Author Topic: Interesting stuff in PF  (Read 71509 times)

AlcariTheMad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Interesting stuff in PF
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2011, 07:12:13 PM »
Also, is there a way to reduce metamagic costs?
This is a limited cost reducer:  http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-lineage

If you can't take a free trait at first level, you can grab it with Additional Traits and pick up Reactionary for +2 init (or any other non-magic trait) at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:14:03 AM by AlcariTheMad »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2011, 10:07:25 PM »
Shambling Mounds have a surprising amount of support. Even one variant that lets you be Arakune. :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2011, 04:03:41 AM »
Yeah, I was surprised when I first noticed that.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2011, 04:38:25 PM »
1. Take Butterfly's Sting
2. Dual-wield keen kukris.
3. Team up with a scythe-wielding magus with a bunch of [Critical] feats and the Critical Strike arcana.
4. ???
5. Profit!

Heck, be the magus and give the kukris to your monkey familiar or something.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:42:19 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2011, 10:46:45 PM »
1. Take Butterfly's Sting
2. Dual-wield throwing returning keen kukris.
3. Team up with a scythe-wielding magus with a bunch of [Critical] feats and the Critical Strike arcana.
4. ???
5. Profit!

Heck, be the magus and give the kukris to your monkey familiar or something.
Fixed. Why waste the time going to melee?
Butterfly works from range.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2011, 04:50:16 PM »
Amidst the "anything which is unbalanced is not RAW by definition, I am entitled to my opinion" arguments, there's a designer statement on the Echoing Spell + Spell Perfection combo.
http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/general/ultimateMagusUnlimitedSpellPerDayCombo&page=2#75
Looks like it's "a metamagic feat cannot be applied to the same spell more than once, and an echo counts as the original spell for this purpose".

And I tip my hat to you, Ravingdork, for finding it a month and a half before me. :p
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:08:55 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Fadier

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2011, 05:30:07 PM »
Spell Perfection could be the next Residual Magic for SCMs (Assuming your allowed to use 3E material). Just use Heighten Spell.
My gift back to the CO community, the The Chameleon Handbook. Humans only.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2011, 07:54:02 PM »
Amidst the "anything which is unbalanced is not RAW by definition, I am entitled to my opinion" arguments, there's a designer statement on the Echoing Spell + Spell Perfection combo.
http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/general/ultimateMagusUnlimitedSpellPerDayCombo&page=2#75
Looks like it's "a metamagic feat cannot be applied to the same spell more than once, and an echo counts as the original spell for this purpose".

And I tip my hat to you, Ravingdork, for finding it a month and a half before me. :p
Let's not forget that per their FAQ, anyone wearing mithral fullplate without heavy armor proficiency takes penalties anyway.

Even though it's not stated anywhere and specific trumps general.

So why would anyone want mithral fullplate again?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2011, 12:46:30 AM »
Barbarians class features, and run speed
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »
Barbarians class features, and run speed

Medium armor run speed is the same as heavy armor, and a Barbarian would have to blow a feat on it anyway.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2011, 01:12:25 PM »
Medium is *4, heavy is *3.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2011, 06:35:05 PM »
Because the total AC bonus of armor + max dex is still higher for mithral full plate than any other armor, and Dwarves and Fighters (and Oracles with a certain curse, "Lame" or "Crippled" or something like that) can move normal speed in any armor unhindered anyway?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2011, 10:23:49 AM »
3rd-party Magus alternative
"Light, come forth!"

Also, a tanking class which can wield a crossbow or polearm in two hands while also using a shield, and even gets an accuracy bonus. Could be neat on a mount.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:44:55 AM by Prime32 »
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #133 on: July 23, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »
My work

b100d_arrowz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2011, 05:16:14 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that the Astral Plane breaks the action economy hard...

Enhanced Magic: All spells and spell-like abilities used within the Astral Plane may be employed as if they were improved by the Quicken Spell or Quicken Spell-Like Ability feats. Already quickened spells and spell-like abilities are unaffected, as are spells from magic items. Spells so quickened are still prepared and cast at their unmodified level. As with the Quicken Spell feat, only one quickened spell or spell-like ability can be cast per round.

As if Wizards couldn't already beast in planar combat...

1. Insert bag of holding into portable hole
2. ???
3. Profit
I'm delirious from lack of sleep, but am sustained by the power of the Gatling Gun!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2011, 08:10:01 PM »
The Astral Plane's auto-quicken is not quite as great as it first looks, unless you're an RKV or otherwise have access to additional swift actions. Since everything's quickened, everything with a 1 round or less casting time uses your singular swift action each round. Also, it nerfs immediate action spells hard (they're now swift actions, so usable on your turn only). I suppose you could move across the threshold of a planar bubble every round to alternate between normal and quickened spells, but that's still a lot of work.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »
The Astral Plane's auto-quicken is not quite as great as it first looks, unless you're an RKV or otherwise have access to additional swift actions. Since everything's quickened, everything with a 1 round or less casting time uses your singular swift action each round. Also, it nerfs immediate action spells hard (they're now swift actions, so usable on your turn only). I suppose you could move across the threshold of a planar bubble every round to alternate between normal and quickened spells, but that's still a lot of work.

According to what blood quoted spells MAY be quickened, they don't have to be.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2011, 11:05:14 AM »
My work

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2011, 05:09:19 PM »
I just wanted to add to this... While I generally revile pathfinder, as winning because there was no one else. . . lol

They hired DSP to do PSIONICS UNLEASHED.

I'm really please with it, the changes to the races and classes are pretty damn good.
It makes it interesting enough to go back over with a fine toothed comb.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2011, 01:12:07 AM »
My work