Author Topic: Interesting stuff in PF  (Read 71510 times)

Garryl

• Hong Kong
Re: Interesting stuff in PF
« Reply #220 on: September 17, 2011, 05:37:05 PM »
Abundant Ammunition (find the loophole :p)

I don't get it. It has to be nonmagical, and whenever a new ammo appears, the previous one goes away. Unless...

The quiver has to contain nonmagical ammo... when cast. I don't see anything that says you can't shove magic ammo in there after casting.

Litany of Righteousness (the verbal component is "HISSATSU!" and the somatic component involves sunglasses)

Reference, please?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:46:26 PM by Garryl »
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #221 on: September 17, 2011, 06:05:04 PM »
Abundant Ammunition (find the loophole :p)

I don't get it. It has to be nonmagical, and whenever a new ammo appears, the previous one goes away. Unless...

The quiver has to contain nonmagical ammo... when cast. I don't see anything that says you can't shove magic ammo in there after casting.
Not even that. A quiver that contains both magical and nonmagical ammunition can still receive the spell.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

radionausea

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
There are some interesting things in Inner Sea Magic.  I've only had a quick scan through and not seen anything absurdly broken (a re-read of Primal Magician archetype was needed, I didn't notice the 'pass a spellcheck to not lose a spell slot was 1/day).

I like the Shadow Caster archetype.  Gain additional spell slots/day equal to the highest level spell you can cast eg. if you can cast 5th level spells you gain 5 spells slots that can either be a level 1 spell and a 4th, a 2nd and 3rd etc.  Replaces Arcane Bond.
Stronghearted halflings do not exist.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #223 on: September 20, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »
Some unusual 3rd-party PrCs from 4Winds

Blood Caster (easily broken, 7/10 casting)
Jinx (curse-focused, 7/10 casting)
Ioun Angel (based on ioun stones, full casting)
Pikeman (just what it sounds like)
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: September 20, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »
I don't know about the Ioun Angel, the magic item creation errata of way back already removed the CL requirement for wondrous items in the first place for crafting purposes (1st level ability), you could always steal an ioun stone as a touch attack (2nd level), I'm not sure how useful that incredibly expensive 7th level ability would ever be, and the level 10 ability seems like it would be very rarely helpful, unless I'm missing something important.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
Some of those cracked and flawed ioun stones are interesting.

Opalescent White Pyramid, Cracked: 1500g for Exotic Weapon Proficiency if you already have proficiency with all martial weapons.
Scarlet and Green Cabochon, Flawed: If you have immunity to sickened and nauseated conditions, now you also have immunity to fatigue and exhaustion.
Dusty Rose Prism, Cracked: +1 to initiative for 500g.
Pale Green Prism, Cracked: Cheap (4000g) +1 to attacks or saves. Cheaper than upgrading from a +2 to +3 cloak of resistance.
Pearly White Spindle, Cracked: Immunity to bleed damage and lets you reattach severed body parts for 3400g.
Orange Prism, Cracked: Gain an extra 0th level spell for 1000g. Quite possibly lets you add it from any list, too (instead of just your own).
Vibrant Purple Prism, Cracked: Transfer around 1st level personal spells (or whatever else you do with rings of spell storing) for 2000g.
Gamboge Nodule, Cracked: Coat yourself in Minor Creation-made Black Lotus Poison without worry for 1500g.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2011, 11:35:18 PM »
Was there ever an explanation on what happens when you put an ioun stone in a wayfinder? I mean, they're cheap enough that with Rich Parents you can have both at lv1.
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2011, 03:30:46 AM »
Seeker of Secrets page 51 to 54. Theres an enormous table.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #228 on: September 22, 2011, 04:15:37 PM »
Piecemeal armor.

I am highly intrigued by this concept of piecemeal armor, but as with many things, the Pathfinder design of the concept leaves a bit to be desired. How would you improve on the execution if you were in charge?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #229 on: September 22, 2011, 11:03:31 PM »
A 1-level dip of wizard, magus (soul forger) or sorcerer (arcane bloodline) gets you an arcane bond, letting you enchant your unarmed strikes. The latter can be replicated by taking the Eldritch Heritage feat.
A 1-level dip of magus (kensai) gets you EWP, Weapon Focus and +1 AC.

Piecemeal armor.

I am highly intrigued by this concept of piecemeal armor, but as with many things, the Pathfinder design of the concept leaves a bit to be desired. How would you improve on the execution if you were in charge?
I suppose make medium armor consist of light armor and a "medium layer", with heavy armor adding a "heavy layer" as well. You can remove the outer layers of your armor when you need speed. One suit might be plates over chain over leather.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:19:09 PM by Prime32 »
My work

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #230 on: September 23, 2011, 05:34:56 PM »
Jury-Rig + Fortified Armor Training = low level crit immunity!

Eviltedzies

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Live life. Otherwise you have none.
    • Email
« Reply #231 on: October 01, 2011, 04:32:20 PM »
I was wondering if anybody had noticed the series of Create Pit spells from the Advanced Players Handbook.

The fact that it is a Conjuration (Creation) effect means it can still function inside an antimagic field and duplicated with Shadow Conjuration.

Despite the fact that it is a save or flop spell I see many many various uses for creating deep pits out of nowhere.
(Persistant Spell helps with the Save or Flop, but only so much.)

Despite the wording of "pit" it can be used on ceilings as well as floors.

Another creative and rather funny idea....

1. Obtain a 10ft by 10ft by 1ft board of wood or whatever material you desire.
2. Lay it flay on the ground, it is now a horizontal surface.
3. Cast whichever pit spell you want on it.
4. Cast Shrink Item on said object.
5. Amaze you friends at parties and cover your foes in a pit trap... literally.  :clap

Also note that the wording only checks for a horizontal surface at the casting. Afterward you could prop the board up vertically and have a walk in closet. Alternatively you could cast this spell on a large piece of cloth and then fold it up.

Solid Fog + Spiked Pit + Various Methods to Reduce Speed = No Reflex Save. (DM Disgression, but still plausable.)

Or perhaps a more entertaining thought for those with long and perverse memories.... Acid Pit + a lovely tentacle surprise at the bottom= A burnin loving the foe won't soon forget :lmao

Overall I'd say that the Pit series adds an interesting new method of Battlefield Control and adds some creative flavor to the spell mix. If anybody notices any other nifty ways to make use of this series of spells please let me know.  :clap
Light in the Darkness.
Darkness in the Light.
It is truly a neverending cycle of nightmares.
Yet that is what we have been given.
Find your dreams where you may.
And live life like no other.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #232 on: October 01, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »
I was wondering if anybody had noticed the series of Create Pit spells from the Advanced Players Handbook.

The fact that it is a Conjuration (Creation) effect means it can still function inside an antimagic field and duplicated with Shadow Conjuration.

The 1 round + 1 round/level duration makes this not work. AMF still blocks creation spells in general. It only lets in ones with instantaneous durations.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #233 on: October 04, 2011, 04:37:19 PM »
Fastest route to Tomb-Tainted Soul in PF other than dhampir race?

Also, there are now mechanics for worshipping an Elder Evil, or something like it. Some options even give free templates (including ghost and lycanthrope). The final boon is generally an lv9 SLA.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/demonic-obedience
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/demoniac

EDIT: Haha.
True Temptation (Sp): If any creature speaks Pazuzu's name aloud three times with a single breath, and that creature is within 60 feet of you, you can cast quickened charm monsterprotection from evil or a similar effect activated, that effect is immediately and automatically dispelled. You can use this ability against a creature that has not invoked Pazuzu's name, but if you do so, it functions as a normal (non-quickened) charm monster spell that does not dispel protection from evil effects. This ability is the equivalent of a 9th-level spell.
Shax's second boon lets you treat bleed effects as fast healing. Note that there are at-will bleed effects.

EDIT2: Huh. This line from PF's lycanthrope template.
Ability Scores:
It's CR+1 regardless of the animal (though you use its CR as a base if higher than yours), so dump Str and pick an arsinoitherium or a giant octopus or something.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 05:43:33 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #234 on: October 04, 2011, 07:42:04 PM »
So basically the equivalent of Legacy Champion is CE only now?  :lol
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #235 on: October 04, 2011, 07:58:33 PM »
My work

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #236 on: October 04, 2011, 08:48:45 PM »
Lookit the table, Prime.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

veekie

• Organ Grinder
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #239 on: October 26, 2011, 06:39:22 AM »
HugzTM?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 06:41:20 AM by veekie »
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]