Author Topic: PF's Psionics Ruleset Released  (Read 4890 times)

Ivory Knight

• Curious George
Re: PF's Psionics Ruleset Released
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 06:08:52 AM »
I found out they gimped Metamorphosis(it lokks, like it will be easier to use and less abuseable, but certainly is less useful).
That's to match up with PF's polymorph rules. Note that they also introduced feats which auto-quicken it.

I know, but still:
Getting supernatural abilities from the creature I transform into from 1 feat(Metamorphic Transfer) was way better and useful in more circumstances, than autoquicken a power for 2 otherwise useless feats.

Pathfinder always looked to me, like the most expansive and expensive set of houserules for D&D, i've ever seen.
The Psionics Update fits nicely with ths stuff from Paizo, it just happens to not fit with some kinds of character I usually enjoy playing.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
Eh, metamorphosis was the strongest power other than affinity field + shenanigans a psion could ever take.

Toning it down wasn't really an issue.

PF has a lot of houserules, but most of them don't do much.  The fighter is still T5, maybe T4, the wizard is still T1, just with slightly less cheese... when I read over the rules, it didn't seem like it was worth the headaches of learning their tweaks and changes and new subsystems in order to play a game that was functionally identical to 3.5 but with more little fobbly bits and a bit less customizability.

Plus it looked like I wouldn't be able to run monsters straight out of the MM on the fly anymore, i'd have to convert first, which is just a pain in the ass.

EDIT:  That said, there's a bunch of pathfinder society guys who run games and I know a few of the regular DMs are great DMs (why they're running canned modules for strangers I do not know), if PF has auth'd this psi stuff for pathsociety use, i've wanted to play a low level shaper for ever so long.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 08:19:56 AM by Rejakor »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 03:10:12 PM »
Plus it looked like I wouldn't be able to run monsters straight out of the MM on the fly anymore, i'd have to convert first, which is just a pain in the ass.
First hand experience says that for most purposes, old monsters work just the same as new ones. Using a couple of 3.5 critters wasn't noticeable for the most part(other than having to recalculate CMB and CMD, skills have the same DCs in general).

Not that the PFRD doesn't have enough monsters. Theres everything in the first and second Beastiaries. My main complaint DM side is that some creatures are left unstatted with "X creature advanced with Y template" as the only stats. That was when I just dipped into the 3.5 equivalents. Nobody really noticed.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 05:13:04 PM »
My god, shaper!  Shaper/Metamind anyone?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
Infinite Creation of X.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 05:19:35 AM »
Infinite Creation of X.
I know... it's like, let's take the best two 1st-level powers in the game, and let Shapers manifest them at-will completely free of charge.  HUH?

The Metamind buff makes the class playable without Temporal Reiteration cheese for permanent infinite PP, as well.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 01:27:49 AM »
Well the 'best' uses are still DM restricted about how complex an item you can create(namely the enormous dose of poison). Should have put a cap on that spell/power really, restricting DC(use spell/power DC for anything produced) and damage(cap maximum neg levels/ability damage/ability drain/straight damage) resulting from created stuff.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]