Author Topic: Star Trek Holodeck?  (Read 1506 times)

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
Star Trek Holodeck?
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:53:03 PM »
This wonderful piece of technology. Is it possible to make a holodeck in DnD? some combination of specific spells? Maybe a custom magical item/location? Or is it only doable with epic spells? If it's not possible, then what is the closest thing to it?
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
Re: Star Trek Holodeck?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 01:47:46 PM »
We'll need stuff like Permanent Image along with Mirage Arcana, and some sort of mechanic that causes it to malfunction and try to kill you on a semi-regular basis.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 01:55:48 PM »
points for solo, nailed it... both aspects
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 02:56:39 PM »
A stronghold containing an item of at-will (insert illusion spell)?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:04:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure those holograms were practicaly real. Or at least real enough to, like Solo pointed out, be able to even kill their users.
So... some kind of shadow illusion maybe? If there's no easy and obvious way to emulate this, then there's always homebrew I guess. A room that creates a mini-plane inside of it and shadow illusions that are 100% real, or something like that. On what caster level could it be possible to create this? Minimum 7th, when Shadow Conjuration comes online?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:12:51 PM by AleksanderTheGreat »
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 01:58:10 AM »
A high level Shadowcraft Mage can make illusionary demiplanes with Shadow Illusion Genesis. After that, safeties off is just switching from using Permanent Image to Shadow Illusion Permanent Image.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:06:16 PM »
Well, theres always just using Microcosm.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."