, and signing up for the different contest. Put in the OOC what contests you want to do.

Choose from Archery, Drinking Contest, Dragon's Gold, Conjuration Combat (Pokemon battles), or the Dueling Contest. Or a combination, assuming you can make it to others. At the same time, you could just walk around and check out the new, temporary marketplace set up for all the merchants, or maybe you can set yourself up at the performance stage and surrounding area and entertain people with others who'll be there.

Remember that if you want work/money, you have to either perform, or talk to the different people who are visiting (Gather Information). Thomas can seek out info for you as well, for a price.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 03:10:57 AM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: IC - Become a Man Before Thinking About Being a Hero
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 02:55:40 AM »
Alyrie wanders through the festivities on her way to the area that Bandor told her musicians would be welcomed to ply their trade, wide-eyed at the changes to the town that she has come to call home.  With her beautiful lute strapped across her back and her newly purchased green and gold entertainer's outfit she strode through the tents and carts that lined the somewhat newly created streets.  Then she spotted it, the performer's stand, and with a smile wandered up to find a spot to set herself up for performing.

When her turn approached Alyrie check the tuning on her lute with a few quick strums, and then began to play, warming up with a sweet song that her father had taught her:

[spoiler]"The winds whispering voice
settled o'er that land
the hush of twilight taken breath
as sun last touch decays

The hero gallant in his step
falters not against the night
pressing on towards questing end
he raises high his blade

The touch of taint arrests the edge
and pushes it aside
snaking in with vicious bite
to sunder shield and plate

The hero lies in pool of blood
and cries out defiance brave
the goddess Sarae sends her light
the blade glows bright with power

The knight light with holy light
defies again the shadow
and with his last heroic breath
lays low the beast of shade and fire."

[spoiler]Perform Checks Lute: 1d20+15=19, Sing: 1d20+12=31[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »
@ vilenatas

[spoiler]You earn 25 silver for playing today, but that's after doing it in intervals over five to six hours. You're basically putting on a solo concert with breaks in between. Unfortunately, Ardis isn't a profitable city, but a small farming village with lots of tourists coming to see the festival, and join in the games, and a majority of the money comes from them.

You definitely get a sense that the people are truly enjoying what you're doing. Much more than what others seem to be pulling off, but there is one man, possibly an illusionist, who's striking the crowd's chords, so to speak. You do happen to notice that a few gold were tossed his way.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 05:33:07 PM by kevin_video »

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:00:13 PM »
Having put on a clean set of clothes, Ralinor headed toward the outskirts of the town where most of the festivities were to be held. The Ardistrice Festival had always been a very enjoyable event for him, an opportunity to swap stories and a chance to show off his arcane talents to people far and wide. This year however, his plans went a bit beyond having fun. With travelers from across the land coming to Ardis, he could surely find somebody in need for the services of a mage, and willing to pay good cash for it.

[spoiler]

First of all, I'm looking to sign up for the Summoning fights and Dragon's gold (assuming a sign up is required).

Then I'm wandering around, chatting to people, see if I can get word of anything that could make me some cash.
Diplomacy for Gather Information: 1d20+6=19

Btw, is any magic allowed during Dragon's Gold? I'm thinking small stuff like Mage Hand.

[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:40:47 PM »
@ LordBlades

[spoiler]It's still early, so you don't really hear of any work quite yet. However, you do hear the unfortunate news that Father Bernadette, a great priest of Sarenrae from up North, had perished in a fire this past winter. They say that all that was left was his charred skeleton. There was unfortunately no remains left of his late wife, who they suspect also perished in the fire. After the mourning, they're hoping to start building a new church. It'll probably take about two years time to complete.

As a commemoration to his will, a keg of wine that was part of the final barrel he had blessed, will be used as the "Last Call" part of the drinking contest. There will also be a moment of silence, and a toast before.[/spoiler]

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 02:32:41 AM »
@ vilenatas

[spoiler]You earn 25 silver for playing today, but that's after doing it in intervals over five to six hours. You're basically putting on a solo concert with breaks in between. Unfortunately, Ardis isn't a profitable city, but a small farming village with lots of tourists coming to see the festival, and join in the games, and a majority of the money comes from them.

You definitely get a sense that the people are truly enjoying what you're doing. Much more than what others seem to be pulling off, but there is one man, possibly an illusionist, who's striking the crowd's chords, so to speak. You do happen to notice that a few gold were tossed his way.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]After noticing that someone else seems to be getting a little more applause, I spend a little of my downtime watching one of his performances to identify the man's skill and person so that I might introduce myself later should the opportunity arise.

The rest of my downtime I spend in quiet meditation using some of the skills that Bandor has been teaching me to keep myself under control.  I don't want to have another outbreak of the curse ruin my new home.[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 03:19:39 AM »
@ vilenatas
[spoiler]He is most definitely an illusionist. An experienced one at that too. As you watch him, you can see why so many people were taken him by him. His stage presence is amazing. None like you, or possibly others, have seen before. He calls himself "The Amazing Rando!" He seems like a fairly personable human, and if his sleight of hand were ever used for dastardly deeds, no one would have a chance. He doesn't seem the type though. Whenever a kid comes by, or a very lovely lady, he seems to up his game a bit to be all the more impressive.

As you meditate, you find yourself starting to get a little drowsy. Almost like you're being pulled into a slumber. Awakening, you immediately start speaking in your cursed tongue for only a few seconds before you make yourself stop. You spoke the language, but you're not sure what you said. You think it translates back into common as "Shek-Pvar". Whatever that means.[/spoiler]

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 01:09:54 PM »
@ vilenatas
[spoiler]He is most definitely an illusionist. An experienced one at that too. As you watch him, you can see why so many people were taken him by him. His stage presence is amazing. None like you, or possibly others, have seen before. He calls himself "The Amazing Rando!" He seems like a fairly personable human, and if his sleight of hand were ever used for dastardly deeds, no one would have a chance. He doesn't seem the type though. Whenever a kid comes by, or a very lovely lady, he seems to up his game a bit to be all the more impressive.

As you meditate, you find yourself starting to get a little drowsy. Almost like you're being pulled into a slumber. Awakening, you immediately start speaking in your cursed tongue for only a few seconds before you make yourself stop. You spoke the language, but you're not sure what you said. You think it translates back into common as "Shek-Pvar". Whatever that means.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]After the incident during my meditation, I decide that as soon as my day is completed in the performance I will quickly make my way back to Bandor's and wait for him to return to discuss what happened, particularly "Shek-Pvar" the only thing I seem to remember from my waking dream.  I will not be attending the bonfire as that is just too much flaming excitement for my current level of control.[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 01:14:08 PM »
@ vilenatas
[spoiler]You know that Bandor will likely be attending the bonfire tonight so an early meeting would be best. If, when you arrive at the manor house he isn't there, it'd be a simple manner of having one of the serfs go out and fetch him.[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »
A short, stubby-legged man meanders through the gathering crowds. At present, he appears to be wearing a traveler's garb, along with a wide-brimmed hat that conceals his head from the view of most. He seems to be perusing the market tents and stalls as they are setting up for the day, perhaps hoping to be one of the first to catch an unexpected treasure from far away.

Wigren took extra care not to be recognized while in the marketplace, for he knew that there was a chance someone from his House might be attending the festival as a merchant. His family grew wealthy through their mercantile pursuits, and they still maintained a significant business despite the fact that, these days, their pursuits were more worldly, concerning Noble affairs rather than mercantile.

He decided to leave the market for now and wander over toward the tavern. It would be far more interesting to watch the drinking contest than to constantly watch over his shoulder, and perhaps he could leverage some of his curative wares on the drunkards who weren't so lucky as to possess great enough fortitude to resist the effects of their chosen vice.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »
While Wigren wanders through the marketplace, he sees many different things being put up for sale. There's art, various dyed cloths (this is very rare in these parts), strangely designed armor that you wouldn't think a sane person would wear, exotic fruits and vegetables, various herbs and spices, various jeweled beads, and something that he absolutely couldn't believe. Someone, not from here, actually had the mindset to sell salted fish in a port town.

Entering the tavern part of the inn, you see a taller than average human talking to Thomas, the innkeeper. The man is gesturing towards a keg that's been put on the counter that everyone will be sitting at for the drinking contest. It's rare to see, but Thomas actually looks to be showing a sign of his human heritage with a remorseful expression, and nods his head at the stranger, while patting him on the shoulder.

Aye, it shall be done. I will make sure that the late priest is toasted to before our final drink tonight. It will be the least we can do in honour of this blessed wine he gave us.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »
Drail will wander the town soaking in the sights and sounds for much of the morning. He will casually wave and say hi to those town members who have been more accepting of him. He is wearing a simple explorer's outfit and proudly displays his holy symbol of Sarenrae.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 02:30:31 PM »
Climbing upon a stool by the bar counter, Wigren turns to Thomas and says, "Ah, so is this the 'mystery brew' that the contestants shall be drinking from? I daresay that even the land's most seasoned alcoholics will have a run for their money should they gulp down too much of this." A playful smirk finds its way onto Wigren's face, betraying a curiosity to discover who the stranger seems to be.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 03:00:47 PM »
@ archangel.arcanis

[spoiler]As Drail wanders about the town, a couple of the maidens from the manor house can be seen walking through the market, but it is obvious that they are not there to shop, and are looking for something specific. See you, then run up to you and ask if you've seen Lern or Kial at all. They're the two serf boys of Seld who were supposed to help with additional chores, but seemed to have disappeared since the festival started. Given the looks on the women's faces you're kind of glad you're neither boy right now. You haven't seen them today though.[/spoiler]

The half-orc half growls at the gnome, but returns to his solemn face.

"Aye, it be part of the Final Drink." Pointing at two barrels of significant size behind the counter, he continues. "Those are for the main competition. If they're worthy of it, those who make it to the Final Drink shall get to sample the late Father Bernadette's, final blessed wine."

The tall man bows and thanks Thomas for his patronage, and for accommodating his request to the late father, before putting on his hat and leaving the establishment.

Thomas sighs for a moment before continuing setting everything up. "So you here for any particular reason, or just killing time until everyone falls flat on their face again this year?"

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »
In his somewhat slow deep voice, I haven't seen the boys today. I'll keep an eye out for them, though.  Ladies. Drail will bow courteously to them.
[spoiler]Drail will keep an eye out for the boys and if he sees them will tell them they should return to their chores before they are found by the ladies. If they don't return then he will tell the ladies where they are hiding. If no sees them by the end of the day or early the next Drail will get concerned and start looking for them.[/spoiler]
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »
@ archangel.arcanis
[spoiler]The women curtsy to your bow, and continue on with their search.[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »
Among Alyries listeners is a tall and dashingly handsome man with a short bow unstrung in a quiver on his back. He had entered the town from the sea earlier today, and already signed up for the duelling contest, the archery contest and dragons gold.

He smiled at woman as he heard her sing, remembering some distant memory, before he walked onward.

He found an old crate to stand on, and got on it, and started to tell a story.
I remember in my travels, All his stories started that way, it drew the crowds attention. I once met a man, who lived by the sea, but near this sea was also a mermaid... He knew this story and just kept telling and telling until a crowd gathered to listen, as he weaved his stories he kept and eye for everybody coming by to listen. They always loved to hear of the high seas, he knew that.

Perform (oratory): 1d20+13=18
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 10:18:53 AM by Mixster »
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 04:43:33 PM »
You find that there are a few people generally looking in your direction, half listening, but there are definitely a few kids wanting to hear your stories.

[spoiler]You get up to five silver tossed your way to keep talking. More so by a couple of parents who seem to have left their child sitting and listening to you while they're off to the market.[/spoiler]

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »
He awoke early, as he often did. Stepping outside he'd kneel in his usual spot, letting the rising sun bathe him in light as he prayed to Iomedae. After an hour, he'd stand to his feet, and start his morning chores. Once his chores had been completed he would wash up and return to the farm house for some breakfast. With a full belly, his armor would be donned, shield being strapped to his left arm while his longsword took it's usual place steathed near his left hip, the hilt of a dagger could be seen clearly from his right boot.

He'd report to the guardhouse before starting his shift. A tall muscler young man in gleaming chainmail starting down the street, eyes and ears kept vigilant as they took in all the sights and sounds as the festival got under way. While he was looking forward to Dueling later after his shift, not to mention the Dragon's Gold event, he would keep his mind focused on his patrols.

[spoiler]It is possible to gather information while he's patroling? Basically he'd be just keeping his ears open for any news of people in need of adventurers.

If so. Diplomacy, Gather Info. (1d20+9=11)[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:19:10 PM by ShadowViper »
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 05:20:56 PM »
@ LordBlades

[spoiler]It's still early, so you don't really hear of any work quite yet. However, you do hear the unfortunate news that Father Bernadette, a great priest of Sarenrae from up North, perished in a fire this past winter. They say that all that was left was his charred skeleton. There was unfortunately no remains left of his late wife, who they suspect also perished in the fire. After the mourning, they're hoping to start building a new church to replace the one that was burned down. It'll probably take about two years time to complete.

As a commemoration to his will, a keg of wine that was part of the final barrel he had blessed, will be used as the "Last Call" part of the drinking contest. There will also be a moment of silence, and a toast before.[/spoiler]