Author Topic: Interesting stuff in PF  (Read 71515 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Interesting stuff in PF
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »
Hmm, Eldritch Athame looks pretty good, but Animate Weapon is just asking for trouble. Add an extra full attack every round? U Mad?

Force Adept...Violent Thrust, Violent Thrust, Violent Thrust.
As for the Inquisitions....a skim over shows them to be inferior to spells by far, but we knew that already.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2011, 09:03:29 AM »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2011, 10:26:35 AM »
Yeah...at this rate the monk can do anything except fight unarmed properly...
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2011, 10:46:16 AM »
Yeah...at this rate the monk can do anything except fight unarmed properly...
They don't give up unarmed strike. And besides, that wasn't what I meant...
[spoiler]

I should note that Air Master (with air swapped for earth) is compatible with Monk of the Sacred Mountain. If you drop the Slow Time ability it can also be combined with Monk of the Four Winds.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:53:45 AM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2011, 10:48:18 AM »
unarmed strike
Does not allow a monk to fight unarmed properly. :P
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2011, 07:04:13 AM »
Interesting, I just realized you could polymorph into templated creatures in PF. This includes the Giant and Young templates so every creature now occupies 3 potential sizes.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2011, 10:46:43 AM »
Interesting, I just realized you could polymorph into templated creatures in PF. This includes the Giant and Young templates so every creature now occupies 3 potential sizes.

Man, it's a good thing Pathfinder's more balanced than 3E, then!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2011, 11:00:20 AM »

Polymorph works completely differently, so...

EDIT: Just noticed that transmutation effects now give +20 Disguise (though disguise self is still +10). Also http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/recorporeal-incarnation (pre-final-PF)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:40:52 AM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »

Polymorph works completely differently, so...
Optimizationally speaking it does give a wider range of favorable special ability, natural attacks and sizes, especially for things like giant octopi.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:57:02 AM by Prime32 »
My work

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #190 on: August 20, 2011, 04:14:29 PM »
Cleric that trades Channel Energy for +10 initiative.
It's better than that. They also get to act in every surprise round. As long as someone is more aware than anyone else (doesn't matter if it's your guys or their guys, as long as someone is aware enough for a surprise round), that's an extra standard action at the beginning of combat. However, it also costs a domain (you get 1 instead of 2), not just channel energy.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2011, 09:12:56 AM »
Barbarian rage powers to sunder spells and magic items
My work

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2011, 03:12:46 PM »
Why would you want to sunder a magic item? Did they change the mechanic in some way I don't know about?  ???
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2011, 03:17:06 PM »
Why would you want to sunder a magic item? Did they change the mechanic in some way I don't know about?  ???
There's a "broken" condition which inflicts penalties at half hp (but can be repaired with mending/make whole), and you can always choose to leave an item at 1hp.
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »
So firing certain guns without support knocks you prone unless you're Large?

Put a stand on your mount so you don't have to set it up.
My work

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2011, 07:55:26 PM »
Gah! Why must game designers refuse to be consistent across scale? If a Large creature can use a Medium Double Hackbut without risk, why can't a Medium creature use a Tiny one without being knocked on his backside?
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2011, 08:26:47 PM »
Tiny creatures can, however, use siege weapons. Take 1 rank in Knowledge (engineering), have an Improved Familiar with Siege Engineer, Master Siege Engineer and Vital Strike, and have some other familiars or summons help with loading. Buy a Colossal fiend's mouth cannon and cast the spell which increases projectile damage (I have no idea what three size increases does to 8d6 base damage, but Vital Strike then doubles it). Be sure to enchant the cannon as a magic weapon too.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/siege-engines
My work

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Familiars should be gaining feats when their master's gain feats, correct? Sometimes I really feel like a noob.... For the longest time my group has always been of the mindset that animal companions and familars don't gain attribute bonuses or feats, only recently has this changed, so never really looked into it as far as familars.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »
3.5 familiars don't get feats, but 3.5 animal companions do (it's specifically addressed for both). 3.5 psicrystals aren't specifically addressed, so they get feats by default.

In Pathfinder, the gaining of feats for familiars is not specifically addressed (unless it's somewhere else in the rules I can't find), so they should gain feats by default. Animal Companions specifically gain feats.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2011, 11:27:24 PM »
Then again, something that might be easier:

Make the cannon an animated object (19,000gp), and add a brain (+22,750gp) so it can take Master Siege Engineer. Have two smaller animated objects ride around on it (2,000gp each) to serve as crew.

Okay, that's pretty expensive, but also awesome - you just invented the Barrelion.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:34:58 PM by Prime32 »
My work