Author Topic: Fighter Fix Idea - Feat Master!  (Read 7519 times)

Halna

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Re: Fighter Fix Idea - Feat Master!
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 01:34:52 AM »
Repeating myself in a more serious tone...as written an Incantrix who loses Iron Will loses all his Incantrix class features plus ten levels of spell casting. Is this your intent?

He would only lose his Incantatrix class features.

As far as the class goes, I like it. I would explain more as to how Metamagic/psionic feats works with Expanded Feats. Persistent Full Attacking? Que?

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 11:15:26 AM »
Hmm, seems I missed some last questions here.

Halna: I would say you cannot use persistent on an attack because it's an instataneous effect, so doesn't qualify for persistent.

skydragonknight:As Halna pointed out the Incantrix would retain her spells, just couldn't perform any metamagic shenigans anymore.

bkdubs123:Three words then. Rule Of Cool.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 03:26:01 PM »
It occurs to me on rereading bkdubs's posts...

Magic needs flavour. Taking a look at generic systems like M&M, there is no flavour. The GM builds a world with none of D&D's assumptions, and as a result it can end up very clear how the setting's supernatural abilities work.

Finding openings in the process of casting a spell should not be any less believable than finding openings in the process of swinging a sword. It's harder to imagine simply because there is so little to base it on; any two people could picture the process of casting a spell differently. We need some set of fluff to base things on, details of the steps involved in a casting. Maybe you can disable one spell because it's cast from the user's eyes, and another by disrupting the flow of mana through the body. The kind of instructions that the Satanic Panic guys have been scouring the books for for decades. :P

I'm starting a thread for this in Talespinning. Link here.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 03:29:49 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 09:13:55 PM »
EDIT: And while we're on the subject, this, "wich includes nullifying magic items crafted by the oponent if you removed the respective item creation feat" makes less than no sense. Fighter says, "Oh, nice flaming sword you've got there. Your Wizard crafted it, I know," and suddenly the sword is no longer magic. That. Is. Stupid.

The ability is just a "fuck you" ability not one that is written to make sense for a Fighter to have. Note, that I'm not saying it's too powerful, that's a whole other discussion entire. It just doesn't make any sense, and when the rest of this Fighter's class features were clearly written with some thought in mind, and this one feature is obviously just written to say "FUCK YOU WIZARD" it looks really, really ugly to me.
This.
It's really bad design but I guess the thing that sealed the deal was this:
This one could use a better wording, but I believe you get the idea. Wizard says "lolno" to something, then the fighter says "lolno" in return.
Giving a class a bunch of things that are metagamed to be better than the other classes doesn't do shit to improve the game. I do have a question though, can your fighter grapple incopreal creatures? Oozes? Swarms? right so with impossible feat you basically create a character that bypasses the active defenses of almost all cretures. not good.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"