Author Topic: Fun Finds 2: (aka Tidbits Repository)  (Read 77784 times)

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Fun Finds 2: (aka Tidbits Repository)
« on: May 13, 2011, 09:07:58 PM »
A deposit for those little bits of cool things you find, but aren't worth their own thread.

Continued from the previous. Note that the dragon magazine focus has since faded.

Have at it!
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
Re: Fun Finds 2: (aka Tidbits Repository)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 09:16:32 PM »
Maybe this is new, maybe not, but here goes:

So in Monsters of Faerun there is an aquatic humanoid race called the Shalarin (pg. 76).  The PGtF web enhancement / monster update booklet says these guys are +0 LA.  It also gives them racial stat mods of +4 STR & DEX, +0 to everything else.  Wow, not too shabby for a +0 LA race.

But too bad they're aquatic and can't breath on dry land.  Oh wait, why not use the Amphibious template.  -2 DEX for air breathing is a pretty good deal.  So now you have +4 STR & +2 DEX on a +0 LA humanoid.

Throw on Dragonborn and now you've got +4 STR & +2 CON, can breath air or underwater just fine. 

I'll take this guy over a Dragonborn Water Orc any day.  And chances are, if you have a DM that would actually let you use a Dragonborn Water Orc, he'll probably let you use a Dragonborn Shalarin.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:24:45 PM »

So in Monsters of Faerun there is an aquatic humanoid race called the Shalarin (pg. 76).  The PGtF web enhancement / monster update booklet says these guys are +0 LA.  It also gives them racial stat mods of +4 STR & DEX, +0 to everything else.  Wow, not too shabby for a +0 LA race.

But too bad they're aquatic and can't breath on dry land.  Oh wait, why not use the Amphibious template.  -2 DEX for air breathing is a pretty good deal.  So now you have +4 STR & +2 DEX on a +0 LA humanoid.

Throw on Dragonborn and now you've got +4 STR & +2 CON, can breath air or underwater just fine. 

I'll take this guy over a Dragonborn Water Orc any day.  And chances are, if you have a DM that would actually let you use a Dragonborn Water Orc, he'll probably let you use a Dragonborn Shalarin.

Or you can just use Dragonborn, since it removes the whole problem and leaves you +2 Dex up.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 09:28:53 PM »
Dragonborn doesn't make you lose the [Aquatic] subtype though, nor will it grant you air breathing.

Edit:  Actually, I think this might not work.  Amphibious template gives you the amphibious special quality, doesn't it?  So going Dragonborn will make you lose that.  So if you want to be able to breath air, don't go dragonborn.  Still a great +0 LA race though.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:30:50 PM by Ithamar »
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 10:27:15 PM »
For the record.

WATAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!

That is all.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 11:10:39 PM »

That update throws LAs onto all sorts of things.

My favorite is the hairy spider.  Minds are for wusses.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 11:40:32 PM »

That's what Paris Hilton said.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 11:50:55 PM »

They gave the hairy spider an LA?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 04:35:14 AM »

They gave the hairy spider an LA?
LA+0 and mindless.

The only real way to optimize is take levels in druid, and occasionally cast iconic manifestation to get a mind (and incidentally select all your feats).
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 08:21:29 AM »
Plus, Mindsight doesn't see you.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 08:49:47 AM »
The only real way to optimize is take levels in druid, and occasionally cast iconic manifestation to get a mind (and incidentally select all your feats).

Incarnate Construct Dustform Hairy Spider.

Incarnate Construct specifically states that non-ability scores, such as Intelligence, Constitution, etc, are rolled.

The outcome is a 0 LA race of Humanoid (Augmented Vermin).

This all brought to you by the vague description of Incarnate construct, where it states vaguely human-shaped. That's like, really vague. :P

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 02:59:39 PM »
rofl!!!! a race for were-fine swarms!!!!!!!

EDIT: Get the Aberration Blood and Extended Reach feats!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 03:14:30 PM by zook1shoe »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »
Are there any Animal Fine swarms? Because entomanothropes explicitly can't become swarms.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Empirate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »
I only know of the murder of crows from Tome of Magic, which isn't fine, but close enough, and can fly.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 03:58:00 PM »
Are there any Animal Fine swarms? Because entomanothropes explicitly can't become swarms.

... damn

EDIT: what about adding Necropolitan to the Incarnate Dustform Hairy Spider?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:00:26 PM by zook1shoe »

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 04:09:26 PM »
Bone creature + swarm shifter templates.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »

... damn
Bat swarm still works though.

Bone creature + swarm shifter templates.
Don't you need an endoskeleton for that?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:41:14 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »
Marking so I can find this again.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »
Also going to post this later in the Psionic Tricks section, showing once and for all that metaconcert is up there with greater metamorphosis.  I call it the Arcane Crescendo.

First we need a set of psionic powers to use our pp on.  The Shards of Leadership trick supplies this nicely, letting any character capable of acquiring a psicrystal ultimately snag every power in existence.  That said, we have no pp as of yet, save the 1-20 from either race or feat(s).  Enter mental pinnacle.  We now have an assload, particularly with a high CL, and at ML equal to our CL.  Now remember how we have all those powers?  Manifest metaconcert, and if you don't wish to conduct it, pawn it off on your shiny pet rock.  Congrats, you now have a massive reserve of powers known and power points disassociated with you, but no spells so long as mental pinnacle persists.  Well, dismiss it.  Remember, your power points are now in the metaconcert, so you have none to lose from ditching the spell (0pp-0pp=0pp).  End result?  All the goodness of psionic buffing and action rape on the chassis of a Wizard, without having the dicey mechanics and arguments involved with a Spell to Power Erudite, and better capability to optimize both sides, especially given that your only limitation to manifesting absurdly powerful powers is your CL, and there are a million and one ways to augment that.

Thoughts?

EDIT : Oh, and ensure the metaconcert is capable of using bestow power, as even unaugmented, once you have those 2 pp back from it after dismissing mental pinnacle, you regain ability to achieve psionic focus, allowing the full breadth of action abuse.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:07:23 PM by KellKheraptis »
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 10:56:57 PM »
I only know of the murder of crows from Tome of Magic, which isn't fine, but close enough, and can fly.

There's a sidebar with alternate stats for doves. This might interest you.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.