Author Topic: The OOC - Discussion Thread  (Read 17447 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
The OOC - Discussion Thread
« on: May 14, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
I think everyone knows what this section's all about. Anything out of character, you can talk about here.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: The OOC - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:45:18 PM »
Just to make sure, the Armor variant we are using is the 1/2 AC value is converted to DR instead one, yes?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:48:10 PM »
Just to make sure, the Armor variant we are using is the 1/2 AC value is converted to DR instead one, yes?
I believe so. It's in the rules linked to the SRD table.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:41:30 PM »
I'll try and get my sheet up as soon as I can. Trying to catch up on reading all the rules and will be out of town until tomorrow afternoon so it may be Wednesday by the time I actually get it posted.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »
I'll try and get my sheet up as soon as I can. Trying to catch up on reading all the rules and will be out of town until tomorrow afternoon so it may be Wednesday by the time I actually get it posted.
That's alright. We weren't really going to be playing until the end of the month. It's just I've got a lot of free time on my hands now, so things are coming about quicker.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 05:35:40 AM »
I'll probably compete in archery, duelling, and anything involving lying or cheating. Also, I'll probably be seen on the corners during most of the festival telling swashbuckling stories about the high seas.
That is, when I ain't drinking all my gold away.

Haven't decided on a name yet though.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 06:09:42 AM »
What is this "Dragon's Gold" event?

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 08:26:56 AM »
I'll probably compete in the 'Pokemon fight' and maybe Dragon's gold, depending what it is. All of the others are pretty well outside my area of expertise.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 02:45:27 PM »
Drail will likely take part in the drinking contest, if they let him, as it seem what he would be best at.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 04:20:42 PM »
I'll probably won't get involved in any of the events, but will likely be found performing at the performer's stage.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »
Wow. Was starting to think the site wasn't coming back. Let's try this again.

@ Mixster - Nothing that openly involves lying or cheating that I can think of at the moment, but there's likely a few places that'll have a bit of gambling you could participate in. There's also usually bets placed on some of the contests as to who's going to win.

If you talk of your swashbuckling stories you'll see a LOT of kids surrounding you with innocent eyes, enthralled by them. You'll get a few adults too.

@ VennDygrem and LordBlades --  A Dragon's Gold used to be a kid's game, and technically still is, but the adults changed it up some so that it would feel like an actual competition. The adult version goes like this: Six of the strongest men from the fields dress up as a dragon (think Chinese dragon costume), and surrounding a pile of hay. Inside the hay are various treasures. A raffle is drawn, and the first four people must go inside "the dragon's cave" and try and grab whatever they can inside the bales of hay. The stuff that's near the top of the hay aren't all that valuable (usually tokens for free eats at the inn, embroidered cloth, flower wreath, a shell bracelet, possibly a bag of copper, etc). The stuff that's farther in the hay is usually a little more valuable (expensive clothing, imported candy, bag of silver, dagger of some kind of metal, etc). There's always the chance that you could win gifts that you could give to the kids (like a father showing his son he beat a dragon and brought him back a toy sword as his trophy). This is all done with a Search check of 10-14 or 15+.
You are not to attack the dragon, but get passed it. It, however, can attack you (for 1 to 1d3 subdual or a ribbon breath weapon). If you get hit, you're disqualified. On the other hand, if you find a weapon in the hay, you can strike the dragon. If it's real, they'd prefer you to use subdual (-4 attack) with it, but it does have a hardness of 4 so it can take a bit of damage.

You can not be attacked if you are more than 5 ft from the horde, and if you get a treasure before you're attacked, you are also immune to attacks. After everyone's had a turn, that wants one, "knights" come in to "slay" the dragon.

The kids version is basically the same except it's treats, toys, paints, fake jewelry, etc (stuff for kids), and you don't actually physically attack them, unless they're getting greedy for treasures (1 subdual damage). Usually you'd just chase them off. Normally you'd see the dragon using just the breath weapon.

@ LordBlades -- There are a few people who really don't like the Conjuration battle. They think it's not a nice thing to do to summoned creatures (yes there's a PETA for summoned creatures in this world). Ardis knows this, and has it changed so that you don't fight until they disappear. If you "destroy" your enemy when they're already down, you're disqualified. You're supposed to let the caster dismiss their summoned creature. You either fight until you are defeated, or until your summon disappears (losing by default), or give up. You are allowed to summon a max of three creatures during the competition.

Wards are placed around a circle just in case the summon decides it wants to attack the audience as well. However, you can extend your hand out into the circle so you can touch your summon and give them a magical item or enhancement spell of some kind.

On the same initiative, both summoners cast their summon, but the spellcaster with the highest DEX gets to have their monster attack first.

@ archangel.arcanis -- They have no problem with him joining the drinking contest so long as he can pay the entry fee. It's a surprise for everyone as to what you'll be drinking, even the bartender. It's whatever gets donated. The cost is 6 gold. If you win, you get half the gold you paid times how many drinks you had. So, if everyone's a light weight, you could technically just get back your money with just two drinks.

@ vilenatas -- No problem with that. Just remember to make a Perform check to see how much money gets thrown at you.

@ Everyone -- Even though it's not an actual Ardis competition, you'll see a few people setting up an Arm-Wrestling competition in tent town. It's strictly an ego thing that started up last year. It might become a standard event next year if there's enough call for it. There's also a few people who'll likely have cards and dice out again this year, for anyone looking to do a little gambling.

I'll be re-posting the rules for A Dragon's Gold in the IC if anyone participates, as well as the rules for the drinking contest, and any of the other contests that you guys join.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 06:54:18 PM »
I'll have to gold, Drail isn't actually interested in the drinking but wants to participate in the town's events.

I think he will join the Dragon's gold too, that actually seems pretty interesting. Also I'm assuiming you meant a perception check as search isn't on the list for PF.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 06:56:46 PM »
Also I'm assuiming you meant a perception check as search isn't on the list for PF.
Yes I did. This is going to take me a bit to get used to as well. Gotta un-D&D myself.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »
Also I'm assuiming you meant a perception check as search isn't on the list for PF.
Yes I did. This is going to take me a bit to get used to as well. Gotta un-D&D myself.
Sweet Drail has a good perception so that could be fun.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »
What all does the dueling contest entail, and would a guard beable to take part in it? Or would all guards pretty much be on duty "24/7" due to the larger number of people?

Pretty much what weapons are allowed in the duel(Longsword?)
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 07:15:05 PM »
Sweet Drail has a good perception so that could be fun.
I'm hoping so. It's nothing I've ran before so it'll new to both of us. But remember, just one item, and then you're done. Otherwise the dragon "eats" you for being greedy, and you lose all your treasure.

What all does the dueling contest entail, and would a guard beable to take part in it? Or would all guards pretty much be on duty "24/7" due to the larger number of people?

Pretty much what weapons are allowed in the duel(Longsword?)
A guard may partake in it, yes. I'll have it so if you wanted to participate that your shift would either just be ending, or you'd be shift later (and possibly in pain).

No real weapons would be involved. Nothing lethal anyways. You'd basically have wooden versions of what you're used to using. Like a wooden longsword, a wooden rapier, unarmed attacks (subdual only), a quarterstaff, or a pole with a clothed, rounded blunt end. It's all one-on-one, but there's four sets that happen at once. You fight until you're either at 0 HP, can't fight back, or you give up. Finally, all contestants are to wear no better than padded armor, which would be supplied by the manor, or yourself.

BTW, the drinking contest starts before the duelling contest does, and if you drink enough, you get a temporary +1 hp per HD. So chances are you'll see some people swinging wildly, but won't go down easily.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 08:25:23 PM »
Then I think Alanon will be entering into the dueling contest and possilby the Dragon's Gold.

His weapon of choice being the wooden longsword. And he'll use the supplied padded armor.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 08:46:26 PM »
Sounds good.

The contests are divided up like this:
Fireday - Archery, drinking, dueling, arm-wrestling (tent town), and at night, just before the bonfire is lit, is The Everyman's Fireball (tavern) and A Dragon's Gold.
Starday - Conjuration Combat, long throw (tent town), Drinksmash, Crazy Ernie's Bear Wrasslin' for Crazy Folk (tent town), and The Tree Game (variant archery contest).

Card and dice games will be played all day in tent town.

For anyone wondering about Everyman's Fireball, you basically have to breath fire by spitting out alcohol at a candle and try to light up an origami target. It's limited to how much donated alcohol is still left from the previous contest.

Drinksmash is literally what it sounds like. You drink, then you smash. It was originally an orc game.

Crazy Ernie is an expert/druid grappler who's not really all there upstairs, and has four different bears for you to wrestle, plus himself. His cub, Sonny, is reserved for kids to wrestle with. Boozer is for elves and teenagers, Grinder is for adults, and Butch is for the bravely stupid and egotistical. You earn prizes based on how Ernie thinks you do. If you want to challenge his call, he'll wrestle you for it. As well, if you can turn into a bear, or have a bear, he'll wrestle it, and actually pay you for the opportunity.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 02:17:23 AM »
Heh, if any of the booze is stuff I concocted for the tavern, I'm sure people are in for a real treat. If it doesn't put hair on your chest, it'll at least put fire in your belly. :)

I almost wish I could rig the drinking contest using my mutagen. It would be too easy for me to win, since everyone else drinking it would get sickened.  :lmao

Seriously though, I'll probably go for the drinking contest and the Dragon's Gold. Too bad I don't get the +2 to resist poisons until next level.  :smirk

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 02:20:46 AM »
lol Well you would have gotten the +2 bonus against poison, yes.

And no, you didn't make any of the liquor. It's almost all donated from different breweries outside of the city.