Author Topic: Just Going to Put This Out There... PF/3.5 E6 or E8, for Fun  (Read 31649 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Just Going to Put This Out There... PF/3.5 E6 or E8, for Fun
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2011, 01:57:19 PM »
It does seem like we have one indeed. I'll wait a bit longer, but the thread's already been opened. I'll be working on that this week.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2011, 02:30:48 PM »
Also, I want to mention this as well. Because you guys are actually working, and not just random adventurers, your starting wealth will be different. Unfortunately the PFSRD doesn't have it listed, but basically an occupation is how you earn your keep, and you gain bonuses based off of that.

For example, if Mixster wanted, he could choose a "Marine background" for his bard because he's usually on a ship. Given how he wants to be a merchant of sorts, he could choose "merchant" or "seaman" as his occupation. Others include apprentice, arcane merchant, diplomat, fisherman, guide, and pirate.

Say he goes with Merchant. This is what he gets:
Merchant
The merchant is a buyer and seller of goods.
Alignment: Any (usually non-good)
Skills: Choose 2 of the following skills as permanent class skills: Appraise, Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Linguistics, Perception, Profession, Sense Motive. If a skill you select is already a class skill, you receive a +1 competence bonus on checks using that skill.
Bonus Feat: Persuasive
Starting Money: 3d4x10

For a bard, his bonus money is 1d4x10 added to his occupation's starting money.

BTW, if your occupation gives you a feat, that's a bonus feat.

And yes, there is a Scribe occupation.

This is all in the Tome of Secrets book. Not to mention a few more base classes like the Spellsword, Warlock (which does get its Eldritch Blast), and Warlord. You can easily find a copy of it.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2011, 06:50:49 PM »
There are now new options for all of the classes, and the new base classes from Ultimate Magic on the PRSRD.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2011, 07:20:58 PM »
I vote E8, but I'm fine is E6 however. E8 is just the perference.

This is also my first time doing either E6 or E8, but I understand the gist of it.

Also, referring to the Tome Books, are these actual third party books? Or collections of homebrew from forum contributers?
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2011, 07:22:39 PM »
I vote E8, but I'm fine is E6 however. E8 is just the perference.

This is also my first time doing either E6 or E8, but I understand the gist of it.

Also, referring to the Tome Books, are these actual third party books? Or collections of homebrew from forum contributers?
They're 3rd party supplements made specifically for PF. There is no homebrew in this campaign.

E6 and E8 is like regular D&D gaming, just you stop at a certain point.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2011, 07:45:54 PM »
Hmmm might need PDFs of them.

Edit: And which Pantheon will we be using? "Normal D&D"(Pelor and such)? Or Pathfinder's?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:50:03 PM by ShadowViper »
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2011, 08:13:47 PM »
Hmmm might need PDFs of them.

Edit: And which Pantheon will we be using? "Normal D&D"(Pelor and such)? Or Pathfinder's?
Pretty much everything you need, short of the occupations (Google "Tome of Secrets"), is on the PFSRD that I linked a couple of costs ago.

Edit: Pathfinder's Pantheon.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2011, 09:28:33 PM »
Are we going with the Pathfinder skill-lists or is it still 3.5?

I would personally perfer the combined skills of Pathfinder.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2011, 09:29:41 PM »

No, it's been decided that it'll be Pathfinder. In the end, it looks like we're going to have very little 3.5 flavor to the game. Likely I'll just keep the magic item creation rules because it's just too easy for items to end up being cursed.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2011, 06:08:12 AM »
Just to let you guys know, I'm pretty much ready. I started putting a couple of things up in the thread.

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2011, 07:23:38 AM »

No, it's been decided that it'll be Pathfinder. In the end, it looks like we're going to have very little 3.5 flavor to the game. Likely I'll just keep the magic item creation rules because it's just too easy for items to end up being cursed.

I'd rather we use the Pathfinder rules TBH. The 3.5 rules require you to have the spells needed to create the item (no scrolls or way to go around them) and they also cost XP to make.
I'd also suggest we stick to standard rules for armor. E6 is still low enough level for AC to matter.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2011, 12:56:49 PM »
I'd rather we use the Pathfinder rules TBH. The 3.5 rules require you to have the spells needed to create the item (no scrolls or way to go around them) and they also cost XP to make.
I'd also suggest we stick to standard rules for armor. E6 is still low enough level for AC to matter.
Well they don't cost XP any more. I changed that. It's 5x XP in gold instead. So if it costs 40 gp and 50 xp, it now costs 290 gp instead. And from what I see on the 3.5 rules, it says "although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed" just as PF says. If it's cheaper in the PRD, then we'll use that amount instead. I'm just not for the cursed side of things. It's always possible to roll a 1.
I was told that the DR rules was better for E6 because you're so low that you don't have the HP to back up the damage you'd take. I'll hold off on that rule, and get a majority vote as to what they want instead.

So, everyone. Is it a yes, or a no, to the armor variant for DR? It doesn't matter either way to me. Just means less math for me to do.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »
I've had good results with it in several e6 games.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2011, 03:55:09 PM »
You could always go with the other alternate option listed under that section of combining the DR option with the class defense option, thus giving people a choice of getting DR with armor or getting an ok AC but no DR without armor.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »
Not sure yet I'd have to review the rule. Would AC still matter? If we're adding DR to armor, so say your chain shirt would give like 4 AC and 1 DR, then yes I vote DR.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2011, 03:58:43 PM »
You could always go with the other alternate option listed under that section of combining the DR option with the class defense option, thus giving people a choice of getting DR with armor or getting an ok AC but no DR without armor.
I'm not going to be doing the defense thing. Just the first two options. I've had too many problems with that in the past with another game that specifically used Defense instead of AC.

Not sure yet I'd have to review the rule. Would AC still matter? If we're adding DR to armor, so say your chain shirt would give like 4 AC and 1 DR, then yes I vote DR.
More like +2 AC/2 DR for a chain shirt.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #176 on: May 15, 2011, 04:03:53 PM »
Reading the rule now, so far I like it and DR has my vote.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: May 15, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »
Sorry, I've never played with either of those alternate options. I'd be interested in giving the DR option a try. *shrug*

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »
Sorry, I've never played with either of those alternate options. I'd be interested in giving the DR option a try. *shrug*
No, it's alright. I was excited to do the Defense thing at the beginning when I first ran that campaign, but after a while it became a pretty big issue. Especially with PrCs that let you wear armor and have the defense bonus. It wasn't uncommon to have a PC with an AC of 70+ at 20th level. Your attack could get nowhere near that, and you had both monsters and PCs wishing they could constantly roll natural 20s.

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2011, 04:13:26 PM »
More like +2 AC/2 DR for a chain shirt.
One of my issues with the DR system is that it seems too little to matter. Full plate gives 4 DR, which isn't that much when a greatsword is 2d6+1.5xStr. I'd rather plan to succeed (be hit less often) that to fail less (be hit more often for a bit less).

Also, regarding the move through difficult terrain rule, is that in addition or instead of the standard way (pay 2x movement cost)?