Author Topic: Interesting stuff in PF  (Read 71508 times)

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
Re: Interesting stuff in PF
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2011, 11:49:35 PM »
3.5 familiars don't get feats, but 3.5 animal companions do (it's specifically addressed for both).

Aye, familars afterall are really only 1HD creatures who are treated as having HD equal to the master for dependant effects(IIRC). Partly why I never really payed much attention to feats for familars. But for Pathfinder might have to start digging around a bit.  :plotting
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #201 on: August 26, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »
Some talk of firearms in this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212964

Including a half-giant gunslinger/barbarian who dual-wields cannons.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #202 on: August 26, 2011, 07:11:51 PM »
I just want to post this here for future reference.  SKR endorsing this as acceptable.  Hurray for monks being able to take Weapon Focus at level 1 and other fringe benefits.

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/archives/feralMutagenAndCertainFeats

Quote from: Sean K Reynolds
I'm a proponent of the school of "you can *select* it if you sometimes qualify, but you can only *use* it when you actually meet all the requirements."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #203 on: August 26, 2011, 11:07:06 PM »
Just noticed that an undead alchemist can benefit from mutagens (including ragechemist versions) without taking penalties.

Also, there's a discovery to infuse projectile weapons with bombs... and another which does it with siege weapons. Another one allows turning a bomb into a short-range breath weapon.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:11:09 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2011, 12:04:35 AM »
Likewise, an Undead Barbarian can Rage Hop (flit in and out of rage each turn for repeated spamming of once/rage powers due to being immune to fatigue) right from level 1.  Well, level 2, since that's when you get rage powers...

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2011, 03:36:32 AM »
The projectile bombs thing work pretty nicely with rapid bombs and archery firing rates plus at least one debuff mixed in.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2011, 02:34:57 PM »
Other than range, what is archery adding, really?  Why waste a discovery on this?  You can Rapid Shot and even TWF (which you can't with a bow) with thrown bombs.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2011, 06:32:14 PM »
AFAIK you can only throw a certain number of bombs per day, so why would you want an archery fire rate? Seems like you'd run out of bombs real quick.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2011, 09:14:19 PM »
Also a good point.  Bomb alchemists seem to rely heavily on nova + 15 min. adventuring day.  Except their novas are ridiculously tame compared to what a caster could do.  "Half level d6 to ONE enemy?  Man, careful you don't break the game, there."

From what I can tell, the only way to make a bomb alchemist marinally playable is to use the bombs sparingly, a few per combat, and use them for attached nasty effects.  Like the multiround confusion one that offers no save (unless that's been eratta'd).  And then in other rounds just shoot a bow or chuck regular alchemical explosives you made.  Not amazing, but semi- battlefield control possible.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »
Yeah, the rapid shot archery method is more to oh, deliver those stinking clouds where they need to go, between regular bow attacks.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #211 on: August 29, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
UC monk archetypes are up, and they look pretty neat.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk

Flowing Monk: Different bonus feats, attacking you or your allies provokes a pseudo-AoO which trips moves and sickens the opponent at the same time (with bonuses), hitting an enemy with an AoO makes them flat-footed, Evasion for attacks, Elusive Target, reflect spells blocked by your SR
Maneuver Master: Flurry uses combat maneuvers and works with everything, all maneuver-related feats as bonus feats (ignore prereqs), using maneuvers always provokes AoO from you, roll maneuvers twice, add Wis to maneuvers, Cleave/Whirlwind maneuvers.
Martial Artist: Boosts to ability DCs, monk levels count as fighter levels for prereqs, spend a swift action at-will to ignore DR/hardness with all attacks OR add half monk level to AC/Ref/Sense Motive, immunity to fatigue/exhaustion/stunning/death effects/energy drain, resistance to ability damage/drain, defensive roll 3/day, apply evasion to defensive roll.
Master of Many Styles: Gain style feats as bonus feats (ignore prereqs), use 5 styles at the same time. Seems kind of meh.
Sensei: More class skills, bardic music, Wis SAD, share passive monk abilities with party. No flurry, but does not trade any of the abilities that can be used for Quingong monk, meaning maximum benefit from that archetype.
Sohei: Proficient with simple/martial weapons and can use them for all monk abilities (even crossbows), initiative hax, all mounted combat feats as bonus feats (ignore prereqs), unlimited quickened healing for mount, share ki-powered and passive monk abilities with mount (including AC bonus), cast swift greater magic weapon.
Tetori: Bonus feats chosen for you, Improved Grab that works against larger enemies, grapple without dropping your defences, can make AoOs against grapplers even if they have 60ft reach and are invisible, can make second saving throw against movement-hindering effects, any magical ability which makes your opponents harder to grapple is negated (including shapeshifting, freedom of movement, incorporeality and plane shift), iron body as a Su ability.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:04:27 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2011, 01:39:04 PM »
Piecemeal armor. Here's some example suits I came up with.

Arms: Scale (10gp medium; +1 AC, +3 Dex, -2 ACP, 25% ASF)
Legs: O-yoroi (300gp heavy; +2 AC, +2 Dex, -3 ACP, 20% ASF)
Torso: Plate (200gp heavy; +6 AC, +3 Dex, -4 ACP, 35% ASF)
Mixed suit (+1 AC, +5% ASF)
End result: 510gp heavy; +10 AC, +2 Dex, -4 ACP, 40% ASF

Arms: Horn lamellar (25gp medium; +1 AC, +5 Dex, -2 ACP, 25% ASF)
Legs: Studded leather (5gp light; +1 AC, +5 Dex, 0 ACP, 10% ASF)
Torso: Do-maru (200gp medium; +5 AC, +4 Dex, -4 ACP, 25% ASF)
End result: 230gp medium; +8 AC, +4 Dex, -4 ACP, 30% ASF

Arms: Horn lamellar (25gp medium; +1 AC, +5 Dex, -2 ACP, 25% ASF)
Legs: Studded leather (5gp light; +1 AC, +5 Dex, 0 ACP, 10% ASF)
Torso: Do-maru (200gp medium; +5 AC, +4 Dex, -4 ACP, 25% ASF)
Add armoured kilt (20gp light; +1 AC, +6 Dex, 0 ACP, 0% ASF)
End result: 250gp heavy; +9 AC, +4 Dex, -4 ACP, 30% ASF

Legs: Kikko (10gp medium; +1 AC, +3 Dex, -1 ACP, 10% ASF)
Add mithral (1500gp, +0 AC, +2 Dex, +2ACP, -10% ASF)
Add armoured kilt (20gp light; +1 AC, +6 Dex, 0 ACP, 0% ASF)
End result: 1530gp medium; +2 AC, +5 Dex, 0 ACP, 0% ASF

Add gauntlets and a mithral light shield, confuse everyone with your armoured wizard.

Also, a plate torso is equivalent to a breastplate, meaning you should be able to use Construct Armor as a component of a heavier suit. Wear a chain shirt underneath so you still have decent protection.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:04:59 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #213 on: September 06, 2011, 08:49:31 PM »
All the UC content for classes seems to be up. Including the wizard who uses guns. The siege mage is pretty pointless, except maybe as a dip - his only ability is to stand 30ft away from a siege engine while he's using it. Arcane bomber would be more interesting if bombs didn't come in finite supply.

A combination of these two rogue archetypes and one talent looks interesting:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/knife-master
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/bandit
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo---rogue-talents/underhanded-ex
Dual-wield kukris, naturally, and with some of these.

Save against mind-affecting effects every round, even if they don't normally allow a save.
SAed opponents can't make AoOs.
Some of the other talents look interesting but are highly dependent on the DM and type of game, such as the one which lets you spread rumours.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:09:19 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #214 on: September 07, 2011, 03:19:14 PM »
If you can port Dragonfire Inspiration...
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/sensei
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/drunken-master
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/monk-of-the-four-winds
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shaitan-style-combat-style
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shaitan-skin-combat
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shaitan-earthblast-combat
SO MUCH ACID.

Also: Janni Tempest is like the 3.5e Improved X feats on drugs but also with no arms. Horse Master, available to lv4 cavaliers, is just begging for a neo-ubermount build (be sure to combine with the Beast Rider archetype). Hex Strike lets you CURSEPUNCH, and that is an end in itself (a number of similar feats exist for specific spells/SLAs/SUs).

Kirin Style (plus Kirin Strike and Kirin Path) is the PF equivalent of Knowledge Devotion.
Mantis Style+Mantis Wisdom is interesting, letting you heal people as an attack action or get the cool SF effects sooner (dunno if Mantis Torment is worth it; maybe if it also lets you remove fatigue).
Marid Style + Marid Spirit + Marid Coldsnap = Extra reach and FREEZE PEOPLE SOLID
Monkey Style is notable mainly for Monkey Shine.
Panther Style is the PF version of Karmic Strike/Robilar's Gambit.
Snake Style = Baffling Defence
Tiger Style = Shock Trooper + Decisive Strike

The "Nightmare" line of feats (Nightmare Fist/Nightmare Weaver/Nightmare Striker) is pretty odd.

Knockout Artist + Sap Adept + Sap Master gives you 3x sneak attack damage when punching people in the head. If you can throw your unarmed strikes somehow, add in sniper's goggles - by this point each d6 has become 2d6+10. Sadly I can't think of a way to combine this with knife master to turn the dice into d8s.

Weird touch attack thing.

Raging Throw + Minotaur's Charge is a pseudo-Dungeoncrasher.

Seize the Moment + Butterfly's Sting = muhahaha

A feat which dispels shapeshifting magic whenever you hit.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:40:50 AM by Prime32 »
My work

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #215 on: September 07, 2011, 09:15:47 PM »
Quote from: Prime32
Also: Janni Tempest is like the 3.5e Improved X feats on drugs but also with no arms. Horse Master, available to lv4 cavaliers, is just begging for a neo-ubermount build (be sure to combine with the Beast Rider archetype). Hex Strike lets you CURSEPUNCH, and that is an end in itself (a number of similar feats exist for specific spells/SLAs/SUs).

Sadly, you can't normally combine Beast Rider with Horse Master.  The latter requires Expert Trainer class feature and the former loses it.  HOWEVER, a Sohei Monk dip can abuse its whole "choose mounted feats as bonus feats" without needing to meet pre-requisites to get it...probably...

In fact, since I've long wondered how the heck a Rough Rider (and with UC, you can add Dragoon to that list) Fighter, much as I like it, is supposed to function, when it's mount-based and yet gets no special mount.  The solution now seems to be a Sohei 1-2 dip (for Horse Master, and possibly another feat like Mounted Skirmisher) plus dipping some other class that gives a special mount/animal 1 level.  (Beast Rider) Cavalier probably being the best choice.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:18:50 PM by StreamOfTheSky »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #216 on: September 07, 2011, 10:35:24 PM »
And the Seize the Moment + Butterfly's Sting combo is better than I thought.

Take two or more characters with both feats (easier if one is an Inquisitor who can share it via his Solo Tactics ability). When someone confirms a critical, activate Butterfly's Sting and transfer it to your partner, who then uses Seize the Moment to gain an AoO to use it with. But note, BS causes the ally to confirm a critical, and confirming a critical is the trigger for their feats to activate. The pair can pass a crit back and forth to generate as many attacks as they have AoOs.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:37:47 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2011, 06:05:22 PM »
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #218 on: September 16, 2011, 07:07:42 PM »
Search to find spells from UC - dunno if they're all up or not.

Interesting ones, for one reason or another:
Abundant Ammunition (find the loophole :p)
Adjuring Step
Bestow Weapon Proficiency
Blistering Invective (just for the coolness factor)
Communal Mount (a communal air walk also exists)
Frightful Aspect (no save? Dip antipaladin, profit)
Haunted Fey Aspect
Hostile Juxtaposition
Life Conduit
Litany of Righteousness (the verbal component is "HISSATSU!" and the somatic component involves sunglasses)
Litany of Sloth
Shadow Bomb Admixture
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:19:35 PM by Prime32 »
My work