Author Topic: Jack Attack!  (Read 7377 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Jack Attack!
« on: May 02, 2011, 03:21:29 PM »
From "What would it take to make the Fighter a Tier 3 class?"
High-tier fighter = Jack Rakan.

Is this an acceptable goal?
Indeed!
And so, an attempt at Jack-esque abilities. Don't take this as a finished work.

HD: d12
BAB: Good
Saves: All good
Class Skills (4+Int): All of them
1    Analyse, Hey let me try that, Inner strength, Spell resistance, Weapon affinity
2    Bonus feat, Rapid recovery (12 hours)
3    Ability bonus, Forged by experience, Hard as stone 1
4    Bonus feat, Larger than life (Large), Natural armor +1
5    Ability bonus, Fortification of legend 25%, Rapid recovery (6 hours)
6    Bonus feat, Hard as stone 3, Shatter magic
7    Ability bonus, Natural armor +2
8    Bonus feat, Rapid recovery (3 hours)
9    Ability bonus, Hard as stone 6, Larger than life (Huge)
10   Bonus feat, Fortification of legend 50%, Natural armor +3
11   Ability bonus, Analyse (take 10), Rapid recovery (1 hour)
12   Bonus feat, Hard as stone 10, Shatter magic (channel)
13   Ability bonus, Natural armor +4
14   Bonus feat, Larger than life (Gargantuan), Rapid recovery (10 minutes)
15   Ability bonus, Fortification of legend 75%, Hard as stone 15
16   Bonus feat, Mastery, Natural armor +5
17   Ability bonus, Rapid recovery (1 minute)
18   Bonus feat, Hard as stone 21, Shatter magic (disjunction)
19   Ability bonus, Larger than life (Colossal), Natural armor +6
20   Bonus feat, Fortification of legend 100%, Rapid recovery (1 round)

Analyse (Ex): Fighters learn to recognise new abilities and adapt to them. A fighter can make skill checks to identify spells, creatures, etc. as if he had a number of ranks in the relevant skill equal to his fighter level +3. A fighter can only learn information on his target's game stats with this ability - for instance, when identifying a troll he could learn of its regeneration and how to overcome it, but not that it is called a troll or how common trolls are in the area. However, if he has ranks in the relevant skill he can still learn this information with a normal check.
At 11th level he may take 10 on this check, even if stress and distractions would normally prevent him from doing so.

Hey, Let Me Try That (Ex): If a fighter succeeds on a check to identify a special attack, he gains the ability to use it himself. A fighter cannot copy a collection of abilities like Spellcasting - one spell is copied with each use of this ability. Likewise, he may not copy special attacks from creatures with CRs higher than his fighter level (though he may able to use a weaker version, see below), or those relying on anatomy he does not possess.

Extraordinary abilities can be used normally. In the case of spell-like and supernatural abilities he must pay power points equal to the level at which the special attack was gained by the subject (or the subject's CR in the case of racial abilities). The fighter may augment abilities as if manifesting a power - for every 2 additional pp spent, the DC increases by +1. If he copies an actual psionic power, he may manifest it normally as a wilder. His manifester level is equal to his fighter level, which caps the number of pp he may spend for any use of this ability.

The save DC is based on his own HD and statistics rather than the subject's, and size-based attacks affect targets of the same size relative to the fighter (eg. a Colossal subject with an attack which affects Gargantuan and smaller creatures would grant a Medium fighter the ability to affect Small and smaller creatures). If the effect would normally be continuous (such as a damaging aura), it requires a swift action to activate for 1 round.

The fighter may permanently retain a number of special attacks equal to his Int modifier, and forgets excess abilities after one minute.

Inner Strength: A fighter has power points per day as a psychic warrior of his fighter level, but does not gain the ability to manifest powers.

Weapon Affinity (Ex): The saving DC of any effect created by magic weapons wielded by the fighter becomes (10 + half his fighter level + his Cha mod) if it is higher than the standard DC. Effects which duplicate spells have a caster level equal to his fighter level if that is higher than normal (recalculate damage, duration, etc. as appropriate). Increase the enhancement bonus of any weapon wielded by a fighter by 1; he may treat nonmagical weapons as +1 weapons.

Spell Resistance (Ex): A fighter gains Spell Resistance equal to 11 + his fighter level, using these alternate rules.

Bonus Feat: At every even level, a fighter gains one fighter feat for which he meets the prerequisites as a bonus feat.

Rapid Recovery (Ex): At 2nd level, a fighter gains the benefits of 24 hours of rest in 12 hours. As he gains levels this ability improves, as shown above. This does not restore uses of daily abilities, or affect the amount of time required to prepare spells.

Ability Bonus: At 3rd level and every odd level thereafter, a fighter increases one of his physical ability scores by 1.

Forged by Experience (Ex): At 3rd level, a fighter can enchant parts of his body as magic items, as if he had the relevant item creation feat and a caster level equal to his class level. A fighter cannot emulate an item creation feat with a caster level requirement higher than his class level, or create an item with a limited number of uses. These items take up body slots as normal (but see below). A fighter may dismantle an "item" created in this manner in half the time it took to create it, regaining the expended gp and freeing up the slot once more.
A fighter may treat his unarmed strike as a manufactured weapon and his skin as a suit of armor for the purposes of this ability, and their enchantments overlap with those of any magic weapons or armor he uses (i.e. a fighter with a +1 flaming unarmed strike wielding a +2 weapon would treat it as a +2 flaming weapon).

Hard as Stone (Ex): A fighter gains hardness 1 at 3rd level. At 6th level this hardness increases by 2, at 9th level it increases by 3, and so on. This stacks with any damage reduction he may possess.

Larger than Life (Ex): At 4th level a fighter may treat himself as one size category larger than normal whenever this would be a benefit (including carrying capacity, bonuses on grapple checks, and which weapons he can wield). At every fifth level thereafter he may treat himself as another size category larger.

Natural Armor: At 4th level and every third level thereafter, a fighter gains a +1 bonus to natural armor, or his existing natural armor bonus increases by 1.

Fortification of Legend (Ex): At 5th level, whenever a fighter is targeted by an effect which would have a reduced effect on objects or none at all (such as a critical hit or mind-affecting effect) there is a 25% chance that the effect is resolved as if the fighter were an object. This chance increases by 25% at every 5th level thereafter. The fighter still benefits from positive effects (like bardic knowledge) as normal.

Shatter Magic (Ex): At 6th level, a fighter can create a nonmagical greater dispel magic effect at will (caster level equals his fighter level). Only the targeted dispel option may be replicated, and the range of the effect is reduced to touch; this ability may, however, be used to counterspell. At 12th level this effect is channeled by each of the fighter's attacks, and he may choose to resolve the dispel before or after the attack; in addition he may make a counterspell in place of an attack of opportunity. At 18th level he may instead choose to replicate a Mordenkainen's disjunction effect centred on himself, except that he is immune to the effect.

Mastery (Ex): At 16th level a fighter's experience has grown so much that may take 10 on any d20 roll, even if stress and distractions would normally prevent him from doing so.

Epic Fighter
Weapon Affinity (Ex): At 21st level and every 10th level thereafter, the enhancement bonus of any weapon wielded by the fighter increases by an additional +1.

Rapid Recovery (Ex): At 23rd level the fighter can use this ability as a standard action. This improves to a move action at 26th level, a swift action at 29th level, and a free action once per round at 32nd level. At 35th level this ability instead grants the benefits of two days of rest, +1 day for every 3 levels thereafter.

Forged by Experience (Ex): At 21st level and higher the fighter may use this ability to emulate epic item creation feats.

Fortification of Legend (Ex): This ability's chance of activating continues to increase by 25% at 25th level and every 5th level thereafter, even beyond 100% - if an enemy could somehow ignore or disable the ability, reduce this chance by -100%.

Shatter Magic (Ex): A fighter of 21st level or higher ignores the normal cap on greater dispel magic for the purposes of this ability.

Heavy Weapons
A weapon can be crafted with exotic materials of enormous weight, for use by the mightiest warriors.
Such a weapon appears to be normally sized, but deals damage as one or more sizes heavier and has the price and weight of a normal weapon of that size. Such a weapon is treated as its actual size or its effective size, whichever is worse, for determining whether a character can wield it. A character with Powerful Build or a similar ability which lets him count as both the weapon's sizes at once can wield the weapon without penalty.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:59:13 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Jack Attack!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »
And before anyone even mentions it, The Hero With A Thousand Faces is his weapon, not a class feature.

GJ Prime.

Edit: Hey, Let Me Try That: Make it a full round action to permanently memorize the ability.

Enable forgetting one or more memorized abilities upon leveling up.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:09:01 PM by Sinfire Titan »

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:01:54 PM »
And before anyone even mentions it, The Hero With A Thousand Faces is his weapon, not a class feature
Nonsense, it should be a class feature. Every fighter needs an awesome weapon.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
And before anyone even mentions it, The Hero With A Thousand Faces is his weapon, not a class feature
Nonsense, it should be a class feature. Every fighter needs an awesome weapon.

It's an artifact. Besides, he was given it (technically), he didn't just spontaneously grow it (though I wouldn't put something like that past him).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »
Yeah, but fighters of legend usually have some unique weapon. Excalibur, Durandal, Caladbolg, Fragarach, Guan Dao, the list goes on, above and beyond 'basic equipment'.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:00:44 PM »
Hey, Let Me Try That: Make it a full round action to permanently memorize the ability.

At present you can make an ability permanent or forget it as a free action.

Also, this guy should get the ability to treat himself as an object when beneficial. Starting with resistance to certain damage types, ending with "you can't read my mind, I'm an object". Not sure what levels to gain that at though.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:09:14 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 08:11:55 PM »
Altough a very nice work, I believe this is T2, for the simple fact you get to cast every 9th level spell out there. Sure they're few in a row, but you can virtually cast anything, and then you can recover them quickly. Sorceror is T2. Favored soul is T2. This is definetely T2 as well.

The limitation factor of only knowing a few spells at a time is easily overcome by the fact that you can easily change them, unlike a sorceror of favored soul. Low number of uses is overcome by the fact that you recharge fast.

And that's not touching the ability to learn super monster powers. A lot of monsters have just 1-2 super powers like gaze attacks and whatnot, and Jack can pick them all and stack them over each other.

Heck, if playing this, I may be extremely tempted to just don't even care about physical combat at all, dump Str, pump Int as much as possible and proceed to collect the best combination of super powers I can.

Wich is ver un-Jack like, as last time I checked, he couldn't really cast spells or copy a dragon's breath or replicate the code of the keymaker. The class here can do all of that.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
Wich is ver un-Jack like, as last time I checked, he couldn't really cast spells or copy a dragon's breath or replicate the code of the keymaker. The class here can do all of that.
He did cast Erebea.

Exploding afterwards was probably not intended though.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 08:20:04 PM »
Jack can cast spells, he just usually doesn't bother. I wouldn't be too shocked if he copied dragon breath, honestly. As for Code of the Lifemaker, you can't steal powers from the DM.

He did cast Erebea.

Exploding afterwards was probably not intended though.
It had the Evil descriptor. Negi has Evil Exception, Jack doesn't.
My work

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 08:24:33 PM »
Jack can cast spells, he just usually doesn't bother.
He doesn't bother because he can punch battleships, has a collection of giant swords and offensive magic plainly sucks in Negiverse, only damaging clothing when it damages anything at all.

The Jack here however still can't punch battleships, but suddenly acess to awesome magic. He has big reasons to just go spellcaster route with extra HP and hardness.

As for Code of the Lifemaker, you can't steal powers from the DM.
You should put that on the class then. :p

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 01:08:26 AM »
Also, this guy should get the ability to treat himself as an object when beneficial. Starting with resistance to certain damage types, ending with "you can't read my mind, I'm an object". Not sure what levels to gain that at though.

I'm stealing the fuck out of this idea. Just to let you know. Sorry for not posting anything constructive, but I'll come back and post what I end up working out, although it might not be completely useful since this class is rather different than the one I'll be working with.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 06:46:29 AM »
Yeah, but fighters of legend usually have some unique weapon. Excalibur, Durandal, Caladbolg, Fragarach, Guan Dao, the list goes on, above and beyond 'basic equipment'.
Added Weapon Affinity.
My work

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
Resilience (Ex): At 4th level, a fighter begins to become incredibly tough. He starts to take on several of the benefits due objects. He gains resistance to cold 10, and is treated as having hardness equal to half his class level. At 8th level, he takes half damage from cold attacks that deal more than 20 points of damage (otherwise, he simply applies his cold resistance), gains fire and electricity resistance 10, and his hardened flesh becomes resistant to precision damage, imposing a -4 penalty on attack rolls to confirm critical hits against the fighter and reducing any precision damage suffered by 2 dice.

That's what I went with. It'd scale faster at higher levels, but it's written into a Fighter that gets some other nice things and getting Really Nice Things doesn't need to happen till spellcasters do (past 7th level or so). At least those were my thoughts when I wrote it, and the class I wrote it in doesn't go past level 10. Should mention that the crit and precision damage reduction is because of houserules that change how they work; keeping the standard immunity rules, you would want 25% fortification.

EDIT:
Resilience (Ex): A fighter becomes incredibly tough as he gains levels, taking on several of the benefits ordinarily due objects.
At 4th level, he gains resistance to cold 10, and is treated as having hardness equal to half his class level.
At 8th level, he takes half damage from cold attacks that deal more than 20 points of damage (otherwise, he simply applies his cold resistance), gains fire and electricity resistance 10, and his hardened flesh becomes resistant to precision damage, imposing a -4 penalty on attack rolls to confirm critical hits against the fighter and reducing any precision damage suffered by 2 dice.
At 10th level, he instead takes 1/4 damage from cold attacks that deal more than 12 points of damage (otherwise he simply applies his cold resistance), and takes half damage from fire and electricity attacks that deal more than 20 points of damage (otherwise he simply applies his resistances).
At 12th level, he begins to interact with supernatural effects as if he were an object when it is beneficial to him; whenever affected by a Necromancy or Enchantment spell that allows spell resistance, the caster must roll a caster level check with a DC equal to 11+the fighter's BAB in order to affect him; this is not SR, however, so a fighter with SR applies that separately.
At 14th level, his hardness increases to his class level.
At 16th level, the same roll must be made for any mind-affecting spell (only one check need be made, even if a spell fits into multiple categories) as for Necromancy or Enchantment spells allowing spell resistance, and the fighter instead reduces precision damage by 4 dice and imposes a -8 penalty on attack rolls against him.
At 18th level, the fighter is able to benefit from spells and other effects that affect objects, if he desires; effects that improve or alter weapons affect any weapon he wields while they affect the fighter, while those that improve armor or shields affect his own armor or shield. Otherwise, the Fighter gains their benefit directly.
At 20th level, the DC to affect him with Necromancy or Enchantment spells that allow spell resistance, or any mind-affecting spell, increases by 10.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:17:59 AM by Bauglir »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 12:29:45 AM »
Might want to work on the formatting for the second lump, its near unreadable.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 01:17:01 AM »
Might want to work on the formatting for the second lump, its near unreadable.

How is it now? (assuming you were talking to me, since it pretty much was)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 01:39:27 AM »
Much better, though I wonder why single out specific elements.
Other than physical damage resistance being that much more significant to the Fighter anyway. Energy damage tends to be smaller than Strength based physical from large monsters.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:41:15 AM by veekie »
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

TC X0 Lt 0X

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 01:58:22 AM »
And to think I just finished reading the Negi vs Rakan chapters a few hours ago.

Hey, Let Me Try That: Make it a full round action to permanently memorize the ability.

At present you can make an ability permanent or forget it as a free action.

I AGREE.
"Never beg, you earn, by winning,
or else you won't get anything..."

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 06:47:37 AM »
Made me think of this:[spoiler][/spoiler]
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 01:46:16 PM »
I came back. Because it wasn't Jack enough.
My work

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 02:01:36 PM »
Forged by Experience won't do much if you can't emulate spellson top of item creation feats and CL.

Also why all skills as class skills? Jack doesn't go around sneaking the shadows or decyphring ancient texts or hacking into magic systems or manipulating dreams.

Otherwise, excellent update! I feel extremely tempted to use this on the next oportunity I can (whitout all skills as class skills of course)!