Author Topic: Just Going to Put This Out There... PF/3.5 E6 or E8, for Fun  (Read 31707 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Just Going to Put This Out There... PF/3.5 E6 or E8, for Fun
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2011, 10:27:50 AM »
The pfsrd has a point buy table.
Yes it does. Thanks for that.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2011, 10:35:29 AM »
Will you allow words of creation? (BoED) (might be a tad high powered for your game, even though I'll only go to a max of +6 inspire courage with it) And/Or Song of the Heart (EBCS)?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2011, 11:50:56 AM »
My poor little plant man is going to be an ugly social reject.  :lol I just started working out his stats with the point buy and it is going to put me at a 6 charisma, as it is totally useless to me aside from intimidating things. Now I just need to figure out how I want to play it, probably the guy who screws up the sayings and is just a bit off and letting the ugly be the rest of it.

Kevin are we definitely doing E6 and not E8? I'm working on my build now and just need to know how far to look ahead.

Getting a bit further into development I'm looking at possibly putting a couple of ranks in Linguistics as we level, to learn more languages mostly (for my profession being able to read/write many languages is helpful). I'm also going to focus my knowledges on Nature and Religion but will try to put a rank in all of them that I have that deal with monsters to take advantage of my classes monster lore ability. Other skills would be survival and probably stealth.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2011, 12:14:42 PM »
I'm personally finding that while most PF classes come to decent capstones at 6th level, most of them are set almost perfectly at 8 (lots of class features getting a good boost, such as the Inquisitor's Second Judgement, wizard specialization abilities, and while alchemists don't get anything particularly interesting on the table, they have a lot of discoveries locked away until 8th level.

I'd cast my vote for E8, but that's just me.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »
right now I'm just trying to find good feats that are worth taking.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2011, 12:30:18 PM »
I'm personally finding that while most PF classes come to decent capstones at 6th level, most of them are set almost perfectly at 8 (lots of class features getting a good boost, such as the Inquisitor's Second Judgement, wizard specialization abilities, and while alchemists don't get anything particularly interesting on the table, they have a lot of discoveries locked away until 8th level.

I'd cast my vote for E8, but that's just me.

I'd also vote for E8 personally. Eidolon large size requires level 8. Also transposition and 3rd level spells :D

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2011, 08:21:44 PM »
Right now it's E6. If this campaign actually makes it to the point where you guys are level six, and doesn't just die off like other campaigns seem to around here, and you guys are still all here (still gunning for E8), then we'll probably go that route.

@ Melkior -- I'd rather not take those feats right now. That doesn't mean that they won't be allowed, but Words of Creation is something that you'd have to discover. If it comes up, and you discover it, then the feat's open. As for Song of the Heart, maybe around level 6 when the more PF type feats are a little exhausted. Right now, no, but I'm not married to that at this time.

@ archangel.arcanis -- Considering what your character's race looks like, Cha 6 isn't all that far from home. Hopefully your Diplomacy counters that negative.

If anyone's starving for skill points, which likely you are at first level without the x4 aspect of things, Open Minded's allowed.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2011, 09:08:37 PM »
What role is the party lacking at the momemt? Will help me decide on a class.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2011, 09:12:14 PM »
I'm not 100% sure as to what everyone's even taking. Some people are throwing around two or three ideas.

You guys correct me if I'm wrong, or add to it, but so far I think we've got an inquisitor, an alchemist, a ranger, possibly a fighter, and a bard? Maybe an oracle too? No one's coming from the church yet so we don't have a paladin, cleric, or priest character.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2011, 09:18:18 PM »
Likely a fighter type. It may be a monk.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »
Likely a fighter type. It may be a monk.
If you wanted to take monk, I'd allow the 3.5 variants that switch out some of the less usable things that they have (ie unarmed strike -magic), etc. They have alternate builds for still mind and other abilities that most players aren't too keen on. I'm not sure how the wyrmfang amulet cost's only 1350 gold, but it's a 3rd level Druid spell, so you'd be able to eventually buy it from somewhere, or have it manually built for you. Or an amulet of mighty fists +1 for 6000 gold.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2011, 10:17:06 PM »
Didn't we also have a summoner?

I'm leaning towards Paladin possilbly ranger, but as before, I'm cool with filling a needed role.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2011, 03:26:47 AM »
Yes we did. At least I'm pretty sure he's sticking to that.

Either one is fine. I know Ranger's been mentioned, but I don't think anyone's dedicated to that as of yet.

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2011, 03:56:40 AM »
Yes we did. At least I'm pretty sure he's sticking to that.

Either one is fine. I know Ranger's been mentioned, but I don't think anyone's dedicated to that as of yet.

Actually I think he was going to play an inquisitor, except he'll RP it like a ranger(man of the forest and all that).
From what I could gather, so far we have:

Summoner(me)
Inquisitor (archangel.arcanis)
Alchemist(VennDygrem)
Bard(Mixster)
Oracle(vilenatas)
Fighter type(McPoyo)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2011, 03:58:25 AM »
Actually I think he was going to play an inquisitor, except he'll RP it like a ranger(man of the forest and all that).
No, I mean I thought I read somewhere that someone was going to pick the ranger as a base class, but maybe that was just a fleeting thought from someone, and in the end they chose something else. Wouldn't be the first time.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2011, 04:32:15 AM »
We won't be starting for a while yet, but I'm going to put in the request for a thread regardless.

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2011, 06:28:18 AM »
Aye I was considering a ranger amoung other things, but now I'm leaning towards a paladin.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2011, 08:15:08 AM »
I've narrowed it down to either a Elf Generalist Wizard, a Gnome Dragon Shaman or a Dwarf Cleric.
But if we "need" a Cleric in the group, that makes things easier for me ;)
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2011, 12:39:49 PM »
I've narrowed it down to either a Elf Generalist Wizard, a Gnome Dragon Shaman or a Dwarf Cleric.
But if we "need" a Cleric in the group, that makes things easier for me ;)
While a cleric's nice, I'd consider being a priest. They're like a cloistered cleric. They get 6+Int skills, two domains spells instead of only one, they spontaneously domain cast instead of spontaneously cure, have all knowledge skills, are 1/2 BAB instead of 3/4, are d6 HD instead of d8, and channel 1d8 positive energy instead of only 1d6.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2011, 01:55:31 PM »
@ Melkior -- I'd rather not take those feats right now. That doesn't mean that they won't be allowed, but Words of Creation is something that you'd have to discover. If it comes up, and you discover it, then the feat's open. As for Song of the Heart, maybe around level 6 when the more PF type feats are a little exhausted. Right now, no, but I'm not married to that at this time.

Cool, that makes sense.

Seems we have a pretty well rounded party between the 6 of us.
I cast my Vote for E6, but E8 is okay with me.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out