Author Topic: Interesting stuff in PF  (Read 71596 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Interesting stuff in PF
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2011, 02:32:18 PM »
Eternal Glacier is pretty awesome.
It's... not called Eternal Glacier, it's called Polar Midnight. I was just comparing it to the Negima spell of that name. :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2011, 09:58:27 PM »
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/spell-perfection
Wow.
Would combining this with Echoing Spell give you unlimited castings of any spell lv6 or lower?
EDIT: Thanks to AlcariTheMad for pointing out Magical Lineage for extending this to lv7.

Also:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/preferred-spell
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:24:41 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2011, 10:33:36 PM »
Wow.
Would combining this with Echoing Spell give you unlimited castings of any spell lv6 or lower?

lol, that is hilariously insane. Yes. That's free 6th level spells. The really fucked up part is that you can modify something to what would ordinarily be 9th level, but before you ever get 9th level spell slots. So, presuming you took Echoing Spell at some point, at 12th level you choose one of your 6th level spells and you can cast it at-will, forever.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2011, 04:18:32 AM »
Cool, instant warlock.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2011, 05:20:01 AM »
It's also free metamagicked spells lower than 6th as well. I know spells like Polymorph got the nerf bat, but what other spells could this be hideously broken with in Pf?

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2011, 07:54:16 AM »
But echoing spell only allows you to cast the spell one additional time per day. Where are you geting the at-will from?

From the text of Spell Perfection: "Pick one spell which you have the ability to cast. Whenever you cast that spell you may apply any one metamagic feat you have to that spell[...]"

So that when you cast the echo of the spell you may apply your Echoing Spell feat to the echo. Over and over and over and over until you grow tired of casting it.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2011, 09:59:46 AM »
Wow.

lol, that is hilariously insane. Yes. That's free 6th level spells. The really fucked up part is that you can modify something to what would ordinarily be 9th level, but before you ever get 9th level spell slots. So, presuming you took Echoing Spell at some point, at 15th level you choose one of your 6th level spells and you can cast it at-will, forever.
Fixed. Skills work differently in PF.

Also, is there a way to reduce metamagic costs?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:04:17 AM by Prime32 »
My work

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2011, 10:39:04 AM »
Fixed. Skills work differently in PF.

Ah, of course.

Also, is there a way to reduce metamagic costs?

That I certainly wouldn't know. Veekie?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »
Not that I know of. I've looked.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »
Hadn't screwed around with metamagics much here either. Damn, I'm missing out.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2011, 10:58:52 PM »
Now, what madness can be wrought by a caster with infinite 6th-level spells and +1 caster level for each follower they possess? (via Coven witches)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:12:51 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »
Wildblooded sorcerer archetype gets variant bloodlines, effectively the same as cleric subdomains.

Celestial (Empyreal) sorcerer is Wis-based rather than Cha-based. Seems like good Mystic Theurge material. Yes, some of the stuff is redundant with a divine casting class, but since you're Wis-focused you can afford the -2 Will save from combining this with the Cross-blooded archetype (cherry-pick from two bloodlines).

Likewise, Arcane (Sage) makes the sorcerer Int-based. Useful for Ultimate Magus or Cerebremancer.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:18:10 PM by Prime32 »
My work

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2011, 07:43:54 PM »
Qinggong Monk at level 11+ can swap a class feature for the Ki Leech spell, for an activation cost of zero ki points.  The spell lasts min/level, so it's basically a constant buff at this point.  Every time you kill a creature or confirm a crit on it, you regain one ki point.  So...take someone alive but unconscious from a fight, coup de grace for nonlethal damage after each fight to re-fill your ki pool, and acheive infinite ki.

Frankly, I think it's about time the monk got some nice things.  :)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2011, 08:54:22 PM »
Anybody got some interesting ideas for the Inquisitor? It's a cool class, but it doesn't get that much love, apparently. It's got lots of utility spells (it's pretty much the marriage of a bard and a cleric), and some interesting class features, but I'm playing one now and I have no idea which way to take him.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2011, 10:11:53 AM »
No idea really, its generally solid, but theres little you can actually trigger it into.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2011, 05:17:13 PM »
Anybody got some interesting ideas for the Inquisitor? It's a cool class, but it doesn't get that much love, apparently. It's got lots of utility spells (it's pretty much the marriage of a bard and a cleric), and some interesting class features, but I'm playing one now and I have no idea which way to take him.

i wouldn't recommend focusing on archery like the class fluff and proficiencies seem to urge you to do.  They make terrible archers.  No access at all to Point Blank Master feat, none of their teamwork feats will help ranged combat one lick, and the medium BAB and no bonus feat route means you're waiting till level 15 or so for Improved Precise Shot, while some classes are getting it at level 6!  The lack of useful bonus feats in general will make the first few levels painful for archery.  Use a bow as a backup weapon and get mileage out of the proficiencies that way.

For your melee focused Inquisitor, then, I would go for an Intimidation build, working towards Imperious Command if 3E is allowed.  Choose whether you want Dazzling Display or Dreadful Carnage and follow that feat tree.  Both will give you an area demoralize, but one is avaialable very early and costs a full round action, the other takes 11+ levels and is a free action.  Also choose between Enforcer or Cornugon Stun.  If Cheliax material isn't allowed, that's an easy choice.  Enforcer is actually really awesome and available at level 1, it's just a pain having to do nonlethal damage.  Rather than using a subpar weapon or wasting a feat or taking -4 to hit, try to get the Sword of Mercy trait instead.  Can do non-lethal with slashing weapons at no penalty, and you even get +1 damage when doing so.

For race, Dwarf is great, and Half-Orc gives nice weapon proficiencies.  Half-Elf can trade Skill Focus for a free Exotic Weapon Proficiency, if you had one in mind.

Domain Powers... I like the idea of Cave subdomain for stealth and mobility boosts and the novelty of double wisdom to initiative.  Animal with Feather OR Fur subdomain is good.  Travel is great in general, and the Doorsight subdomain power is also nice for snooping.  Plant has a subdomain to Enlarge yourself as a swift action 1/day.  Restoration subdomain is always handy, if not sexy.  Those are my favorite picks for an Inquisitor.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2011, 10:44:54 PM »
How about them archetypes from Ultimate Magic? They're pretty much Inquisitor-only domains that force you to give up your 6th level teamwork feat (no big loss since those provide negligible bonuses). The Sin-eating archetype looks especially cool - at low levels it's pretty much a free CLW after combat for each enemy you kill, and it scales up too.

And yeah, the medium BAB fucks them up big time. Too many feats require relatively high BABs, it's like they need people with medium BABs to take the really shitty feats instead. (Lots of them require 13 Dex too, which for my Inquisitor character means he's fucked.)

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2011, 12:44:21 AM »
I didn't look at them much, just skimmed, but nothing awesome stood out.  Might be some moderately good options in there, I'll look later.  As for that sin eater... it sounds cool, but mechanically...after combat healing is just saving you some gp.  I mean, that's alright...  Just nothing very exciting.  If you want it for the flavor, go for it though.

And the teamwork feats aren't all sucky.  For archery they are, but lots of good stuff for melee.  Lookout is just crazy awesome.  There ones to get better flanking and the one for a little sneak attack are nice, and so forth.  There's enough decent ones for a melee Inquisitor to not run out of options before you hit the teens in level, and the game's probably ending by then anyway.