Author Topic: Just Going to Put This Out There... PF/3.5 E6 or E8, for Fun  (Read 31656 times)

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
Re: Just Going to Put This Out There... PF/3.5 E6 or E8, for Fun
« Reply #220 on: May 16, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »
Wow, alot of posts to catch up on.

I apologise if I sounded hostile or too nit-picky, that was not my intention at all.  :)
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: May 16, 2011, 04:01:56 PM »
Wow, alot of posts to catch up on.

I apologise if I sounded hostile or too nit-picky, that was not my intention at all.  :)
It's not my intention to take it that way either. I'm sure I'm coming off the same way for a few people.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: May 16, 2011, 04:25:19 PM »
So, if I understood correctly, you want to convert 1/2 of all types of AC bonus to DR, right? By raw it's 1/2 of armor, 1/5 of natural armor and the others are left alone; also enhancement bonuses explicitly don't convert to DR (thus a +2 chain shirt would be +4 AC and +2 DR, not +3/+3). I'd rather we go by RAW here, as I can't really see a realistic reason you should translate bonuses like deflection, dodge or even worse dex into DR.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: May 16, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »
Oh no, dodge and Dex would stay exactly the same, but if you think the deflection bonus should stay as well, then I'm perfectly fine with that. But yeah, enhancement bonuses don't turn into DR.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: May 16, 2011, 11:55:24 PM »
Just my 2 cents, but I think Deflection should stay as it is. By definition, it's meant to deflect or turn away blows, rather than absorb them.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2011, 12:12:33 AM »
Just my 2 cents, but I think Deflection should stay as it is. By definition, it's meant to deflect or turn away blows, rather than absorb them.
Fair enough. Deflection will stay.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: May 17, 2011, 12:18:31 AM »
I've made the adjustments on the rules. Adamantine armor DR stacks with regular armor DR, natural armor is 5:1 as per the regular rules, dodge/Dex/deflection stay the same, and mage armor and bracers of armor would like regular armor for the half ratio rounded down for AC/DR.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #227 on: May 17, 2011, 12:50:23 AM »
Sounds fair enough to me.
----edit----

By the way, there aren't very many differences, but there are a couple, so when in doubt are we using PF craft rules or 3.5, pertaining to mundane items rather than magical ones? And may I craft any starting items that I have craft ranks for, or should I save that for in-game time?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:43:22 AM by VennDygrem »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #228 on: May 17, 2011, 03:15:13 AM »
I'm ready whenever you guys are.

@ VennDygrem -- We're using the crafting rules from Pathfinder, but the magic item ruling of 3.5 so that there are no accidental cursed items. Only purposely made ones.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: May 17, 2011, 03:20:02 AM »
What do you mean by 'purposely made ones'? I'm assuming you're referring to my question regarding crafting items pre-game. For instance, I'm asking so I know if I can craft alchemical items (ie: alchemist's fire, antivenom, etc.) and save a little extra money. If not, then I spend the full market price. Either way I'm fine.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: May 17, 2011, 03:25:48 AM »
What do you mean by 'purposely made ones'? I'm assuming you're referring to my question regarding crafting items pre-game. For instance, I'm asking so I know if I can craft alchemical items (ie: alchemist's fire, antivenom, etc.) and save a little extra money. If not, then I spend the full market price. Either way I'm fine.
Sorry, didn't realize I had skipped over that. I updated the rules to make more sense. It's now magic item creation of items for 3.5. By "purposely made ones" I refer to the bag of devouring and boots of dancing.

But yes, you can totally make your own items for the beginning of the game. I'm all for that. And, guys, this goes for everyone. You can all make your own stuff so long as you have ranks in the appropriate Craft skill. Just put in the OOC the rolls for it. If it gets botched, you lose nothing. You just pay for the item full price. But your chances might be good enough if you have a high enough bonus.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #231 on: May 17, 2011, 04:40:39 AM »
@ Mixster -- There is no pirate archetype. Just the Sea Singer. Do you mean the occupation from ToS? If it's not there, then you can't have those three skills. It may not make sense, but neither does a knight not having diplomacy. The occupation tries to not overlap skills that you're already going to have with an obvious class, like Bluff and Diplomacy. They try to make up for this with giving you access to the Persuasive feat. Then again, not too many pirates are diplomatic.

Just so you know, what happens on the sea, stays on the sea, so long as you sink it. Also, and this goes for everyone, once you're off this continent, the sea is lawless (although the navy tries to fix that). It's anything goes. Also, other continents have different laws, if any.

Anyone can have a sword, but legally you have to be knighted (or be the descendant of one), a noble, or part of the church (or navy which is technically the same). You are given a scroll that gives you permission to have it. Also, at sea, since it's basically lawless, you can have one.

Nah but many of them are liars, and they don't get bluff either.

Anyway, the thing about the seas are awesome and fits this character perfectly.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #232 on: May 17, 2011, 06:46:34 PM »
I think I'm good to go, probably work inventory around a bit more.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: May 17, 2011, 06:49:39 PM »
Sounds good.

I just updated the character background area to let everyone know what colours the NPCs will have. I see no one took it yet, so I'm jumping it.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #234 on: May 17, 2011, 08:51:30 PM »
Schoolwork stepped up a notch, which caught me of guard. Lovely planning my Uni tends to spring on me. Have to back down on my application, won't have time for another 3 weeks basically.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2011, 08:52:26 PM »
Schoolwork stepped up a notch, which caught me of guard. Lovely planning my Uni tends to spring on me. Have to back down on my application, won't have time for another 3 weeks basically.
That's alright. We can always bring you in during a later time. Hopefully school won't be too evil for you.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #236 on: May 18, 2011, 08:22:35 AM »
By the way, would you allow me to get both the Parrot Familiar and Versatile Perfomance if I traded in something else? What would that have to be? Sea legs, lore Master at 6th?

Bumping this question.

I could take Versatile performance with a feat, right? Could I then take it before I'd get it normally?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #237 on: May 18, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »
By the way, would you allow me to get both the Parrot Familiar and Versatile Perfomance if I traded in something else? What would that have to be? Sea legs, lore Master at 6th?

Bumping this question.

I could take Versatile performance with a feat, right? Could I then take it before I'd get it normally?
Sorry, I had completely missed this question somehow. You can take Versatile Performance as a feat, if you would like it, but you can't take it earlier than usual. It "requires" a 2nd level Bard, so you'd have to wait until 3rd level to take it as a feat. Took me a minute to find the parrot familiar, but I got it. But you want a parrot more than a monkey? Aww. No pirates of the Caribbean be you.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #238 on: May 18, 2011, 03:32:46 PM »
Monkies are cooler than parrots. It's not just an opinion, it's a fact!(Read it on the internet).

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #239 on: May 18, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »
Thirded on the superiority of monkeys. :P
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:06:01 PM by VennDygrem »