Author Topic: Osama is dead  (Read 9789 times)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: Osama is dead
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 07:17:48 PM »
 :)
HAPPY ... (wistful) ... happy enough to enjoy it (the happy part).
 :clap

The historic "Peace" Churches like Amish, Mennonites and Quakers
and the more recent liberal Mainline Churches (Obama's U.C.C. , Presbyterians, etc ... )
have had a running debate about what to do with Bad Guys.
You still have to have Police, Laws, Enforcement (separate from Laws),
Lawyers (egad), Prisons, the whole nine yards.
But then you don't go to war, so you end up talking like Ron Paul on this issue.

So it's not quite a wimpy non-violence ; it's got some real teeth.
Lots of Aiding And Abetting / Harboring going on within Pakistan, and right wing Muslim circles.
Islam has these concepts too ... although how they get to it,
is completely different than Western countries.
The Peace Churches are still not certain what to do in this situation.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »
While I sure won't cry for Bin Laden, I didn't find myself celebrating his death. This isn't because I find the idea of celebrating someone's death appaling, but more because Bin Laden's existence never really directly impacted my life or any country or person I care about, so I probably lack an emotional involvement. The main thing I felt is... hard to describe. Bin Laden's been around in the back of everyone's minds for so long (to me, anyway - September 2001 to now is almost exactly half my whole life) that he felt sort of... eternal, for lack of a better world. It never really occured to me that he might ever die, and I think it's still not entirely sunk in. It's not exactly being reminded of mortality, it's more like... a weird anticlimatic feeling.

As for kurashu: If you actually hold yourself to that, kudos. I can't honestly blame anyone for cheering over the death of someone they hate, however. Even among the people who don't open up a bottle of champagne in public, most will be rejoicing on the inside.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 09:10:06 PM »
I just talked to a coworker who believes the whole thing is a hoax because of the "buried at sea" and no pictures thing.

They might have considered it impolitic or in bad taste to parade pics of a days old bullet ridden corpse.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 10:48:34 PM »
I just talked to a coworker who believes the whole thing is a hoax because of the "buried at sea" and no pictures thing.

They might have considered it impolitic or in bad taste to parade pics of a days old bullet ridden corpse.
Besides, if it's a hoax, it's a pretty poor one. If he really is alive, he can just release another video message.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 11:17:24 PM »
And then we get the propaganda counterattack, because Osama would have SURELY recorded a message to show in the case of his untimely death --

-- oh wait, this is a crazy-ass Saudi Arabian who was born into so much money that he might as well clean his nose on it, not Lelouch Lamperouge.

In any case, I can understand the happiness of those who lost their relatives on 9/11 and whatnot. For the survivors of mass murder, revenge is about as much closure as it gets.

Kurashu, I won't bash you for being appalled at the thought of celebrating one's death. But he was pretty goddamn nasty as a human being. Personally, 'simple' death compared to what might've happened if he were brought back to the US alive is about as much mercy as the guy gets.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 11:33:33 AM »
Hehe, there is no way that man was ever going to get a trial.  Can you imagine the kinds of crap that could have come to light or at least to the front pages regarding his past associations with our government.
Placeholder - T'tosc

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 01:52:39 PM »

Besides, if it's a hoax, it's a pretty poor one. If he really is alive, he can just release another video message.
Those who wish to believe it's a hoax would not let mere photographic evidence sway them.  No doubt they would call "photoshop" or similar on any evidence short of allowing them to physically touch the body and thoroughly examine it for evidence that it's not a body double.  Ultimately this line of thinking devolves into "prove a negative" territory.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 02:02:02 PM »
I demand to see Osama's death certificate, and will not rest until the long form version is released!

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 02:21:28 PM »
I demand to see Osama's death certificate, and will not rest until the long form version is released!
Where did Osama go to school to finish his death?  I want the transcripts released!   :P
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »

Those who wish to believe it's a hoax would not let mere photographic evidence sway them.  No doubt they would call "photoshop" or similar on any evidence short of allowing them to physically touch the body and thoroughly examine it for evidence that it's not a body double.  Ultimately this line of thinking devolves into "prove a negative" territory.
That's the sort of thing that pisses me off with my friend claiming with certainty that it didn't happen.  I don't know what she expects to see that would convince her.  It's not like she even knows Bin Laden well enough to be satisfied to see his physical remains right in front of her.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 06:24:47 PM »
Have you asked her why Al-Queda's so angry over Obama not killing Osama?

Ah, never mind. It'll just distract her from figuring out who really killed JFK.

(It was the phone companies. He was going to break them up.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 06:29:47 PM by Solo »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »
[stupid conspiracy theory]

So ... they had a body duplicate in the form of
"Pepe" bin Laden, a cousin who got lots of nose work done.
They didn't tell the girl that they forced contract marriage, to him.
She thinks he's the real one, and that's the important part.

The "cousin" part is ingenious because the DNA tests
are blah blah blah. You know  ;) ... not real.
And yet look almost exactly what they would supposed to look like.
My kitty avatar was given to me by Elvis.

[/stupid conspiracy theory]
 :rollseyes

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Him being who he is I bet they took corpse identification to massive overkill levels.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 07:43:33 PM »
The burial at sea and the lack of pictures are political moves designed to placate our wahabi  allies in Saudi Arabia. Photos of the dead, and delay in burial are heinously offensive to that sub-sect of Islam

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
That's it.

What's weird is the brou-hah-hah over doing it at sea, at all.
That supposedly it can't be done "there".
Malaysia and Indonesia were islam-ified (dawa-ed) via the ocean.
Those ocean voyages lasted months. People died at sea.
Y'aint keeping a corpse for months in the tropics, just to bury them on land.
A + B = oops.

(whatever)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »
Naw, its not that the corpse is disposed at sea, but more that being disposed at sea means theres no way to get it back and verify his death. Cue conspiracists.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 02:03:04 AM »
Naw, its not that the corpse is disposed at sea, but more that being disposed at sea means theres no way to get it back and verify his death. Cue conspiracists.

Nah, dropping him into the sea just means they can get him back to life like Megatron did.
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
Well right, but that's from this side of the hoo-ey.
Local (boondock) TV news interviewed some college Muslims.
I was "responding" to that ... whole can't be buried at sea.

Jay Leno ... had a good one.
"Isn't it ironic, that he gets buried at sea, and still finds himself surrounded by seals."
 :D
(paraphrasing)

Whisper

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »
No point in celebrating. He may be dead, but he still won.

This is so obvious even wikipedia knows it:

On March 11, 2005, Al-Quds Al-Arabi published extracts from Saif al-Adel's document "Al Quaeda's Strategy to the Year 2020".[40][41] Abdel Bari Atwan summarizes this strategy as comprising five stages:

1. Provoke the United States into invading a Muslim country.
   2. Incite local resistance to occupying forces.
   3. Expand the conflict to neighboring countries, and engage the U.S. in a long war of attrition.
   4. Convert Al-Qaeda into an ideology and set of operating principles that can be loosely franchised in other countries without requiring direct command and control, and via these franchises incite attacks against countries allied with the U.S. until they withdraw from the conflict, as happened with the 2004 Madrid train bombings, but which did not have the same effect with the 7 July 2005 London bombings.
   5. The U.S. economy will finally collapse under the strain of too many engagements in too many places, similarly to the Soviet war in Afghanistan, Arab regimes supported by the U.S. will collapse, and a Wahhabi Caliphate will be installed across the region.

Does anybody want to argue that this isn't working beautifully so far?

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 10:02:16 PM »
Well, aside from the fact that the economy is in trouble due to banks and not Al Quaeda, that the economy is still going despite the problems and shows no sign of a collapse, the conflict not spreading to neighboring countries, Al Quaeda's ideology not spreading - notice the fact that the protests in the Middle East being in favor of democracy and liberalism rather than a jihad against corrupt government in favor of a fundamentalist caliphate? -, and the part where Al Quaeda has been weakened considerably due to the size and scope of the war which they did not anticipate...

Yeah, it's going beautifully.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:05:22 PM by Solo »