Author Topic: Sword Forms in d20  (Read 1388 times)

HeronMarkedBlade

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Sword Forms in d20
« on: May 06, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
I'm a fan of Jordan's WoT books, less as an example of great literature and more as an example of effective world creation.  I played the WoT RPG when it came out, but recently I've been working on a homebrew campaign setting of my own devising.  One thing I loved from the books was his description of sword combat, and I've been thinking of ways to adapt that for d20 D&D.  I considered using ToB wholesale at one point, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for as far as the martial adept classes or the effects of the maneuvers. 

My inspiration for the current implementation of sword forms came from SW Saga's Force Powers.  Martial maneuvers in my campaign world are activated by a Concentration skill check, and are acquired through the Combat Training feat which grants 1+Wis modifier maneuvers each time the feat is taken.

I'd like to hear what you guys think about them, but I'm not sure what I can post or not.  Here's an example of a stance (lasts for the entire encounter or 1 minute outside of combat) and a sword form:

[spoiler]Cat Crosses the Courtyard (Stance)
You walk in a relaxed, almost arrogant, saunter that radiates an image of a skilled warrior, one at ease and in complete self-control.  Your movement in this stance leaves you at almost all points in a favorable position for combat.
Time: 1 swift action. Target: You.
Make a Concentration check. The result of the check determines the result, if any.
    DC 15: You gain a +2 bonus to all uses of the Intimidate skill and to your initiative checks while under the effects of this stance.
    DC 20: As DC 15, but your bonuses increase to +3.
    DC 25: As DC 15, but your bonuses increase to +4.

Bundling Straw
Time: 1 standard action. Target: One enemy within your reach.
Make a Concentration check. The result of the check determines the result, if any.
    DC 20: You can make two melee attacks against a single target.  Each of these attacks is made at a -5 penalty.
    DC 25: As DC 20, except the attacks are made at a -3 penalty.
    DC 30: As DC 20, except the attacks are made at a -1 penalty.
    DC 35: As DC 20, except the attacks suffer no penalty.
Special: If you have the Desert Wind feat, you can move up to 2 squares before or after you use this form.  This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Sword Forms in d20
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

HeronMarkedBlade

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 03:27:13 PM »
Thanks, archangel.arcanis!

A few more background thoughts:
1. I wanted something modular in nature, and rather than make form "chains" based on the level of each effect (potentially making forms irrelevant at higher levels), I liked the scaling mechanic based on a skill check. 
2. Concentration is a critical skill of any fighter I've known, and I've always hated that Concentration is only relevant to spellcasters in 3E.  This was a way of tying the skill to the fighter's combat ability.
3. I tried to keep them balanced enough that a fighter with sword forms didn't blow everyone else out of the water, but did allow him more control over combat.

[spoiler]River Undercuts the Bank

Time: Reaction (when an adjacent opponent makes a melee attack against you). Target: You plus one enemy within your reach.
Make a Concentration check. Compare the result of your Concentration check against the attack roll of the incoming attack.  If your Concentration check equals or exceeds the incoming attack roll, the attack deals half damage on a hit.  You can then make an immediate 5-foot adjustment to any other square adjacent to your attacker and make a single melee attack against him.  This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity from your target.

Swallow Takes Flight
You spring across the battlefield, using your focus and ability to act quickly to attack after moving. 
Time: 1 full-round action. Target: You.
    DC 20: You may move up to double your speed and make a single attack at your highest attack bonus at any point during your movement.
    DC 25: As DC 20, but you may make two attacks at your highest attack bonus. You cannot attack a single enemy more than once with this maneuver.
    DC 30: As DC 20, but you may make three attacks at your highest attack bonus.  You cannot attack a single enemy more than once with this maneuver.
Special: If you have the Desert Wind feat, you a +10 bonus to your movement for the purpose of this maneuver.

Tower of Morning
You stand tall in combat, balancing attack and defense.
Time: 1 full-round action. Target: You.
    DC 20: As part of this maneuver, make a single attack.  Until the beginning of your next turn, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC.
    DC 25: As DC 15, but the dodge bonus increases to +3.
    DC 30: As DC 15, but the dodge bonus increases to +4.
Special: If you have the Diamond Mind feat, you gain a +1 bonus on the attack made as part of this maneuver.
[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 08:29:55 PM »
Very interesting mechanics. This is quite promising.

HeronMarkedBlade

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:12:13 PM »
Very interesting mechanics. This is quite promising.

Thanks, bkdubs123!  It's a bit of a mish-mash from a number of sources, but I think it works pretty well.  The only problem is that I don't have anyone in my current group who's playing a fighter, so I haven't been able to playtest it the way I'd like to.  Here's what I've written up in my homebrew campaign document, modified from ToB maneuvers and SW Saga Force powers.

[spoiler]Sword FormsMartial maneuvers, often called sword forms, are special abilities available to anyone who takes the Combat Training feat.  A character who takes the Combat Training feat automatically learns a number of martial maneuvers of his choice equal to 1 + his Wisdom modifier (minimum 1).  A character can learn additional martial maneuvers by taking the Combat Training feat again or by increasing his Wisdom modifier.
When your character uses a martial maneuver, make a Concentration check.  The check determines the maneuver's effect.
Some maneuvers have all-or-nothing effects.  Other maneuvers have multi-tiered effects, and your Concentration check result determines the maximum effect you can achieve, although you can always choose a lesser effect.  If your Concentration check is too low to activate the maneuver's baseline effect, nothing happens and the action is wasted.
Using a maneuver removes it from your character's active "suite" of maneuvers, regardless of whether the Concentration skill check succeeds or fails.
Your Martial Maneuver Suite: Your character's martial maneuvers collectively form a suite.  When your character uses a maneuver, it's like playing a card and putting it in a discard pile.  The maneuver takes effect, and it's no longer available to the character...at least for a while.
Regaining Martial Maneuvers:CONCENTRATIONRESOLVING A MANEUVER OR STANCERECOVERING EXPENDED MANEUVERSNatural 20: Any time you roll a natural 20 on your Concentration check to initiate a maneuver, the maneuver is not expended as usual but remains in your suite.
Special Action: A fighter can recover one of his expended maneuvers by spending an action point as a reaction.  That maneuver is immediately added back to the fighter's maneuver suite.
End of the Encounter:INITIATING MANEUVERS
To initiate a maneuver, you must be able to move. You do not need to be able to speak. You initiate a maneuver by taking the specified initiation action. A maneuver might require an immediate, swift, move, standard, or full-round action to initiate. The process of initiating a maneuver is similar to that of casting a spell or manifesting a psionic power, although there are some key differences (see below). You can only choose to initiate a maneuver that is currently unexpended.
Some maneuvers have the (Stance) descriptor.  When you initiate a stance, you gain its benefit the remainder of the encounter or until you change to another stance you know. You can remain in some stances outside of combat situations for one minute per fighter level, after which time you regain that stance as normal (by resting for 1 minute, spending an action point, or regaining it in some other prescribed manner).

Maneuver Name (Descriptor)
If a maneuver has a descriptor, it appears in square brackets after the maneuver's name.  The name of the maneuver is followed by a brief description of the maneuver's effect.  Time: The type of action needed to use or activate the maneuver. Target: The targets affected by the maneuver.
    Make a Concentration check. The results of the Concentration check are described here.
    Special: Some maneuvers have special rules, which are covered here.

[/spoiler]