Author Topic: Last Day for Dr. Horrible: Join Joss Whedon's Master Plan while you still can!  (Read 5057 times)

OneWinged4ngel

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 06:53:06 PM by OneWinged4ngel »

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Midnight EDT or PDT or GMT or...New Dehli time?

OneWinged4ngel

• Email
Midnight EDT or PDT or GMT or...New Dehli time?

Honestly not sure.  Probably says on the site.

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
My browncoat group has been talking about this but I hadn't taken the time for it.

I watched it when you posted this message.

Pure win.

I will almost definitely pay for this so I can have it for always.  Whedon + Neil Patrick Harris + Nathan Fillion?  Come on!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Watched the 1st Episode - AWESOME!

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
I was going to get it... right up until I saw the ending of the third episode. The tone was very different and enough that it fell into one of those "Watch once" categories, that are usually reserved for movies of high skill and low happiness.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Rev

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
I was going to get it... right up until I saw the ending of the third episode. The tone was very different and enough that it fell into one of those "Watch once" categories, that are usually reserved for movies of high skill and low happiness.

Yep. Definitely agree.
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Vindiction7

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Oh man, I missed it!  :wall

Oh well, I'll just have to buy it.  Big fan of Joss Whedon.  Can't believe I never saw this before!

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
Awesome indeed ! I just watched the first episode.

edit: it overflows with goodness ! I'll definitely buy it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:46:15 PM by Omen of Peace »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

OneWinged4ngel

• Email
More Horrible Goodness:

http://www.myspace.com/darkhorsepresents?issuenum=12&storynum=2
^-- a short comic about Captain Hammer, the nemesis of Dr. Horrible.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
I did some lurking around and found this:
Quote from: Felicia Day
After an exhaustive promotions schedule during the convention, she hoped to "geek out" at her two interests, "I love pen and paper games and I am obsessed with fantasy authors." For the last year and half, she'd taken up Dungeons & Dragons, and was "pretty into it now," currently playing a third-level wizard under D&D's fourth edition rules.
Heh.
Maybe we can get her over here.

She also has some kind of videocast, the Guild: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq05zQjgoUA
(I only watched this episode, and it's indeed filled with - easy - references to RPGs)
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

OneWinged4ngel

• Email
I did some lurking around and found this:
Quote from: Felicia Day
After an exhaustive promotions schedule during the convention, she hoped to "geek out" at her two interests, "I love pen and paper games and I am obsessed with fantasy authors." For the last year and half, she'd taken up Dungeons & Dragons, and was "pretty into it now," currently playing a third-level wizard under D&D's fourth edition rules.
Heh.
Maybe we can get her over here.

She also has some kind of videocast, the Guild: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq05zQjgoUA
(I only watched this episode, and it's indeed filled with - easy - references to RPGs)

That would be officially sweet.  Good luck to you, ambassador.  *Salutes*

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
While I was watching, I knew I recognized the girl from somewhere and finally realized it was from The Guild.  One of my gaming party introduced that to me.  I haven't caught up on it, but she was fantastic so this gives me more reason to.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Episode 3-- my take is that it is VERY Joss Whedon. 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

OneWinged4ngel

• Email
While I was watching, I knew I recognized the girl from somewhere and finally realized it was from The Guild.  One of my gaming party introduced that to me.  I haven't caught up on it, but she was fantastic so this gives me more reason to.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Episode 3-- my take is that it is VERY Joss Whedon. 

(Deleted)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:01:46 PM by OneWinged4ngel »

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Maybe I'm dumb, but I didn't get the very last frame(s).

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
So anyone know if the songs are up independently anywhere?  I'd love to add them to my playlist shuffle.

OneWinged4ngel

• Email
Maybe I'm dumb, but I didn't get the very last frame(s).

...It was the point of the whole movie, though!

The ending is what made it *elegant.*  It's what made it *poignant.*  It's what made it *meaningful.*  It was the point that drove home the essential purpose of the story and hammers home its underlying message in just one elegant little line.  Any less and I would have been disappointed in Whedon.

I'm not quite sure how to address not understanding it.  Kinda the whole movie built up to that point.  Is there some specific issue you're struggling to wrap your head around, or do you just not follow the whole movie?  I guess i can try to help.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:22:14 PM by OneWinged4ngel »

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Well, I can see it in a couple of different ways and I understand the ways it COULD play out, but since I can interpret it in multiple ways, I was wondering what the "definitive" interpretation was.

But, y'know, since I don't claim to be a Wheedon-ite and I don't look down on people who don't understand movies, what do I know?

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
In short: Whedon is not a happy-ending guy. Though he tells a great story and presents it well, many of his endings are 'Your guys kinda won, but our princess is in another castle so see us next time for...'

The ending here was the goal of the journey that the character was on, doing the best with what was dealt. I dunno if that helps, but that is what I took away.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
  • Chaotic Evil and loving it.
    • Email
*Captain Hammer shows his fists*

"These aren't the hammer."

*Leaves*

"The hammer is my penis."

:lol

Priceless.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 04:17:47 PM by Guyr Adamantine »