Author Topic: Just Going to Put This Out There... PF/3.5 E6 or E8, for Fun  (Read 31702 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Just Going to Put This Out There... PF/3.5 E6 or E8, for Fun
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2011, 02:46:47 AM »
There might be alternate class features in later books to replace the mutagen, but what we could do for that is just have it a be your own version of fire water, or moonshine, which a super enraging kick. Also, check out the current ACFs for alchemist. You may like the human's ability to learn extra formulas, or the half-orcs extra bomb damage, or the gnome's ability to not only count as +1 CL for bomb damage, but also add additional bombs per day. All you have to do is make it your favored class.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2011, 04:10:59 AM »
Assuming my char can't/doesn't want to work his land himself, would it possible to lease it? As in find some people, let them work the land and in return get a part of the harvest?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2011, 05:06:11 AM »
For the alchemist, the mutagen only works for him, so I think you can treat it as the same kind of brew they used for holy rites in the past.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2011, 10:03:39 AM »
Assuming my char can't/doesn't want to work his land himself, would it possible to lease it? As in find some people, let them work the land and in return get a part of the harvest?
No, not really. For that to happen you'd have to have your own set of serfs, and a lot of land. You'd basically have enough land to support yourself, and maybe one other. By that I mean enough crops for a whole year. Most of the full farm land that's worked is run by the manor house, and the crops there feed everyone who works at the manor house, as well as everyone who tends to the land. If you were to lease it like that, your character would be near starvation every year.

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »
No, not really. For that to happen you'd have to have your own set of serfs, and a lot of land. You'd basically have enough land to support yourself, and maybe one other. By that I mean enough crops for a whole year. Most of the full farm land that's worked is run by the manor house, and the crops there feed everyone who works at the manor house, as well as everyone who tends to the land. If you were to lease it like that, your character would be near starvation every year.

I see. Then it's time for using the eidolon as a farming tool  :D

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2011, 10:20:25 AM »
If your Handle Animal's high enough, not to mention its intelligence, you could train it to do that, yeah. Come and Work would suffice.

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »
If your Handle Animal's high enough, not to mention its intelligence, you could train it to do that, yeah. Come and Work would suffice.

It's not necessary. The eidolon is an outsider with Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 11, so I could probably just talk to it.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2011, 10:29:49 AM »
It's not necessary. The eidolon is an outsider with Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 11, so I could probably just talk to it.
Fair enough. Might have to teach it what it needs to know too.

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »
Fair enough. Might have to teach it what it needs to know too.

I will, but my char is a pretty terrible farmer himself ;) That's one of the reasons he'd have to go adventuring probably (he doesn't make enough from farming to sustain both his lifestyle and pay the taxes, and the money he inherited from his father are about to run out.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »
I will, but my char is a pretty terrible farmer himself ;) That's one of the reasons he'd have to go adventuring probably (he doesn't make enough from farming to sustain both his lifestyle and pay the taxes, and the money he inherited from his father are about to run out.
What race were you thinking of going with? Elf of half-elf? I'd like to suggest half-elf just because they have a summoner ACF for the eidolon's evolution pool to grow (which you could take for four levels), but an elf has nothing.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2011, 10:49:22 AM »
Any problems with a character being a deputy in the village guard?
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2011, 11:03:25 AM »
What race were you thinking of going with? Elf of half-elf? I'd like to suggest half-elf just because they have a summoner ACF for the eidolon's evolution pool to grow (which you could take for four levels), but an elf has nothing.

I'm going with half-elf. Assuming this game goes to level 6 and beyond, there will be nothing more going for the eidolon, so I'll need all the evolution points I can get. Also, can you choose which favored class reward at each level, or you pick one and go with it for your whole career?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2011, 11:33:43 AM »
Any problems with a character being a deputy in the village guard?
None whatsoever. Your character will have to swear an oath, but that's standard to be part of the guard. Basically you understand the consequences of breaching the trust of others by committing treason, etc, etc, call to arms during battle, etc, etc.

I'm going with half-elf. Assuming this game goes to level 6 and beyond, there will be nothing more going for the eidolon, so I'll need all the evolution points I can get. Also, can you choose which favored class reward at each level, or you pick one and go with it for your whole career?
You can choose each level. It's +1 hp, +1 skill rank, or an ACF. That's off of the top of my head.

For anyone wondering, the campaign would start in Spring, and you'd be attending the annual festival. Everyone who's adventured before knows that that's the best place to go to find people who are looking for workers. Anything from helping a village out with boar to stolen items to exploration of ruins. Every year is different, and can take you farther away from home for a longer period of time.
During the festival, however, you can drink and be merry, and maybe even engage in a few of the local activities like archery contests, drinking contests, sparring tournaments, etc.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
Well I'm going to be a plant man aspiring to be a bounty hunter and has a thing for wanting to blast the crap out of undead (worshiping a sun god often does that). Class will be inquisitor though I'll probably play a bit like a ranger/cleric hybrid with a fair bit of melee. I'll likely make it a point to keep at least one healing spell known, unless someone else in the group becomes an insane healer, but it definitely won't be my focus just enough to keep us from getting trashed too bad.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

LordBlades

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2011, 02:22:27 PM »
Well I'm going to be a plant man aspiring to be a bounty hunter and has a thing for wanting to blast the crap out of undead (worshiping a sun god often does that). Class will be inquisitor though I'll probably play a bit like a ranger/cleric hybrid with a fair bit of melee. I'll likely make it a point to keep at least one healing spell known, unless someone else in the group becomes an insane healer, but it definitely won't be my focus just enough to keep us from getting trashed too bad.

I'm not going to be much of a healer sadly, but I am going to have a pretty good UMD score, so I could use a wand/scroll in need. Btw. are we limited to Pathfinder spells, or can we also get 3.5 ones (assuming they weren't updated in Pathfinder)? I'm thinking specifically about Lesser Vigor atm.

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »
So the character I have in mind is an oracle style character whose father was a performer(lute, singing, poetry etc) and she was training as a performer but due to being haunted has been driven out of Abriel (where she was born) and after running away from her parents has ended up in Ardis and is currently living/apprenticing(in alchemy anyway) with a blind witch outside of town (the witch isn't afraid of her).  She will take the cure spells known path for the oracle, so will have cure spells known.  I haven't figured out the mystery, but am intrigued by a homebrew one on the paizo boards Passion.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »
I'm probably going to do something along these lines:

Half Elf Sea Singer bard.
Arcane Training.
Traits: Heirloom Weapon (Elven Thinblade), Elven Reflexes.
Skills (focusing on these): Perform (oratory or act), Diplomacy, Bluff, Knowledge (Geography and Local) and Use Magic Device.
Combat Role: I'll probably be throwing daggers or shooting with a crossbow (probably just a light crossbow kept and fired one handed to get that piratey feel) at range, and stabbing things with my Elven thinblade when they close up. I'd mostly be support though.

Description: A parrot on his soldier and a bottle of booze in his hand, this man looks like a pirate. His clothing would be beautiful if newly washed, and his look is stunning. The smile from his lips seems almost mesmerising. When he speaks, everybody seems to listen as his tales weave interesting stories, this man clearly has a flair for the dramatic, but he also seems like a splendid swordsman.

(so all in all a swashbuckler more focused on being a lady's man than a fighter type)

By the way, would you allow me to get both the Parrot Familiar and Versatile Perfomance if I traded in something else? What would that have to be? Sea legs, lore Master at 6th?
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

ShadowViper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2011, 07:53:15 PM »
Might go with a woodsy type character, Druid, Barbarian or Ranger, or a town militia-man/guardsman, fighter paladin and possibly cavalier(sp). But I'm still open to feeling needs in party role.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »
@ LordBlades -- I'd prefer staying to PF, but this is PF/3.5 so SpC will be allowed.

@ vilenatas -- So I have a blind witch living outside of the town of Arbis teaching alchemy, do I? And you're intrigued by homebrew.

@ Mixster -- Fine with the Sea Singing bit, but not so much the pirate part. Especially the sword, throwing daggers, and crossbow aspect of it. At current, you'd be considered an outlaw by most of the continent. Remember, a sword is considered a chivalric weapon. Only knights and nobility can have them, and can only wear them under certain circumstances.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2011, 09:18:36 PM »
BTW, I've got a lot more free time on my hands with being out of a job. The city's in a panic because the dyke looks like it's ready to go. A mandatory evacuation was made.