Author Topic: Weird Campaign Idea  (Read 1656 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Weird Campaign Idea
« on: May 08, 2011, 05:03:16 PM »
I'm not sure what system I'd use for this, so...

I got the idea from watching Shakugan no Shana and Eden of the East in the same day.

Essentially, each player has the same end to their backstory; they were murdered. More specifically, with a knife.

They wake up in a room, and are informed that they were selected to be save the country they lived in. To this effect, they are alloted fortnight of perceived time, exactly, starting when they leave that room.

If this time runs out, they never existed. If they are killed, their time is halved, and they are returned to life.

They can manipulate time at will, doing crazy crap like stopping it for people in the area, reversing it, seeing the future or the past. However, since time is consumed at the rate they are perceiving it, going back 12 minutes consumes 12 minutes of your time.

Thy can transfer time over to someone else, in which case, two things happen:
1. If they had "time" before, they have the amount you transfer added to their total.
2. If they didn't have "time" before, they now have the amount of time you gave them before they die of apparently natural causes.

You have to be in physical contact to transfer time.

Then you are let go.

What system should I use? I'm familiar with Risus, 1st and 3rd edition DnD, BESM 3rd edition, passingly familiar with Mutants and Masterminds, and could learn Gurps and Fudge in no time at all.

So who would play this crazy idea?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Weird Campaign Idea
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 05:28:49 PM »
I'd suggest savage worlds, honestly. Just throwing that out as a possibility for whomever wants to play.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:13:59 AM »
D&D and M&M are probably right out for the kind of atmosphere you want.
I'd suggest FATE personally, or one of it's variants.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:29:45 PM »
I will take a look at FATE, then.

Alright, who would want to play this?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 05:59:59 AM »
Continuum, Role-Playing in the Yet has some interesting rules for time travel games.  Not a great system, but fascinating look at time travel.

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive