Author Topic: Interesting stuff in PF  (Read 71517 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Interesting stuff in PF
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:08:01 AM »
AoO trip builds are harder in PF... but there's a feat which grants +20ft reach and lets you move after AoOs.

Shadow Blade exists in a more limited form, allowing for Str-dumping fighters.

Power Attack has better returns (3:1 two-handed, 2:1 one-handed, 1:1 light but with an alternative) but much lower caps, while Cleave and Great Cleave now activate when you hit an opponent rather than when you drop them.

Cornugon Smash + Dastardly Finish = ! (gets ridiculous if Imperious Command is allowed)

The teamwork feats might seem too situational to justify two characters taking them, but three levels in Inquisitor lets you share them with your allies (and grants you bonus feats to spend on them, and lets you change your teamwork feats at will). Cavalier grants a more limited sharing ability from 1st level.

There are feats which grant casting in armour.

Do not overlook the alternate archetypes for classes. While the standard fighter's numerous "+1 to something" abilities are completely useless, the archetypes trade them for things like pseudo-Pounce, double-range precision damage, treating enemies as flat-footed against all standard-action attacks, and the ability to provide allies with both improved cover and evasion.

Just... ignore the Achievement Feats.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:05:34 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Interesting stuff in PF
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:50:35 AM »
Covering Defense is great to have on a minion(if it took less than Total Defense then maybe we got a thing going), remember what Cover voids. AoOs stop dead.

Dastardly Finish meanwhile, provides an avenue to take down difficult opponents, just need a reliable daze or fear source.

Dazing Assault's penalty is probably too hefty for most, but after the change to Power Attack, Fighters(esp with weapon mastery), Smiting Paladins and Barbarians  probably have the to-hit to spare.

The Extra [Whatever] feats are a nice touch, you get to trade feats into your class special features. Not sure if theres any internal logic to which abilities get those feats and which don't.

Furious Focus meanwhile, is pretty awesome at low levels and for charging builds. Power attack at no penalty to the first attack! Why the hell not? Later on you'd be swapping that to hit out for stuff like Dazing Assault anyway, so at least you can still connect and to spare.

The Teamwork feats in general have some interesting effects as well, but the problem is needing multiple compatible players with them. Things like Lookout are incredible if theres no other pressing feats to take though. Especially if you have a Diviner wizard or some other kind of unsurprisable people in the party.
Paired Opportunists and Outflank are nice to have in gimmick parties. Basically get two rogues, Combat Reflexes and have fun. Flank, attack with high crit weapons(preferably TWFing as rogues) and when you crit, the target draws an AoO from your ally via Outflank, who 'clones' the AoO to you via Paired Opportunist and generally rip the poor target apart. You'd need Gang Up, but since all those are Combat feats, a Fighter dip would be good.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:00:30 AM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:15:33 AM »
I haven't read through all of these, but this one really jumped out at me.  This might be an okay feat if they didn't limit you to using a scimitar in one hand and nothing in your other hand.

You basically spend two feats and some skill points to be able to use a different ability mod on one specific type of weapon.  Maybe those other feats they mention really make it worth it, but it looks to me like this sort of thing should just be handed out for free.  That's two feats and skill points to say "use Dex instead of Str, but only on scimitars, and no TWF or shields!"
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 10:15:57 AM »
Agile maneuvers allows for dex-based grapplers/trippers whitout any strings attached.

Bullrush greater makes your bullrushed oponents take aoos. Set things ahead with your allies and it's quite a bit of extra damage!

Bullrush strike makes free bullrushes when you crit. Combine with the already mentioned Dex to damage and hit with a scimitar, pimp the crit range, and you can get a Dex-based agile warrior that sends oponents flying while they provoke aoos!

Dastardly Finish meanwhile, provides an avenue to take down difficult opponents, just need a reliable daze or fear source.
To be honest, if you can already reliably cower/daze your oponent, they're already dead. At least they cannot boher you anymore while you finish off their allies.

Dazing Assault's penalty is probably too hefty for most, but after the change to Power Attack, Fighters(esp with weapon mastery), Smiting Paladins and Barbarians  probably have the to-hit to spare.

Heck I would probably pick that on a non-PF game anyway since to-hit bonus are usually easy to stack. Minus 10 damage for a chance to daze? Count me in!

Furious Focus meanwhile, is pretty awesome at low levels and for charging builds. Power attack at no penalty to the first attack! Why the hell not? Later on you'd be swapping that to hit out for stuff like Dazing Assault anyway, so at least you can still connect and to spare.
What about using that feat with gool old power attack? Isn't that the purpose of this thread after all (seeing wich new pathfinder feats would be cool in a regular game)?  :p

Just... ignore the Achievement Feats.

They wouldn't be so bad if you automatically got them for free when you meet the prerequisites! :P

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 10:47:52 AM »
What about using that feat with gool old power attack? Isn't that the purpose of this thread after all (seeing wich new pathfinder feats would be cool in a regular game)?
I mean, blowing your whole wad on Power Attack, offsetting it with Furious Focus and then blowing it AGAIN on Dazing Assault.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »
I haven't read through all of these, but this one really jumped out at me.  This might be an okay feat if they didn't limit you to using a scimitar in one hand and nothing in your other hand.

You basically spend two feats and some skill points to be able to use a different ability mod on one specific type of weapon.  Maybe those other feats they mention really make it worth it, but it looks to me like this sort of thing should just be handed out for free.  That's two feats and skill points to say "use Dex instead of Str, but only on scimitars, and no TWF or shields!"
Note that rogues can pick up Weapon Finesse as a talent at any even level. As well as... any combat feat, which makes that first ability entirely pointless. ???
Yes, rogues are basically gestalt rogue/fighters now.

On another note, bards have archetypes which turn them into sort-of duskblades, archivists and beguilers.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:44:39 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »
The bard probably wants to look into the Lingering Song feat, which can easily triple the endurance of his music, and also keep an eye out for spells like Saving Finale.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:16:02 PM »
Favored Class Alternative for Human Sorcerers is AWESOME, IMO.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 09:25:42 PM »
I haven't read through all of these, but this one really jumped out at me.  This might be an okay feat if they didn't limit you to using a scimitar in one hand and nothing in your other hand.

You basically spend two feats and some skill points to be able to use a different ability mod on one specific type of weapon.  Maybe those other feats they mention really make it worth it, but it looks to me like this sort of thing should just be handed out for free.  That's two feats and skill points to say "use Dex instead of Str, but only on scimitars, and no TWF or shields!"
Note that rogues can pick up Weapon Finesse as a talent at any even level. As well as... any combat feat, which makes that first ability entirely pointless. ???
Yes, rogues are basically gestalt rogue/fighters now.

On another note, bards have archetypes which turn them into sort-of duskblades, archivists and beguilers.

Rogues can only take any given talent once, so by having one talent specifically for finesse, they can get it and another combat feat, rather than being limited to only one of them. It still makes them pseudo gestalt for the first 2-4 levels (more if you also want Weapon Focus, Improved Steal, or Intimidating Prowess, or if you trade Trapfinding for the Swashbuckler's Martial Training).

Speaking of which, Intimidating Prowess lets Zhentarim Fighters and other Intimidators dump Charisma.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 09:47:49 PM »
Heh, I hadn't even noticed the alternate racial stuff.

Half-orcs get some unique Favoured Class options, with the ability to add half their level to damage with fire spells and alchemist bombs. The option for a half-orc inquisitor could get them enormous Intimidate and Knowledge modifiers, to the point where the Thug rogue's "shaken for 4 rounds -> frightened for 1 round" could come up often.

EDIT:
The Teamwork feats in general have some interesting effects as well, but the problem is needing multiple compatible players with them. Things like Lookout are incredible if theres no other pressing feats to take though. Especially if you have a Diviner wizard or some other kind of unsurprisable people in the party.
Paired Opportunists and Outflank are nice to have in gimmick parties. Basically get two rogues, Combat Reflexes and have fun. Flank, attack with high crit weapons(preferably TWFing as rogues) and when you crit, the target draws an AoO from your ally via Outflank, who 'clones' the AoO to you via Paired Opportunist and generally rip the poor target apart. You'd need Gang Up, but since all those are Combat feats, a Fighter dip would be good.
One word: dvati.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 03:32:45 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 03:24:40 PM »
Out of curiostity whats the limit on PA? I didn't see one on the link you provided.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 03:31:58 PM »
Out of curiostity whats the limit on PA? I didn't see one on the link you provided.
Quote from: Power Attack
The limit is -1. At BAB +4 the minimum and maximum is -2, at BAB +8 it's -3, etc.
My work

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 04:03:03 PM »
Oh wow! I misread that totally. My fault... so the maximum amount you can power attack for in PF is -6 which results in +18 damage from it at 20 basically? Correct?
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 04:47:49 PM »
Oh wow! I misread that totally. My fault... so the maximum amount you can power attack for in PF is -6 which results in +18 damage from it at 20 basically? Correct?
Yes, though if you're doing an analysis you should take into account Piranha Strike, which is 2:1 Power Attack for light weapons. And arguably a monk with Piranha Strike can apply the full bonuses to his dual-wielded unarmed strikes as part of a flurry of blows since "There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed".

Hmmm... is there any way to treat scimitars as monk weapons? Monk dip + Dervish Dance. Monk of the Empty Hand archetype might work.

EDIT: My god, some of the monk archetypes are insane.
Slow Time (Su): At 12th level, a monk of the four winds can use his ki to slow time or quicken his movements, depending on the observer. As a swift action, the monk can expend 6 ki points to gain three standard actions during his turn instead of just one. The monk can use these actions to do the following: take a melee attack action, use a skill, use an extraordinary ability, or take a move action. The monk cannot use these actions to cast spells or use spell-like abilities, and cannot combine them to take full-attack actions. Any move actions the monk makes this turn do not provoke attacks of opportunity.

This ability replaces abundant step.
There's another capstone which casts true resurrection on all allies within 50ft, then erases you from existence.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 05:03:24 PM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 05:13:03 PM »
There's another capstone which casts true resurrection on all allies within 50ft, then erases you from existence.
That one is kinda a retard though.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 05:20:14 PM »
That one is kinda a retard though.
For sheer novelty though...

What happens if you change your name to "the" just before using it? :smirk

On another note, the Drunken Master can be combined with Monk of the Four Winds. Add Deep Drinker and you can use its acceleration continuously. More practical with Fast Drinker and/or Accelerated Drinker added.
EDIT: Drunken Brute barbarian works like Accelerated Drinker, and any round where you drink alcohol doesn't count against the duration of your rage.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:56:00 PM by Prime32 »
My work

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 07:19:14 PM »
Taking a look at the alchemist's talent options... it's possible to build Samus Aran or Megaman.
Fast Bombs let you make full attacks with things that deal 10d6+Int damage with variable energy or gas effects including force.

The class level + Int limit on bombs per day is kind of a let-down, but gnomes can add half their class level to that via favoured classes, and have an alternate racial trait which treats them as 1 level higher for determining damage. Half-orcs can add half their level to bomb damage (and can put their ability boost into Int).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:25:00 PM by Prime32 »
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 01:56:08 PM »

Returning to this, the Magus class in Ultimate Magic now lets you dual-wield... with a spell. Plus you can channel that spell through the scimitar itself (enlightened-fist-style), using its critical threat range. And with one talent, whenever you crit you can cast and deliver a touch spell against the target as a swift action.
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 03:33:11 PM »
The Synthesist is going to be basically a Master Transmogrifist isn't it?

EDIT: I see a pokemon master Alchemist
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:19:27 PM by veekie »
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]