Author Topic: The OOC - Discussion Thread  (Read 17458 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: The OOC - Discussion Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2011, 05:28:38 PM »
How do you want to handle the drinking contest as well as the Dragon's gold (just roll 2-5 fort saves vs poison & a perception check)? Drail will need someone or something catching his attention for him to initiate contact otherwise he will likely wait until someone else initiates contact with him to start actually speaking.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2011, 05:34:36 PM »
I was going to post the rules for each one as the contest came up (ie they'd explain it to you before you entered).

EDIT: Basically, for the drinking contest, you'll be making Fort saves, and trying not to pass out or vomit.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2011, 05:39:22 PM »
ok well i guess i'm waiting around for that to come up before posting IC then.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 05:40:30 PM »
I'm just waiting for the okay that everyone's ready. A few people had "signed up" for each of the contests, but I don't want to start them if their character's not ready to join in because they're still in the middle of creation.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 05:45:24 PM »
I'm just waiting for the okay that everyone's ready. A few people had "signed up" for each of the contests, but I don't want to start them if their character's not ready to join in because they're still in the middle of creation.
Not a prob boss. I'll be ready to drink some people under the table, assuming 1's don't kick my ass, and try to find some nice goodies in the haystack.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 05:48:33 PM »
Not a prob boss. I'll be ready to drink some people under the table, assuming 1's don't kick my ass, and try to find some nice goodies in the haystack.
Yeah. A natural 1 is going to be an issue. It means you gag, vomit, or pass out. Failing a Fort save normally won't cause you to immediately pass out, it'll just lower your Dex and Cha by 1d2. If both reach 0, you start taking Con damage from alcohol poisoning. Just be glad you're not a halfling. They have to make a Con check+4 just to keep up with everyone else.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2011, 06:38:41 PM »
I think I'm good to go. Just have to update skills a bit(drawbacks). Heh had it done yesterday but when I clicked save, myth weavers informed me it was down.  :banghead

And of course still need adventuring gear and such. But that can likely wait until we actually find an adventure to go on?

Think Alanon will take part in the duel after his shift, after all he wouldn't want to be banged up for his shift and risk something bad happening to the citizens or town because of it.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 07:21:28 PM »
We'll take the standard adventurer's kit from the PHBII. It's referenced on a regular basis enough that it's likely a default amount of gear. I think the 4e stuff is the same as well.

Sounds like a plan.

Here's the times (roughly) for everything on Fireday:
Two hours after daybreak is when the marketplace will officially be open (gives everyone time to do their chores around the farm; around 08:00)
Mid-morning break is the archery (10:30)
Midday is the drinking contest (noon)
Mid-afternoon is the dueling contest (14:30)
Late mid-afternoon is the arm-wrestling contest (15:00) - tent town
Evening is the Dragon's Gold (17:00)
Late evening is the Everyman's Fireball (18:30)
Bonfire is at sunset (around 19:00)

Here's the times (roughly) for everything on Starday:
Three hours after daybreak is when the marketplace will officially be open (gives everyone time to do their chores around the farm; around 09:00)
Midday is the Conjuration Combat (noon)
Mid-afternoon is the long throw contest (14:30) - tent town
Early evening is Crazy Ernie's Bear Wrasslin' (16:00)
Evening is the Tree Game variant archery contest (17:00)
Late evening is the Drinksmash (18:30)

Remember that the card and dice games are all day long. There is no set time. You just have to find players willing to let you sit in, and bring lots of money to lose.

All rules will be explained before the contest happens.

At current, it is about an hour before mid-morning break. Just let me know what you want to do. If you're performing on either of the days, that pretty much takes up a majority of it. At least 5-6 hours, on and off. You are, however, getting paid for your troubles so it balances out.

First of all, I'm looking to sign up for the Summoning fights and Dragon's gold (assuming a sign up is required).

Then I'm wandering around, chatting to people, see if I can get word of anything that could make me some cash.
Diplomacy for Gather Information: 1d20+6=19

Btw, is any magic allowed during Dragon's Gold? I'm thinking small stuff like Mage Hand.
There's no actual sign-up for it, no. It's a random ballot box you drop your name into. If you aren't there when they call your name, you lose by default. Mostly because you might be drunk at the inn, and they don't want to wait all day for someone who's tardy.

I'll post you learn on the IC.

No real magic is allowed, no. However, you can "cast a spell" that will mimic sanctuary for one round. If you're hit by the "breath weapon" during it, you don't take damage. You only get one though. The kids of course get three. I'll be sure to make note of it when the rules are explained by the villager.

Somehow I feel like I missed saying something, but you guys are pretty much on the ball anyways. You'll let me know if I forgot something important. ;)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 09:04:42 PM »
Figured out what I forgot. To the rules I added what weapons you're allowed to have. Note that spiked gauntlets, armor, or shield is on there. That was on purpose. Armor is fine. So long as you can afford it, and it can be made legally (legal armor has the province's coat-of-arms branded on it), you can buy it.

Also added to the rules is this:
Add Knowledge (gaming & gambling) to your skills. It's no one's specific class skill. Not even a rogue's. This skill is only handy for those who wish to gamble.

It's in the Fairs & Tournaments book, and it's an optional rule only. You guys can add it and not put any ranks into it if you'd like. Not a big deal. Figured I'd go with it and give you guys another option.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:26:05 PM by kevin_video »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2011, 11:32:14 PM »
Question: What's the proper term for someone who is a member of the town guard, is it Guard, or Deputy?

Also, do we have to start at the bottom of the guard totem pole?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2011, 11:48:09 PM »
Question: What's the proper term for someone who is a member of the town guard, is it Guard, or Deputy?

Also, do we have to start at the bottom of the guard totem pole?
It depends on what section you want to be part of. There's constables and there's watchmen. Watchmen do most of the guard duty around edge of the village to make sure nothing gets in that's not supposed to. Constables deal with anything within the village itself. Both are able to switch positions from time to time, and are under obligation to assist the other group when all hell breaks loose. There are also guards, but these specifically watch the manor house. Almost like a personal guard for the baliff and mayor. At current there is no deputy, but that doesn't mean there can't eventually be one.

There isn't a "bottom of the totem pole". Everyone's essentially equal, but it is possible to gain a reputable ascension amongst the ranks if you become better than everyone else at something. You might even open up a specialized position that could be specific just to you. Remember that pretty much everyone else in the guard are warrior 1. They're men who who used to farm with their fathers, but feel like they should be doing more. All they've got is the most basic of training. However, if someone, like a deputy, were to train them over the course of the winter months, then they could become stronger, making the village better defended.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2011, 12:45:09 AM »
Sheet is up, see notes in post about things still to come. Work causing limited free time only seems to occur when attempting to make a new character...
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2011, 12:45:59 AM »
That usually happens.

Just let to everyone know, the flood's gotten better so they're expecting everyone back to work on Tuesday, or earlier.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2011, 02:11:14 AM »
Yeah. A natural 1 is going to be an issue. It means you gag, vomit, or pass out. Failing a Fort save normally won't cause you to immediately pass out, it'll just lower your Dex and Cha by 1d2. If both reach 0, you start taking Con damage from alcohol poisoning. Just be glad you're not a halfling. They have to make a Con check+4 just to keep up with everyone else.

Does that go for Gnomes, too? They're described as "physically weak but surprisingly hardy." But since they're similarly small creatures, I figured it's best to be safe and ask.

Also, I don't suppose using a smoke pellet to cloud the "dragon"'s vision during Dragon's Gold would be considered fair play? :P
(Kidding!)

As for my character, I'm just finishing up a couple last-minute things with gear and then I'm pretty much all set.

Just let to everyone know, the flood's gotten better so they're expecting everyone back to work on Tuesday, or earlier.

That's great news! I'm glad things are more manageable there.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2011, 02:17:46 AM »
It will affect gnomes as well. The amount of alcohol you can consume is based on your CON+poison resist+endurance, if you're large sized. Large are Con(x2)+ and small are Con(x1/2)+.

It's basically a drinking race. No more than 11 mugs/large glasses of whatever random barrel is chosen by the barkeep (it's whatever's donated) in one minute. A large creature can down two a round, a medium can do one, and a small size creature can do half. Whatever you're challenging, you have to keep up. Winner goes to the next round.

lol Yeah... I'm not going to look at the pellet question. :p

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2011, 03:00:17 AM »
Hmm, looks like it's not worth it for Wigren to enter, even if he quaffs both his mutagen and a Soothe Syrup (and an antitoxin?) before. Beside, all those little vials would mean less room for alcohol anyway. :D

No, I think I'll find something else for Wigren to do. :)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2011, 03:01:59 AM »
lol That's fine. Speaking of antitoxins, I need to PM you.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »
No one's said anything, probably because everyone's first level, but in the rules you may have noticed that I never said you couldn't have Leadership for your characters. Now, I don't think with this many people that's going to be necessary, and I don't know that we'll get that high, but the main reason I bring this up is should we get that high, and you want to take it, I won't stop anyone. I will probably frown on it if everyone takes it, but I won't stop you if you feel the group's seriously lacking somewhere.

Now, the reason that I so randomly bring this up is I just found a Pathfinder feat that made me facepalm. It's called Extra Cohort. Take a wild guess what its benefit is. However, your Leadership score counts as 2 less for this one, and for how many followers you get. But that's okay. Just take Great Leader, and pump it up by 3 again.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2011, 02:05:40 PM »
Drail likely isn't a very good choice for a leader.  :lol

Leadership really should be a free ability handed out by the GM rather than an actual feat.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2011, 02:07:36 PM »
Drail likely isn't a very good choice for a leader.  :lol

Leadership really should be a free ability handed out by the GM rather than an actual feat.
Agreed. I mean, if a villain can have an unlimited number of minions based on their evilness, then surely a PC can rally a village against such a terror. I guess it's meant more for how many people in your army are willing to lay down their lives for you rather than turn tail and run.