Author Topic: Fun Finds 2: (aka Tidbits Repository)  (Read 77673 times)

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
Re: Fun Finds 2: (aka Tidbits Repository)
« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2011, 06:24:40 PM »
Found a funny little buffing trick with the Lens of Ray Widening:
This magic lens functions as a lens of ray chaining, except that it instead widens any ray shot through it into a cone-shaped effect. The user no longer rolls to hit a target with the ray. Instead, any creatures caught in the cone-shaped area must make a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid the effect of the ray entirely. Each target in the area that fails to save is affected as if struck fully by the ray. This widening magic dilutes the original strength of the ray; creatures affected by the cone gain a +2 bonus on any saving throws made to resist or negate the actual effect of the ray. When widened, rays that normally affect objects (such as a disintegrate ray) now affect only creatures, unless the ray deals some form of energy damage, in which case objects automatically make their saving throw against the damage caused by the attack.
Strong universal; CL 15th; Craft Wondrous Item; Price 32,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.
Spellwarp sniper is also notable for turning a lot of targeted spells into ray, if you don't want to bother with Reach Spell.
The problem with just this item is you need to shoot the ray through the lens while wearing it (well, the actual RAW requires an eye stalk, but the Devs never expected someone to find a way to use it without being a Beholder). How to get around this? Ocular Spell.

And how many Buff spells are rays? Any that are affected by the Reach Spell feat.

And the area? However long the ray was, in cone shape.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2011, 10:01:20 PM »
Heh, I remember those magical monocles. There are also the sphere mirrors, from the same book. They allow the user to bounce rays off of them, with no particular limitation on how many times you can do this.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #162 on: June 04, 2011, 06:28:54 AM »
Actually, a non-Beholder spellcaster can use the lenses anyway by holding them in one hand and using them as a focus component. It's in the Lens of Ray Chaining's description and grandfathered into the others. No Ocular Spell needed.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »
I thought I remembered seeing that. In fact, I was mentally building a warlock that used them on his EB. Thanks for reminding me.

However, the mirrors do require you to be a beholder...
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2011, 09:01:38 PM »
I thought I remembered seeing that. In fact, I was mentally building a warlock that used them on his EB. Thanks for reminding me.

Nothing a little UMD cannot over come.  My favorite is UMD with Horseshoes of the Flame from savage species made slotless.  Unlisted +8 Int, +6 Cha, +2 Dex, and flight is not bad for 21 hours a day if you dont mind looking like a nightmare and emulating horse as a race.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2011, 09:14:34 PM »

Nothing a little UMD cannot over come.  My favorite is UMD with Horseshoes of the Flame from savage species made slotless.  Unlisted +8 Int, +6 Cha, +2 Dex, and flight is not bad for 21 hours a day if you dont mind looking like a nightmare and emulating horse as a race.
Biggest problem with using them is nailing them into all four of your feet every time you want to use them.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #166 on: June 04, 2011, 09:34:44 PM »

Biggest problem with using them is nailing them into all four of your feet every time you want to use them.

Ah, if I paid double to make them slotless, I might choose a version that I don't nail to me feet like maybe an ioun stone(IE, they are no longer a foot slot or nailed in).  If you don't like that, go with the pay 50% more for a non-standard slot and make them a hair ribbon that takes a head slot.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #167 on: June 04, 2011, 10:35:37 PM »
Wouldn't you logically need to nail them into your head then?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2011, 10:43:50 PM »
Wouldn't you logically need to nail them into your head then?
Meh. He wasn't using his Int score anyway.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

the_shadowmind

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2011, 12:06:24 AM »
A warforged probably wouldn't mind nailing them to his/her feet.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »
Or you could just be a freaking centaur.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »
Or you could just be a freaking centaur.
Which brings up the question.  To activate them, does he shout "I'm a horse" or "Flame on"?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Petruchio

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #172 on: June 06, 2011, 01:56:42 AM »

At a certain point, every wizard looks at himself in a mirror and says "Do I really want to settle for Tier 1?" And that is the moment he decides if he will be content as the most powerful character in the party, or if they will strive beyond and become a lich, a demigod, or an elf with horseshoes nailed to his feet.

My tidbit is similar. I used multiple castings per day and eventually a custom magic item for Power Drain in BoVD. With Extend spell, my wizard was able to get a +22 enhancement bonus on his INT, about four hours at a time. Cost alot, with daily restorations to cure the wisdom drain and all.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »
Hmm, really nice find.

For the most part, it wouldn't matter within magic item rules. You have X slots and no matter how many of Y items you where, you're limited to X. For example, you have ten fingers & ten toes but can only gain the benefit of two rings. But it is very important to know that you can wear multiple items.

So with that in mind. Why exactly do you need four feet? Just nail all the shoes to one foot and limp around belittling patients & coworkers whom only tolerate you for your outstanding intellect.

Edit: Small thought. You don't make your UMD check until you're wearing them. Hope you don't fail and have to redon them.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:41:19 PM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2011, 01:51:21 PM »
Hmm, really nice find.

For the most part, it wouldn't matter within magic item rules. You have X slots and no matter how many of Y items you where, you're limited to X. For example, you have ten fingers & ten toes but can only gain the benefit of two rings. But it is very important to know that you can wear multiple items.

So with that in mind. Why exactly do you need four feet? Just nail all the shoes to one foot and limp around belittling patients & coworkers whom only tolerate you for your outstanding intellect.

Edit: Small thought. You don't make your UMD check until you're wearing them. Hope you don't fail and have to redon them.
Correction: You make the UMD check when you go to activate them.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2011, 02:46:09 PM »
Nothing in the horseshoes says they have to be nailed to your feet. As foot slot items they just need to take that slot so pin two around your ankles as an anklet and then make your UMD check to emulate the race when activating it. That's what UMD is for, tricking items into thinking you're using them properly.

The more troublesome part is when it polymorphs you into a nightmare your other gear is going to meld and you'll lose your hands for performing somatic components. Interestingly enough there's an item on the same page to give your hands back, Gloves of Man.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »
Why not just jam them into your shoes? A reasonably thick boot should be able to fit a pair on the inside and then nail some on the bottom(clipped to the top pair so the bottom can't fall off or the nail doesn't rampage through your foot).
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2011, 03:13:43 PM »
Why not just jam them into your shoes? A reasonably thick boot should be able to fit a pair on the inside and then nail some on the bottom(clipped to the top pair so the bottom can't fall off or the nail doesn't rampage through your foot).
Platform Boots have a use in D&D. Goth kids everywhere will rejoice.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2011, 04:36:32 PM »
Observation: They grant a bonus while worn ~ activated upon wearing them.

Edit - Quote tag fail.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:38:22 PM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2011, 04:38:32 PM »
Observation: They grant a bonus while worn ~ activated upon wearing them.
Not quite, 3/day activation listed in the item. Unless you are putting them on and taking them off a horse three per day...
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]