Author Topic: Creating a 'Tippyverse' style 'trap' Boulevard? Best spells for this?  (Read 5948 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Distilled Joy as a spell like ability takes 1 standard action... if you can manage to throw that into a trap, and have it be cast after a spell that raises moods, you can actually harvest the happiness of your people and use it for all kinds of long term investments.  You can even have a dose of the stuff added to the stew, thus raising moods and healing the target... and have another dose created for your own purposes.

JaronK

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
So start it with a Good Hope, then an Elation, then a Distilled Joy trap?

WOO XP FOR CRAFTING!!!
BG's other resident furry!

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
That was my thinking, yes.  Elation even makes people move along faster, ensuring better throughput.  Use the exp from Ambrosia to make new magical traps, so now you can produce them free of exp.  When you have enough of them, use that exp for greater ends.

JaronK

Halinn

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
On the subject of lighting: why not just use Summon Monster IV to bring in Lantern Archons for the Continual Flame SLA?

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
Making the world a measurably better place for fun and profit? I think the fact that the celestials haven't yet done this is proof that they are secretly in league with Pelor, the Burning Hate.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
How about some phone booths? Communication helps everyone. A simple booth could trigger a Zone of Silence when you close the door (for privacy), a Sending whenever you speak, and a Magic Mouth whenever a response is received via Sending (since technically the trap is casting it, the trap gets the response, not the speaker).

That is hilarious.

Trap the roads with Haste to let everyone get where they are going faster. Expeditious Retreat would be cheaper, but I'm not sure how personal spells work with traps.
... and/or Buff spells in general.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
sewage disposal. = Otyugh

... although it doesn't help with the disease problem.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
i thought slimes were for sewage disposal?
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
If you're looking for a garbage disposal that doesn't risk injuring living beings, then how about a Teleport Object trap that then ports the object to a standard Disintegrate trap. Only objects get sent so you don't have to worry about anyone falling in accidentally unless they actively try to be disintegrated. Unfortunately, Teleport Object inherits from Teleport, not Greater Teleport, so it has a 3% chance of sending the object to the wrong place.

A series of Retrieve traps can make a rapid and effective sewer system, though, especially if you apply the Burrowing Power feat to it so it can go through walls (place garbage in receptacle, close lid, and poof it disappears, retrieved by the next trap down the line). Just make sure that the traps act as a Colossal manifester with a high Strength and ML so they can hold (and thus retrieve) larger items as needed. However, as long as you're teleporting things, a Divert Teleport trap can shunt it directly to anywhere you need. Note that it doesn't actually reference Teleport (or its psionic counterpart) so it doesn't have a failure chance (other than the Will save) or even the usual 100 mile/level range limit. Just find some effect to initiate a teleport, then divert it to an appropriate location. Note the maximum load limit.

Regardless of which method you choose, the first spell that only teleports objects essentially acts as a filter for the Disintegrate effect (which can still affect living creatures, though).
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
See invisibility or true seeing.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
I'm thinking that just Wall of Stone / Stone Shape / Fabricating mundane infrastructure might work better?  Those are all Level 5 spells or lower...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:23:26 AM by Gavinfoxx »

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
If you want to build infrastructure, get an undead creature or construct that can make perform checks (Dread Warrior, Warforged, Skeleton with Awaken Undead, whatever) and can follow plans.  Have a construction team plan out the infrastructure you want, then give your undead guy a Lyre of Building (he only needs a +5 bonus to just take 10).  Once such worker can work 4800 man hours per day and keep going continuously.  Even just one of these can handle roads, sewer systems, and so on, but if you get a few more you can build plenty.  And don't forget, you can supply your city's water needs with a few Decanters of Endless Water permanently set to geyser mode.

Note that a Binder who can bind Zceryll with sufficient binder level can chain summon Genies for infinite permanent wood products.  You can now use Bronzewood (hard as metal), Darkwood (half weight) and Wildwood (regenerates) to build infrastructure and housing with your lyre playing builders.

As a bonus, construction noise in your magical world will not be pounding pile drivers.  Instead, it will be beautiful lyre music.

JaronK

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
very disney.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

kremti

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
As a bonus, construction noise in your magical world will not be pounding pile drivers.  Instead, it will be beautiful lyre music.

I don't know.  Somehow I imagine when undead plays the lyre, I imagine death-metal being played, and with Warforged, I imagine it being some techno.  Fleshlings might complain if the music is played 24/7.

-K

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Wait, doesn't the distilled joy spell have a CRAZY long casting time? How do we overcome that??

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Wait, doesn't the distilled joy spell have a CRAZY long casting time? How do we overcome that??
Spell-to-power erudite = Linked Power'd standard action power of your choice to make the trap.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder

That's why I said you need it to be a standard action somehow.  Spell like abilities are always a standard action or less (unless the specific Sp ability says otherwise, see Rules Compendium), so for example a Factotum casting Distilled Joy can do it in a standard action.  You need a trap that uses the Sp ability, not the spell.  There may be other ways of shrinking the cast time as well.

JaronK

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email

That's why I said you need it to be a standard action somehow.  Spell like abilities are always a standard action or less (unless the specific Sp ability says otherwise, see Rules Compendium), so for example a Factotum casting Distilled Joy can do it in a standard action.  You need a trap that uses the Sp ability, not the spell.  There may be other ways of shrinking the cast time as well.

JaronK
For such a long time I thought it followed the SRD rules. I am still grateful for you pointing out that I was wrong. Has been a great you in certain games!

Handy Links