Author Topic: Just Going to Put This Out There... PF/3.5 E6 or E8, for Fun  (Read 31652 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Just Going to Put This Out There... PF/3.5 E6 or E8, for Fun
« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2011, 04:16:01 PM »
More like +2 AC/2 DR for a chain shirt.
One of my issues with the DR system is that it seems too little to matter. Full plate gives 4 DR, which isn't that much when a greatsword is 2d6+1.5xStr. I'd rather plan to succeed (be hit less often) that to fail less (be hit more often for a bit less).

Also, regarding the move through difficult terrain rule, is that in addition or instead of the standard way (pay 2x movement cost)?
True, but if you were fighting people with a greatsword then that'd be an issue.

That's in addition to. You can choose to go 2x movement, or do the options listed.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2011, 04:23:58 PM »
More like +2 AC/2 DR for a chain shirt.
One of my issues with the DR system is that it seems too little to matter. Full plate gives 4 DR, which isn't that much when a greatsword is 2d6+1.5xStr. I'd rather plan to succeed (be hit less often) that to fail less (be hit more often for a bit less).

Also, regarding the move through difficult terrain rule, is that in addition or instead of the standard way (pay 2x movement cost)?
True, but if you were fighting people with a greatsword then that'd be an issue.

That's in addition to. You can choose to go 2x movement, or do the options listed.

Was just an example ;) It's rather similar with any 2-handed weapon. My experience with 3.5 makes me believe that DR 1 to 4 is far too little to matter, and I'd rather have the extra AC. If the others are in favor of DR I'm cool with it though.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: May 15, 2011, 04:26:40 PM »
Was just an example ;) It's rather similar with any 2-handed weapon. My experience with 3.5 makes me believe that DR 1 to 4 is far too little to matter, and I'd rather have the extra AC. If the others are in favor of DR I'm cool with it though.
I'm just thinking ahead when AC means almost nothing, and any kind of DR will be welcome. You're basically looking at daggers and spears, maybe a bashing shield, or brigands using weapons they shouldn't be.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »
In an E6 game, dr 1-4 matters. Against SuperSwordy McPowerAttacky, no. Against most people it still has a noticeable effect. Much like the Martial Spirit stance's 2hp per attack.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #184 on: May 15, 2011, 04:33:17 PM »
By the way, I know the pfsrd's point buy table was mentioned earlier, and that we're doing 32 pb, but are we using the PF point buy system or 3.5?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: May 15, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »
By the way, I know the pfsrd's point buy table was mentioned earlier, and that we're doing 32 pb, but are we using the PF point buy system or 3.5?
We're going with the standard 3.5 point buy because that's what E6/E8 asks us to use. It's not really necessary because we aren't taking anything with LA (which lowers how many points you get), but I thought I'd stick with the E6 rules in that regard.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
« Reply #186 on: May 15, 2011, 04:49:02 PM »
Heh good I can use my 3.5 PB calculator  :D
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #187 on: May 15, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »
Though I'd like to make a suggestion, something we use(brothers and friends) for attribute generation.

We call it the "Take 82 rule," all six of your abilities will add up to 82, you can have no ability lower than 3 or higher than 18(before racial modifiers) as if you had rolled for them. For example, combinations I like are 16, 16, 14, 14, 12, 10 or 18, 16, 14, 14, 10, 10, and another would be 18, 14, 14, 14, 12, 10.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #188 on: May 15, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »
Though I'd like to make a suggestion, something we use(brothers and friends) for attribute generation.

We call it the "Take 82 rule," all six of your abilities will add up to 82, you can have no ability lower than 3 or higher than 18(before racial modifiers) as if you had rolled for them. For example, combinations I like are 16, 16, 14, 14, 12, 10 or 18, 16, 14, 14, 10, 10, and another would be 18, 14, 14, 14, 12, 10.
Suggestion heard, but we're using the E6 rules for abilities.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #189 on: May 15, 2011, 07:44:01 PM »
As a Paladin-Guard, will my character be allowed a Longsword or still the usual Spear?

Any restrictions on armor that I missed?(Thinking Splint Mail and Heavy Steel Shield)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2011, 07:49:49 PM »
As a Paladin-Guard, will my character be allowed a Longsword or still the usual Spear?

Any restrictions on armor that I missed?(Thinking Splint Mail and Heavy Steel Shield)
You will be allowed a longsword, but you won't be able to carry it. Paladins are considered part of the church's honor guard, and their chivalric weapons are stored in the vault until such time that they are called upon to defend the city against brigands that need to taste cold steel before they know the mistake they made in coming to the city. If you yourself are not a noble, then the emblem of the deity you worship will be lightly engraved on the pommel of your sword (doesn't count towards a holy symbol though).

No restrictions on armor. Just that you have to pay for your own if you want good quality, or you can borrow a set of leather armor from the manor house, but it's used, and the dwarf's not always able to keep up on the maintenance of them.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2011, 08:10:22 PM »
What about on adventures, will I be allowed to carry it then?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: May 15, 2011, 08:12:33 PM »
What about on adventures, will I be allowed to carry it then?
Only if it's a holy quest (ie the church sends you on it, or another church is backing it). This same rule applies for a cleric if they have the War Domain. For chivalric characters, as long as it's on behalf of the manor house or the church, they can carry it.

Unsheathing it, short of life and death battle, is another matter altogether.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2011, 08:33:15 PM »
So just to clarify.... The character is about to go on guard duty, he's sworn both his paladin oath and guard oath, he owns a longsword. But yet he is given an inferior weapon and told to have fun? How do they expect him to properly protect the town? Samething with adventuring, how is he supposed to do his job properly when he's not given allowed the correct tools?

Guard Duty: Yeah you need to stop that crazed guy with an axe, but you can only use your short spear or dagger, have fun!

Adventuring: Yep we need you to kill a dire boar that has been causing trouble about the countryside, bad news is you're only allowed to use your dagger to kill it. We'll prepare your things for your funeral, good luck!

???

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »
Mostly because that's the law for the whole country, but also because there's no actual need for it. If you require a sword, you're up against something major, like war itself. Most of the stuff you face off against are driving back animals like bears, or wild board.

If you absolutely need your sword, someone will be sent to the church if you're already engaged in battle, where they'd already be opening the vault after hearing the alarms.

On the other hand, if you're given your sword it could also be that you're being sent as a representative, and your weapon will show that you are who you claim to be.

There's a third oath you'd take as well for having your longsword. That it is not used against his royal highness, or any other noble. Pretty easy for a paladin to do, but considering he very nearly escaped a public assassination, and brought about this law afterwards, he can't really be blamed for it. Just like you can own a longbow and crossbow, but you're not likely going to be able to use it without permission. Someone who's supposed to be a commoner who has a longbow and arrows better have a good reason for having it. Especially given their status.

You guys are basically what you are class-wise in name only. Just because you have the basic training to wield such weapons does not therefore give you the right to carry them on you. Even a knight can not carry their sword openly in public without proper documentation, and he's a knight.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2011, 10:18:44 PM »
Honestly I'm beginning to think it might just be easier to play a Monk or Sleight of Hand Rogue.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2011, 10:19:40 PM »
Honestly I'm beginning to think it might just be easier to play a Monk or Sleight of Hand Rogue.
More so monk because a sleight of hand rogue, depending on what they're doing, can lose that hand.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2011, 10:26:07 PM »
Aye but a SoH Rogue doesn't have to worry that he's being gimped, due to the fact that the weapon he's trained best at using is carefully hidden on his person, with one of them being easily seen.

To me it just seems that the kingdom wouldn't last too long with the king purposely gimping the protector's of it's towns and cities. /shrug

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2011, 10:29:15 PM »
Aye but a SoH Rogue doesn't have to worry that he's being gimped, due to the fact that the weapon he's trained best at using is carefully hidden on his person, with one of them being easily seen.

To me it just seems that the kingdom wouldn't last too long with the king purposely gimping the protector's of it's towns and cities. /shrug
But the rogue can screw up on his SoH, and get spotted.

The kingdom's lasted this long so far.

You don't have to play if this no longer interests you with the rules I've set.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2011, 10:36:36 PM »
I'm still interested, don't get me wrong. I was just under the impression that guards and such would be fully trusted and allowed to use the best tools at their disposel to do their jobs.

After all, when weapons are out-lawed, only the outlaws will have weapons.  :p