Author Topic: Dr. Falcon Punch, mitigating non-lethal damage for fun and prosperity!  (Read 2561 times)

Wings of Peace

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
So, this may be a well known trick already but I'm posting it here in the hopes that the forum can either explain to me why it's wrong or give me more ways to make it work.

The idea is simple, the Martial Spirit stance heals 2 hp on a successful hit and untrained unarmed strikes deal 1d3 + Str (I think they add str anyways) non-lethal damage.  Assuming my understanding of the previous to be true, a character with immunity to non-lethal damage could then simply punch themselves repeatedly causing no harm but healing themselves or a party member 2hp per hit.

Right now my current solutions have been Warforged with the Improved Resiliency feat and Necropolitans.  What I would like to know is what other non-magical ways exist to gain immunity to non-lethal damage in order to allow for a wider selection of racial options for the tricks.  Googling gave me spells that work but I'm looking for Ex. or racial/template immunities primarly.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:13:14 AM by Wings of Peace »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
At least one of the writers has explicitly stated that it's not supposed to work that way, you're supposed to have to hit an actual enemy (not just a percieved one) in order for Martial Spirit to grant healing.

The RAW can also, potentially, support this statement, with the sentence at the end saying that "Each time you hit an opponent..."

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
Assuming the DM will let you use Martial Spirit outside an actual dangerous encounter, you don't necessarily have to be immune to nonlethal damage-- that'll just make it work faster.  Any magical healing heals nonlethal and lethal damage at the same time, so just take a -4 on every other punch to do lethal damage.  You hit twice for 1d3 lethal and 1d3 nonlethal, healing 2 HP each time.  Alternatively, grab a whip and have your target wear armor.

Wings of Peace

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Double Post
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:21:18 AM by Wings of Peace »

Wings of Peace

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
At least one of the writers has explicitly stated that it's not supposed to work that way, you're supposed to have to hit an actual enemy (not just a percieved one) in order for Martial Spirit to grant healing.

The RAW can also, potentially, support this statement, with the sentence at the end saying that "Each time you hit an opponent..."

Your first point is an RAI but is also as close to erratta as TOB will probably get so I'll leave it as it is.

In your second point you've taken your quote out of context however.  Your quote specifically goes on to say that each time I hit an opponent I can change the target of the healing.  The preceding paragraph states that the healing activates upon a successful hit.  By RAW that means that I still get to choose an initial target for the healing if I punch myself, I just can't change the target since I have no enemy to trigger the change.  Instead, we would probably have to exit and re-enter the stance to change targets.

Edit: Lets see how many times I can edit this before I've got the quote box correctly formatted.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:26:39 AM by Wings of Peace »

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
Warforged Juggernaut becomes immune to non-lethal at some point
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Diehard - keeps you from being unconscious from excessive nonlethal. A troll with diehard really puzzled one group I ran.

Nemo

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Capture a goblin, tie him up, carry him around and after fights, slap him for giggles and healing?

DrPhro

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Bone knight becomes immune at 4th lvl (this is also one of the few ways I know to become immune and still qualify for troll-blooded).

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
Puglist variet fighter from D310 can get improved unarmed strike and DR Con Mod/lethal at first level.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Dr. Falcon Punch, mitigating non-lethal damage for fun and prosperity!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 12:25:05 PM »
Diehard - keeps you from being unconscious from excessive nonlethal. A troll with diehard really puzzled one group I ran.
Diehard most certainly does not do this. It's explicit in allowing you to choose whether you fall unconscious when reduced to -1 hp or lower.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 12:33:15 PM »
Diehard most certainly does not do this. It's explicit in allowing you to choose whether you fall unconscious when reduced to -1 hp or lower.
And only works to -9, in case of other shenanigans. Actually, if you pull such tricks, don't have Diehard. You explicitly die at -10 again.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »
And only works to -9, in case of other shenanigans. Actually, if you pull such tricks, don't have Diehard. You explicitly die at -10 again.
Depends on which effect was applied first.  (A later effect, like Delay Death, may make that clause of Diehard irrelevant.)