Author Topic: Requesting Advice for a Druid Build  (Read 2105 times)

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Requesting Advice for a Druid Build
« on: May 13, 2011, 02:42:52 PM »
Well it looks like I will be playing in a game this summer. The DM uses a weird way to generate stats, namely 20d6 drop 2 rearrange them into 6 groups.

That stat generation method seems ideal for a druid and I have never played one before. Also the DM said there will be some amount of mounted combat, making a druid seem even better.

The basic plan is to build a druid who focuses on riding around on his animal companion in the early levels, buffing it up to be extremely effective in melee and doing some battlefield control. Later when wildshape and natural spell come online I want to be able to efficiently buff and fight in melee.  Healing will be accomplished with a healing belt and a wand of lesser vigor.

We start at level 3 and I want to be either human or halfling for story reasons. If Strongheart Halfling is ruled out I will just go human.

The basic build so far with a summoning focus is the following.
Strongheart Halfling Druid 3
feats: Companion Spellbound (PHB2), Ashbound (ECS), Spell focus conjuration, Augment Summons(flaw).
Possible Variant feats:Companion Spellbound (PHB2), Ashbound (ECS), Invisible Spell (city)
The issue with this build is that it is more summoning focused than buffing focused. And it requires flaws which might not be available . Also I run short of skill points for everything I want to do.

A more animal Companion focused build could be the following.
Strongheart Halfling Druid 3, with the first level halfling substitution level.
Feats: Companion spellbound,?????,Natural Bond
I will pick up natural bond if the DM rules that it helps offset the table progression loss due to the more powerful animal companions.
Here is where I draw a blank for what feats to take any advice would be good. This build has more skill points and works out better from that angle but the loss of spontaneous summoning is harsh. I am not sure which is the better option.

I plan to progress my animal companions in the following way. Riding dog->Dire Eagle->Magebred Ghost Tiger, the game probably will not get to level 10. I will probably train the large sized animal companions with the tunnel fighting feat, improved maneuverability for the dire eagle, and ubercharger feats for the tiger.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: Requesting Advice for a Druid Build
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
The dice method is not that far above the regular 3d6 + goodies.
Or standard point buy. My rough in guesstimate ... 18 , 15 , 12 , 9 , 8 , 6.

Since you don't really know what your stats are gonna be,
go the Animal Companion route. It can cover you weaknesses early.

You can move toward whatever "concept" after Natural Spell feat at 6th level.
Riding the AC is a standard Halfling Druid trick.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:42:07 PM by awaken DM golem »

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 09:22:46 PM »
Well I just got told that a different method is being used for generating stats. He calls it the grid system, you roll 3d6 36 times and arrange them in a 6x6 grid and then pick a row of 6 in order, either direction works. This means that a druid might not actually work but it is still my go to choice unless a stat array comes up that will work really well for something else.

Worst case scenario, I try to play a ghost.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:25:19 PM by Havok4 »

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:54:49 PM »
Well I just got told that a different method is being used for generating stats. He calls it the grid system, you roll 3d6 36 times and arrange them in a 6x6 grid and then pick a row of 6 in order, either direction works. This means that a druid might not actually work but it is still my go to choice unless a stat array comes up that will work really well for something else.

That is totally retarded... better than 6x3d6 in order but only just.

Ras F

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 05:19:22 PM »

That is totally retarded... better than 6x3d6 in order but only just.

I dunno, it generates some pretty wicked commoners. Not so much heroes.
Life gives you lemons? Then you better fucking learn Citromancy.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 05:30:39 PM »
6 rolls of 3d6 ... was a possible 1e and 2e way of generating stats.
I forget the modeling, my guess is it's still not at standard point buy.
Go for it.

Still, it doesn't really matter with a Druid.
It also doesn't really matter with a Ghost.
You could be meano, and play a Halfling Ghost Druid.
 :smirk

iirc - the worst "roll" and/or point buy, still gives a 14 11 10 10 10 8 spread.
It popped up around here about 2 years ago, hazy on location.
But this is just normal rules, which your houserules over rule.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 05:32:27 PM by awaken DM golem »

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:04:12 PM »
This DM apparantly just likes weird stat generation methods, and he apparantly has a tendency to give out house ruled items. My biggest issue with what he has said so far is that it makes me not want to play any class with a high level of gear dependency or dependence on multiple high stats. Which is why I still think druid will work out well.

I ran a few simulated runs of the grid system he mentioned, it does not look to bad really given the number of effective retries. It is still weird and I would never choose to use it for a character, but games are hard to get into and when people you know are starting one up I can stomach a few house rules. The DM is a fine guy, he just has some weird ideas on how DnD works.