Author Topic: Creating 'Legendary Fighter', competition, are there prizes?  (Read 75040 times)

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
Re: Creating 'Legendary Fighter', competition, are there prizes?
« Reply #320 on: July 10, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »
There are no rules for dismemberment outside of Vorpal weapon and the Hydra.

Even if the monk's fists were the only thing enchanted with throwing, it would still work. The only thing that wouldn't work is the ghost touch tricks. Simple logic dictates that the body must follow the fists, because you can't be dismembered unless there's a vorpal weapon or you're a Hydra (or a few other creatures). There is no 'slowing down' of the fists, the range increment is set and doesn't obey physics.

Discuss.

Logic, but not the rules. The monk is not dismembered, however his foot is now 100' away and by lack of dismemberment still attached. He's stretchy!

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #321 on: July 10, 2011, 07:25:07 PM »

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #322 on: July 10, 2011, 07:29:42 PM »
Since his whole body is an unarmed strike, can he just throw his entire body to where he wants?
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: July 10, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »
PS: Giacomo, we aren't 'monk-haters,' considering some of the 'monk-haters' made a better monk than you've ever made. We're 'you-haters.'
I've never made a monk before, though I can't speak for S&M830. I just know how to play with the rules.

Since his whole body is an unarmed strike, can he just throw his entire body to where he wants?
That's what he I said.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Sir Giacomo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #324 on: July 10, 2011, 07:57:29 PM »
PS: Giacomo, we aren't 'monk-haters,' considering some of the 'monk-haters' made a better monk than you've ever made. We're 'you-haters.'
I've never made a monk before, though I can't speak for S&M830. I just know how to play with the rules.

:lol That is a good one. Lycanthromancer, please.
This thread is full of your mistakes. Metamorphosing psychic warriors at level 12 etc. (you even admitted some more of your mistakes that I pointed out above).
And also @Talore:
Wishful thinking when interpreting RAW does not a good monk build make. You guys heap ridicule on monks and those who try to make builds with them (like me) whenever possible. And now you maintain someone comes along with an illegal trick to do a "better monk than I have ever made"? Check out my two monk builds above. Even they are better than the weapon enhancement shenanigans by snakeman830 at level 12.
And...point out to me a DM who would rather accept colossal+ damage coming from a +5000 gp weapon enhancement than from a feat and a 12,000 gp custom item. (apart from the obvious RAW issues that I pointed out, I mean)

- Giacomo

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #325 on: July 10, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »

:lol That is a good one. Lycanthromancer, please.
This thread is full of your mistakes. Metamorphosing psychic warriors at level 12 etc. (you even admitted some more of your mistakes that I pointed out above).
And also @Talore:
Wishful thinking when interpreting RAW does not a good monk build make. You guys heap ridicule on monks and those who try to make builds with them (like me) whenever possible. And now you maintain someone comes along with an illegal trick to do a "better monk than I have ever made"? Check out my two monk builds above. Even they are better than the weapon enhancement shenanigans by snakeman830 at level 12.
And...point out to me a DM who would rather accept colossal+ damage coming from a +5000 gp weapon enhancement than from a feat and a 12,000 gp custom item. (apart from the obvious RAW issues that I pointed out, I mean)

- Giacomo
Hey, everyone makes mistakes. At least I own up to them, unlike some sock puppets people around here.

Also, a lot of the 'mistakes' you pointed out were only pointed out because you apparently can't read.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:51:27 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #326 on: July 10, 2011, 09:00:50 PM »

- Giacomo
Me. Well that was a short search, wasn't it?  ;)

Way I figure it you're going to spend all that wealth by level on something. So, as I've come to understand it if you're going to play a shitty class, monk for example, accepting that WBL is something that is going to be brought into play a lot more signifigantly than if you're playing even something like a Crusader, Dread Necromancer. I'd rather you spend your feats on things you can't buy and get a char that is more capable of survining/contributing.
Fluffwise, I find it more reasonable that you have a magic belt that tells makes you giant, than you've somehow unlocked the sercrets of ginormousness, though being an extremely devout monk.

Though I admit... I wouldn't begrudge you the second one at all, if thats the character concept you wanted to really play:
I.e. (one of the main secrets of ginormouness being reach btw)

\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #327 on: July 11, 2011, 12:00:36 AM »
The only good monk is a monk who turns into a bear

half-orc paragon3/monk6/bearwarrior5

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #328 on: July 11, 2011, 02:25:01 AM »
First off, I'd love to see this argument for the whole a monk's fists are a magic weapon therefore his whole body is one argument.  The relevant section from the SRD is: 
Quote from: SRD
I fail to see how anything in there implies that a Monk can make an attack w/ their liver, spleen, eyeballs, etc.  Furthermore, I  do not understand where the Monk is different in this regard from anyone w/ Improved Unarmed Strike.  Although Improved Unarmed Strike is spelled out in more detail in the SRD under the Monk's Unarmed Strike ability, I thought they were the same, and that this was cleared up in some Rules of the Game somewhere, e.g., you can unarmed attack while wielding a two-handed sword. 

Way I figure it you're going to spend all that wealth by level on something. So, as I've come to understand it if you're going to play a shitty class, monk for example, accepting that WBL is something that is going to be brought into play a lot more signifigantly than if you're playing even something like a Crusader, Dread Necromancer. I'd rather you spend your feats on things you can't buy and get a char that is more capable of survining/contributing.
I feel like the bolded section captures the real argument at play here, which is that Monks generally suck, or that various melee characters in various ways suck, or whatever.  Which means that they need/are entitled to/it would be really sweet of us and they'd be our best friends if we gave them a very generous, some (like me, and I'm a pretty generous DM) might say absurd, interpretation of the rules. 

But, whatever, I get the point of the build.  Cute.  Kind of doesn't really matter that it's a Monk, as I've stated before.  It hinges on exactly 1 debatable ability the Monk gets, this Unarmed Strike ability.  So, all that is required is a 1 level dip into Monk to get it.  Earlier in this thread, long before Dalsim and M. Bison made their entrances, there was a lot of talk about if you're going to argue that X is a good class, you need to actually use, to some debatable degree, the ability of Class X. 

To wit: 
The point is to get the bulk of your power from your class race, NOT your items.
So while bracers of archery, or even Ki straps, would be allowed, anything more powerful
your standard "I buff my melee powers with this" are kinda out.
(Not to say you can't buy lots of potions, or healing belts, or whatever 24 attument rule in effect)

All I've heard about from this build is a single ability gained at level 1.  So, it hardly does much to rehabilitate or support the class.  Further, this build, as far as I understand it, seems to revolve around exploiting the magic item rules. 

I'd make the humble suggestion that we move on from this build at some point in the near future, but that's just one man's preference.  And, I acknowledge that I'm kind of cheating since I did totally comment on the build in this post. 

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #329 on: July 11, 2011, 02:51:18 AM »
I fail to see how anything in there implies that a Monk can make an attack w/ their liver, spleen, eyeballs, etc.
Chuck Norric can punch people with his beard.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #330 on: July 11, 2011, 03:43:00 AM »
I fail to see how anything in there implies that a Monk can make an attack w/ their liver, spleen, eyeballs, etc.
Chuck Norric can punch people with his beard.
I thought he just had a third fist instead of a chin.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #331 on: July 11, 2011, 03:52:56 AM »
I don't want to make a homebrew thread for this, so I'll just leave my tier 3 monk fix here.

[spoiler]
Transcendent Monk
All of these abilities are in addition to the standard monk abilities

Mastery of Buddhism(ex)
"I've mastered Buddhism, so those tricks don't work on me!"
At second level, a monk gains a fire breath weapon which he can use as an immediate action.  It deals d4 damage per level of monk. This breath weapon may be used in the form of a cone 5' long for each monk level, or as a 10' wide line 10' long for each monk level.  Although damage is progressed by prestige classes that advance unarmed attack damage, delay periods and range are not.

When initally obtained, this breath weapon has a delay of d20 rounds between uses, however this cooldown period decreases with your monk level
4: d12 rounds
6: d10 rounds
8: d8 rounds. 
10: d6 rounds
12: d4 rounds
14: d2 rounds
16: 1 round. 
20: The cooldown period is reduced to 0 rounds.  You may use this ability every round.

Meditation(ex)
"Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
At third level, a monk learns the first secrets of meditation.  While in the lotus posistion, a monk may levitate, as with the levitate spell, with their monk level as their caster level.  They can still use their arms while in the lotus position, but abilities that rely upon foot contact (such as kicking) are right out.
At fifth level, in addition to the 20' up or down provided by levitation a monk may also move 20'/round horizontally.
At seventh level, the horizontal distance increases to half the monk's land speed.
At ninth level, a monk in the lotus posistion gains a perfect flyspeed equal to half his landspeed.
At eleventh level, the fly speed is now equal to his total landspeed.
At fifteenth level, the fly speed is now equal to twice his total landspeed.

Truly Abundant Steps (su)
"Bamf Bamf Bamf"
Beginning at level 8, a monk may mix teleportation into their movements.  A monk may choose to teleport 10' as part of any move action, not counting this distance against their movement speed.  Each additional level of monk adds another 10' teleport.  These can either be combined (to allow a single teleport of 20' at level 9) or separate (allowing a level nine monk to teleport 10', move their full land speed, and then teleport another 10').

Meditative Recovery(ex)
"nomnom"
At seventh level, a monk gains fast healing equal to half his monk level while meditating.
At seventeenth level, this fast healing turns into regeneration/magic and chaos.

Tank Supernovas(su)
"Why not?"
At level 10, once per round a monk may choose to take a hit for any ally within range of his Really Abundant Steps.  For strictly damaging effects, the monk simply takes half the damage the ally would have taken.  (Immunities to damage types still apply, but only the better resistance is calculated in.) For nondamaging ongoing effects, the monk takes an amount of damage equal to the CR of the encounter, which cannot be reduced through any means.  In either case, the ally completely ignores the condition for that round. 
At level 15, the monk may do this for as many allies as he likes for a single condition.  Yes, if the entire party is next to a supernova and you have a monk, everyone else takes no damage that round.
At level 20, the monk may do this as many times per round as he pleases.

Disrupt Balance(ex)
"Your power pains the universe."
At twelfth level, opponents in the process of using a supernatural ability who are damaged by you (such as with a readied action, or Mastery Of Buddhism) must make a concentration check to avoid losing it as if they were using a spell or spell-like ability.

Scorn The Material(su)
"The love of the material is the root of all evil"
At sixteenth level, a monk may, as a free action on their turn, change between being corporeal and incorporeal at will.  Unlike normal incorporeality, anything that passes through the monk is disintegrated, as the spell, with a caster level equal to the monk's character level.

Third Eye of Balance(ex)
"Let the scales level"
At eighteenth level, the transcendent monk gains a formidible insight into the workings of the world.  Once per day, as a standard action. select a target the monk can see.  The monk opens his third eye and slightly tweaks the revealed threads of fate, altering the metaphysical balance of power.  That target loses the ability to use a single extraordinary class ability for the next hour.

Enlightenment Comes First (ex)
At twentieth level, nothing interrupts a monk's turn except a higher leveled monk.  Immediate actions, readied actions, contingencies, traps, anything else, doesn't matter.  The monk's got first priority.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:57:49 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #332 on: July 11, 2011, 12:00:42 PM »
All I've heard about from this build is a single ability gained at level 1.  So, it hardly does much to rehabilitate or support the class.  Further, this build, as far as I understand it, seems to revolve around exploiting the magic item rules. 

I'd make the humble suggestion that we move on from this build at some point in the near future, but that's just one man's preference.  And, I acknowledge that I'm kind of cheating since I did totally comment on the build in this post. 
Because you've only been reading people's debates about the one trick. 

The build capatalizes on Unarmed Strike, (Greater) Flurry of Blows, Ki strike, granted bonus feats, Stunning Fist uses, Etherealness, Tongue of the Sun and Moon, and (possibly) Timeless Body.  Most of those are granted later on in the class.  Read the entire build instead of the debates about it.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #333 on: July 11, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »
All I've heard about from this build is a single ability gained at level 1.  So, it hardly does much to rehabilitate or support the class.  Further, this build, as far as I understand it, seems to revolve around exploiting the magic item rules.  

I'd make the humble suggestion that we move on from this build at some point in the near future, but that's just one man's preference.  And, I acknowledge that I'm kind of cheating since I did totally comment on the build in this post.  
Because you've only been reading people's debates about the one trick.  

The build capatalizes on Unarmed Strike, (Greater) Flurry of Blows, Ki strike, granted bonus feats, Stunning Fist uses, Etherealness, Tongue of the Sun and Moon, and (possibly) Timeless Body.  Most of those are granted later on in the class.  Read the entire build instead of the debates about it.
Fair enough, though in my defense it is pages back.  And, again, in my defense, a lot of the post (#225, page 12) focuses on the magic item thing.  Oh, and it took exactly 2 posts to get off on the whole natural attacks thing.  

Setting all that aside, he's a pretty decent monk build.  And, I agree w/ the assessment that he'd be a solid contributor in most parties, though I often feel my requirements for such are modest compared to a lot of people here.  It's pretty standard monk/melee tactics (knockdown, etc.), w/ the addition of a handy ranged option which is a nice way to clean up a monk's weakness (I've tended to use Blood Wind items for a similar purpose).  Without the ability to throw himself as a weapon, he has the standard monk problem, though:  he's got tons of mobility but his tactics also want him to make a full attack, robbing him of much of that advantage, though Snap Kick helps.  I'm not expecting anyone to really solve that problem, but it bears pointing out.

I don't know how much it "capitalizes" on the 1/day random Monk abilities gained at level 17+ except for you pointing out their situational usefulness, but fair enough.  Looking back over the thread, it occurs to me that NachoFan99 expressed 90% of what I had to say about the rest of the build, so ... yeah ... what he said.  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:11:57 PM by Unbeliever »

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #334 on: July 11, 2011, 12:30:07 PM »
This is how your Monk will fight. Toss in some way to quickly regenerate and live through the dismemberment and I will accept this build as AWESOME! :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:32:43 PM by ImperatorK »
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #335 on: July 11, 2011, 12:59:13 PM »
Etherealness is 20 rounds/day, split up as desired.  Hardly 1/day.

Matter of fact, nothing I said the build capatalizes on is 1/day.  More like 20/day, which is usually more than enough.

And there are still no rules for dismemberment, so even if only the fist (for example) counts as the "unarmed strike", the entire Monk will follow since it's still attached.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:02:39 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #336 on: July 11, 2011, 01:41:57 PM »
There are no rules for dismemberment so nothing in the game can me dismembered? :twitch
I find that this argument is weak. If something isn't in the rules, you use Rule 0.
Also, if dismemberment is impossible then half of Regenerations usefulness is redundant.
Quote from: SRD on Regeneration
Creatures with this extraordinary ability recover from wounds quickly and can even regrow or reattach severed body parts.Creatures with regeneration can regrow lost portions of their bodies and can reattach severed limbs or body parts. Severed parts die if they are not reattached.
Also, the spell:
Quote from: SRD about Regenerate
, broken bones, and ruined organs grow back. After the spell is cast, the physical regeneration is complete in 1 round if the severed members are present and touching the creature. It takes 2d10 rounds otherwise.

Regenerate also cures 4d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +35), rids the subject of exhaustion and/or fatigue, and eliminates all nonlethal damage the subject has taken. It has no effect on nonliving creatures (including undead).

I might be wrong (and probably am) but for me the whole "Monks entire body is his weapon" is more fluff then rules. It just says that a Monk can use all of his limbs to fight, not only fists. Heck, I would even allow him to hit with his butt!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:00:23 PM by ImperatorK »

[spoiler]
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #337 on: July 11, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »
Oh, there are rules for replacing lost limbs, but no way to actually lose them.  There's a difference between re-attaching/replacing limbs and dismemberment.

Seriously, give me a rules quote from any book or online article saying what it takes to lose an arm.  Only thing I can think of is a feat in Savage Species that A. is voluntary and B. requires Regeneration to take.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:07:13 PM by snakeman830 »

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

PhaedrusXY

• Organ Grinder
  • Advanced Spambot
« Reply #338 on: July 11, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
Oh, there are rules for replacing lost limbs, but no way to actually lose them.  There's a difference between re-attaching/replacing limbs and dismemberment.

Seriously, give me a rules quote from any book or online article saying what it takes to lose an arm.  Only thing I can think of is a feat in Savage Species that A. is voluntary and B. requires Regeneration to take.
Well, the Sword of Severing from AD&D 2nd edition says... Oh wait...
[spoiler]
A couple of water benders, a dike, a flaming arrow, and a few barrels of blasting jelly?

Sounds like the makings of a gay porn film.
...thanks
[/spoiler]

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #339 on: July 11, 2011, 02:17:41 PM »
Oh, there are rules for replacing lost limbs, but no way to actually lose them.  There's a difference between re-attaching/replacing limbs and dismemberment.

Seriously, give me a rules quote from any book or online article saying what it takes to lose an arm.  Only thing I can think of is a feat in Savage Species that A. is voluntary and B. requires Regeneration to take.
O.o
Why are there rules for replacing lost limbs if by the rules you can't actually loose them? ???
Maybe because even if there is no specific rule you always can Rule 0 it? It's there just for such occasions, if you didn't know it.

If you're using such absurd logic, then I have nothing to add... (I am looking for rules on dismemberment, but it's unlikely that I find them, default D&D isn't NittyGritty enough)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:26:01 PM by ImperatorK »

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]