Author Topic: I don't know what to play, any help deciding?  (Read 3084 times)

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
I don't know what to play, any help deciding?
« on: May 04, 2011, 12:44:38 PM »
I am going to try to join a Pbp game whith some houserules; the game is converted version of the 4e module "Revenge of  the Giants"

The houserules in question:
I have to select one of this arrays for Stats
Set One: 16, 14, 14, 11, 10, 10.
Set Two: 18, 14, 11, 11, 10, 8.
Set Three: 16, 16, 12, 11, 11, 8.

1. List of Banned Classes: Archivist, Ardent, Artificer, Beguiler, Cleric, Divine Mind, Dread Necromancer, Druid, Lurk, Favored Soul, Healer, Psion, Shaman, Shadowcaster, Sorcerer, Spirit Shaman, Warmage, Wilder, Wizard Wu jen.

2. Regular Classes: Bard, Binder, Crusader, Dragonfire Adept, Duskblade, Factotum, Psychic Warrior, Swordsage, Truenamer, Warblade, Warlock

3. Special Classes: Adept, Barbarian, Dragon Shaman, Fighter, Hexblade, Incarnate, Knight, Marshall, Monk, Ninja, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Samurai, Scout, Spellthief, Sohei, Soulborn, Soulknife, Swashbuckler, Totemist.

Explanation:
The classes on the Banned list are not available for play.
If you play a class on the Regular list then it's played as normal rules. You can play it straight through, or multi-class with any class on the Regular or Special list.
If you play a class from the Special list then you can Gestalt with another class on the Special list. You may not Gestalt with a class on the Regular list. In no circumstances is a class on the Regular list allowed to be Gestalt.

Second Wind
Each character has a Second Wind that they can use 1/encounter to heal 1/4 of their Hit Points. Using a Second Wind takes a swift action.

After Combat Healing
After a fight is over and the party has time to take a short rest (loosely defined in Tome of Battle as 5 minutes) then everyone heals up to full Hit Points.

That's it. Let's rock and roll. This is going to be a challenge. For the party, that is.

I was thinking on either a Barbarian/Ranger/Warblade/Swordsage mesh  or a gish build (Psychic Warrior or Bard Based) but I am not sure.

So Suggestions?

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: I don't know what to play, any help deciding?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 02:09:59 PM »
Go gestalt.

I've been wanting to try a barbarian/frenzied berserker // scout, and go for a pouncer w lion totem

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:14:13 PM »
A totemist//rogue might be nice. Think of all the natural attacks...
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »
Hmm seems even with weak-ish classes, Gestalt is too tempting; perhaps I should reconsider it more.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 02:31:59 PM »
Psychic warrior can be amazing, if you know what you're doing. Otherwise, yeah, gestalt.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 03:48:08 PM »
Hmm seems even with weak-ish classes, Gestalt is too tempting; perhaps I should reconsider it more.

Yeah, even Sohei|Soulborn could be potent. Full bab, evasion, mettle, frenzy or spells. The scout|ranger focusing on giant killing seems tough to beat though...

Nemo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 06:12:39 PM »
Wildshape Mystic Ranger with that arcane-hunting acf and Nemesis feat\\Totemist?

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 06:19:57 PM »
Wild Shape Ranger + Master of Many Forms / Scout

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 07:36:48 PM »
Scout//Totemist, for a  very effective manticore belt skirmisher.

Amadi

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 07:41:16 PM »
The Gestalt is pretty much the way to go. I mean, sure, it's not as good as some of the best classes solo, with the options you're given. Then again, the best classes are pretty much banned. And hey, nothing said about prestige classes. *Cough* Chameleon or something *Cough*.

Even assuming that all prestige classes are banned, I'd probably go gestalt. Rogue // Incarnate for skillmonkeyness, Dragon Shaman/Marshal//Whatever for leadership. You've got a lot of options, and most of them should hold up to the regulars just fine. And Gestalting is fun.

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:58 PM »
Barbarian || Totemist would be amazing really.  All of those natural attacks, and you wouldn't even have to go Lion Totem if you didn't want to, since Totemist can easily get pounce.

Soulknife / Soulbow || Ranger / Scout (Swift Hunter) could be quite potent as well.  Choose a race like Jermlaine (+6 DEX & WIS), Zen Archery, a Monk's Belt, and you'll be set.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

• Email
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 07:54:08 PM »
The most powerful build I can come up with is based on bard. I would go something like:

Bard 6/Human Paragon 3/Virtuoso 1/Sublime Cord 2/Virtuoso +8

With the right feats, that build should blast you straight into the realms of tier 2, which is better than any of the possible gestalt combos available. Hell, I would even dip a level into Marshall for the Motivate Charisma aura. Choose Silverbrow Human for cheaper Dragonfire Inspiration win.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 08:04:11 PM »
Truenamer//monk :lmao

You could also consider:
Feat Rogue 1/Sneak Attack Hit-And-Run Fighter 1/Swashbuckler 2/Feat Rogue +1/Assassin 1/Feat Rogue +14//Ranger 1/Scout 3/Pouncing Barbarian 1/Scout +1/Ranger +15

Take Daring Outlaw and Swift Hunter. And then hope that your DM doesn't send a bunch of things that are Immune to precision damage against you, but you would deal a lot of damage with for example two Kusari-Gamas.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 10:51:50 PM »
Which Truenamer fix is he using?
BG's other resident furry!

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 01:11:04 AM »
Sorry guys for not answering before; I am currently in a Cram School for university and just now got home.

I still haven't decided (got till this Saturday, so I probably should choose soon); I though a bit and I was considering some sort of Suel Arcanamach and at first I was thinking on a Duskblade/Warblade (or Crusader) build and advancing Suel casting with Jade Phoenix mage.

But now I am considering scraping ToB and do something like Ranger 6/Suel Arcanamach 4/ Abjurant Champion 2// Feat Rogue 2/Sneak Attack fighter 3/Feat rogue +7. And really bringing the hurt with TWF+Sneak Attack (handy Grave/vine/golemstrike wand for immunes)+Arcane strike.

Now this is all assuming Suel Arcanamach is on the table (asked on the thread but still awaiting answer); concerning the Sublime Chord build, I am pretty sure it will be banned considering all tier 2 and up classes are banned.

And for the Truenamer Fix I am not sure, this game is on Giantitp and the most famous ones there areKyeudo and Kellus; but I am not really sure.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 02:30:18 AM »
Ok I was allowed to go Suel Arcanamach; but as a Regular class, so no gestalting for me. I don't really care

The idea is a TWF gish; I plan to increase my Damage output with a combination of Arcane Strike, Dragonfire Strike and PA (Dragonsplits are one-handed weapons which count as light for the purposes of TWF so I can power attack and get a 1:2 ratio on attack penalty to damage). Accuracy I have almost full bab and Wraithstrike is available so I am not too worried.

Race: Silverbrow Human
Build Progression: Ranger 2/Thug Sneak Attack Fighter 1/Duskblade 2/Warblade 1/Suel Arcanamach 4/Abjurant Champion 2

Otyugh Hole: Iron Will
1   EWP: Dragonsplits
2 Ranger: Two-weapon fighting
H Power Attack
3 Dragonfire Strike
5 Duskblade: Combat Casting
6 Somatic Weaponry
9 Arcane Strike
12 Minor Shape Shift

So what do you think?

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 06:14:23 AM »
Hmm.

Starting at level 12 --> Chameleon

A Ranger/Incarnate would be quite powerful.
Probably much better than the above build.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870566/Incarnate_by_the_numbers
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=365.msg7190#msg7190

Best,
David
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 06:20:14 AM by DavidWL »
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive