Author Topic: Interesting stuff in PF  (Read 71520 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: Interesting stuff in PF
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2011, 01:41:39 AM »
...the fuck is up with this guiding us tortuously through the process shit instead of us just anxiously awaiting for release day?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2011, 02:53:32 AM »
Not going to bother painstakingly comparing the beta and final, but it appears they straight up nerfed the Ninja (I see no boons and most definitely see the 1st free use of ninja tricks has been removed)!  :banghead

I knew they were gonna do it because people didn't like an almost competent Rogue class, but it's still saddening.  And it appears they did nothing at all about the Ninja's horrific (even worse than a monk's) MAD, left No Trace completely worthless, etc...  *sigh*  At least they didn't neuter Vanishing Trick and Invisible Blade other than the loss of one free use/day.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2011, 11:05:40 AM »
...the fuck is up with this guiding us tortuously through the process shit instead of us just anxiously awaiting for release day?
Because you're not expected to be looking in the work section. :p
EDIT: Huh. They put up a "do not link to work in progress" message. I didn't know they cared about that... See here though.

Also
Dimensional Agility
Teleportation does not faze you.
Prerequisites: Ability to use the abundant step class feature or cast dimension door.
Benefit: After using abundant step or casting dimension door, you can take any actions you still have remaining on your turn. You also gain a +4 bonus on Concentration checks when casting teleportation spells.

Dimensional Assault
You have been trained to use magical movement as part of your combat tactics.
Prerequisites: Ability to use the abundant step class feature or cast dimension door, Dimensional Agility.
Benefit: As a full-round action, you use abundant step or cast dimension door as a special charge. Doing so allows you to teleport up to double your current speed (up to the maximum distance allowed by the spell or ability) and to make the attack normally allowed on a charge.

Dimensional Dervish
You teleport with a mere thought, savaging your opponents as you flash in and out of reality.
Prerequisites: Ability to use the abundant step class feature or cast dimension door, Dimensional Agility, Dimensional Assault, base attack bonus +6.
Benefit: You can take a full-attack action, activating abundant step or casting dimension door as a swift action. If your do, you can teleport up to twice your speed (up to the maximum distance allowed by the spell or ability), dividing this teleportation into increments you use before your first attack, between each attack, and after your last attack. You must teleport at least 5 feet each time you teleport.
Special: A monk can use additional points from his ki pool to increase his speed before determining the total speed for this teleportation.

Dimensional Maneuvers
Your rapid teleportation makes your combat maneuvers more difficult to avoid.
Prerequisites: Ability to use the abundant step class feature or cast dimension door, Dimensional Agility, Dimensional Assault, Dimensional Dervish, base attack bonus +9.
Benefit: While using the Dimensional Dervish feat, you gain a +4 bonus on combat maneuver checks to bull rush, disarm, reposition, or trip an opponent.

Dimensional Savant
You flash into and out of reality so quickly it is impossible to tell exactly where you are at any given time.
Prerequisites: Dimensional Agility, Dimensional Assault, Dimensional Dervish, ability to use the abundant step class feature or cast dimension door, base attack bonus +9.
Benefit: While using the Dimensional Dervish feat, you provide flanking from all squares you attack from. Flanking starts from the moment you make an attack until the start of your next turn. You can effectively flank with yourself and with multiple allies when using this feat.

Clustered Shots (Combat)
You take a moment to carefully aim your shots, causing them all to strike nearly the same spot.
Prerequisites: Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, base attack bonus +6.
Benefit:Special:
Feral Combat Training (Combat)
You were taught a style of martial arts that relies on the natural weapons from your racial ability or class feature.
Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus with selected natural weapon.
Benefit: Choose one of your natural weapons. While using the selected natural weapon, you can apply the effects of feats that have Improved Unarmed Strike as a prerequisite, as well as effects that augment an unarmed strike.
Special: If you are a monk, you can use the selected natural weapon with your flurry of blows class feature.
Guided Hand

Prerequisites:Benefit:

The combat styles also seem kind of neat.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:03:54 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2011, 01:23:22 PM »
The problem with those Dimensional feats is a Monk can't start taking them until level 13, and you REALLY want Dim Dervish, so that's 3 high level feats and waiting till level 17...  Or, you can be a wizard and start on the feat chain at level 7...

Poor monks. :(

Clustered Shot looks awesome, pretty much solves the DR problem for archers.  And I'm just happy to see any new archer feats that don't suck at all.  I played a Zen Archer Monk several months ago and discovered that they have no respectable feat choices past level 6 (if you get to near level 17 and the Ki Arrow class feature, suddenly all the Stunning Fist and related feats become amazing, though).

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2011, 01:09:46 AM »
I thought Ultimate Combat was going to be a Late July release?  ???
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2011, 08:35:14 AM »
I thought Ultimate Combat was going to be a Late July release?  ???
Late July was a week or two ago.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2011, 10:08:25 AM »
Aye, and it sounds like the book is still in "Beta."
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2011, 10:17:09 AM »
As far as I can tell, it's not the book that's in beta, but the SRD pages are being built gradually.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapons-non-core/weapon-property---guided
Neat. :p

Also, just noticed that if you're a Small character with a Dex score more than 2 higher than Str, shrinking to Tiny makes you better at tripping/grappling. Huh?

Combined with Feral Combat Training, I want to play a pseudodragon monk now (flurry of knockout poison muhahaha). Throw on Quinggong so he can breath fire.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:52:57 AM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2011, 01:21:08 PM »
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapons-non-core/weapon-property---guided
Neat. :p

Also, just noticed that if you're a Small character with a Dex score more than 2 higher than Str, shrinking to Tiny makes you better at tripping/grappling. Huh?

Combined with Feral Combat Training, I want to play a pseudodragon monk now (flurry of knockout poison muhahaha). Throw on Quinggong so he can breath fire.

Also, an Elasmosaurus and a Sphynx have the same CMD. Which is somewhat fine when considering tripping and grappling, not quite so when considering tumble checks.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2011, 02:23:26 PM »
See here though.

*reads whole thread* Wow, that Anderlith guy makes me wish I could reach through the screen and strangle him with ethernet cable.  Holy crap, is he capable of making a post that isn't quadruple face-palm worthy?

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2011, 07:12:22 PM »
As far as I can tell, it's not the book that's in beta, but the SRD pages are being built gradually.

Ahh okay.

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2011, 04:17:10 PM »
I think this has to be the single worst feat I have ever seen.  Whoever thought of it needs to stop having ideas.

Quote from: Some douchebag who hates rogues
Flanking Foil (Combat)
Fighting multiple foes is easy for you.
Benefit: Whenever you hit an adjacent opponent with a
melee attack, until the start of your next turn, that opponent
does not gain any flanking bonus on attack rolls while it is
flanking you and cannot deal sneak attack damage to you.
It can still provide a flank for its allies.

Doesn't just stop flanking!  Nope!  Stops invisiblity, feinting, and anything else your stupid crappy rogue can think of to try and be useful in combat!  Screw the weak!  Not even having pre-requisites is just the urination icing on the turd cake!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2011, 11:46:39 PM »
There's another neat use of Feral Combat Training - combine it with graft weapon.

And now an unusual build attempt. A 20th-level PF fighter gets 21 feats, a rogue can gain bonus feats through talents, and there are more feats with fighter level prereqs now. Can we get anything useful out of this?

Not the Face!
Alchemist 1/Fighter (crossbowman) 19//Rogue (sniper) 20
Rogue Talents: Bleeding Attack, Fast Getaway, Stealthy Sniper (advanced)
Traits: Heirloom Weapon (launching crossbow)
Feats: Crossbow Mastery, Deadly Aim, Disrupting Shot, Far Shot, Focused Shot, Improved Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Rapid Reload
Equipment: Sniper's goggles

The launching crossbow is a type of exotic crossbow which fires splash weapons. Proficiency is provided by the Ancestral Weapon trait. It normally takes a full-round action to load, but Crossbow Mastery reduces that to a free action. If you don't want to take 13 levels of fighter to avoid AoOs, Point Blank Master also works.

Splash weapons are touch attacks. Crossbowman fighter adds Dex to damage with crossbows and denies Dex to AC (as long as it's a readied attack). Alchemist adds Int to damage with splash weapons. Focused Shot adds Int to damage with standard-action ranged attacks, which readied attacks are. Deadly Aim gives you 2:1 Power Attack with ranged weapons. Crossbow expert gives you another +4 attack/damage. Oh, and you also get to deliver sneak attack at out to 90ft any range, and don't take a penalty on Stealth checks made to snipe.

There's still plenty of room left in the build for other stuff, like social skills. Some levels could be swapped out for broader abilities. For instance, you could move the alchemist level to the rogue side and add the Vivisectionist archetype, replacing some or all of the rogue levels with that.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:28:24 AM by Prime32 »
My work

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2011, 12:05:26 AM »
You cannot sneak attack with flasks.  And you cannot Deadly Aim with touch atttacks.

Unless the touch attacks are from a gun, because gods forbid we hold guns to the rules of the game when they're special little snowflakes.  :shakefist

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2011, 12:19:05 AM »
You cannot sneak attack with flasks.
PAAAAIIIIZOOOOO!!! :shakefist

Oh well. Lose the alchemist level and go Double crossbow then?
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Hey neat.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/goggles-sniper-goggles

Sneak attack at any range, or turn ranged sneak attacks within 30ft into d10s. Added to build above.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:52:36 PM by Prime32 »
My work

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2011, 04:17:10 AM »
Someone in a Paizo thread pointed out water sight from the Oracle's Waves mystery.  Lets you see just fine in any sort of fog or mist as long as you could see in the prevailing lighting conditions (yay darkvision?).  So...dip 1 level in Oracle with a 12 charisma and 4/day you can lay down Obscuring Mist (more with wand, of course) and pick the least annoying curse you can (probably the tongues one).

Obscuring Mist explicitly stays stationary and is described as "cloud-like," so it's pretty much beyond reproach that if conjured in mid-air, it would not sink or anything.  Grab sniper goggles, get a means of flight and sneak attack (a Vivvisectionist Alchemist with the Wings discovery or new Beastform archetype from APG can have both by class level 6).  When these powers combine...profit?

Most annoying obstacle is finding a way to get bow proficiency so you can full attack w/o wasting a feat or additional dip level.  Elf or Half-Elf can give you it, but...they suck.

I was entertaining the combo as a backup option for a melee Alchemist, I suppose if you were making a build around it you could take actual ranged feats and possibly dip Ranger 2.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2011, 10:27:51 AM »
What the hell?

The Heirloom Weapon trait used to give you proficiency with any one weapon, make it masterwork for free, and give you a +1 trait bonus on attack rolls with it. Now it gives you proficiency with a simple or martial non-masterwork weapon. The old version still appears in the description in d20pfsrd and Google searches for now, but apparently even the PDF in which it appeared has been modified.

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderCompanion/heirloomWeaponTraitFixed

EDIT: You can still be a half-elf with the Ancestral Arms variant (one free weapon proficiency feat).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:23:05 AM by Prime32 »
My work

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2011, 10:45:28 AM »
Well, it was kinda overpowered before... :)

It is a little over-nerfed now, but what can you do?  I was working on a Zen Archer Monk guide a few days ago and was going to include HW as one of the only ways I know of for the poor ZAM to actually start the game with a bow (the idiot designers left them with monk starting wealth!!!!) and noticed the change.  I guess now the only way for a ZAM to start with the only weapon he's able to use his flurry with is to take the Rich Parents trait, which is super depressing...

On a related note, there used to be two Noble Scion feats.  One general and one local.  The local one had Narikopolus as a sub-option to gain +2 damage with composite bows with a str rating that matched your str.  It wasn't great, but it was literally the only worthwhile bow related feat a ZAM could take at level 1 (Far Shot is NOT worthwhile, you get Point Blank and Precise at 1 & 2 as bonus feat, can't use Rapid, and Deadly Aim requires BAB +1).  And...the feat has just plain vanished from the site now!  It's almost as annoying as how they're putting whole swathes of class features on their own page, that page serving no purpose other than to link to each of the individual descriptions, themselves on their own friggin' page!  It should not take half an hour to read through the Rage Powers section of Barbarian!
/rants and complaints