Author Topic: What would it take to make the Fighter a Tier 3 class?  (Read 67753 times)

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: What would it take to make the Fighter a Tier 3 class?
« Reply #260 on: May 01, 2011, 09:44:09 PM »
I don't understand why you guys so much talk about Skils. Sorry but Fighter is strong Tier 5... and we hear try to increase him to Tier 3... Oki Change his skils and skil points from 2 to 4 and he will go to weak Tier 4 but that will never but him in Tier 3.
For Tier 3 you need some special abilites that for Averege person are almost Magic, extraordinary... Like Haste for several Round. Fast Healing or something like that.

To be in Tier 3 Fighter must be able to fight witch Crusader (Heal him self or ally when hiting enemy) Dread necromancer (9 lvl spells) Warblade (Flexibility and Lots of Damage) Binder (Save or Die spells in evry 5 rounds.) Feats? Psychic Warrior also have them... and he have better list of them and Powers and Psionic Focus...
Its a one step at a time approach, you give the fighter a better chassis try to get him to tier 4, then you work on making him tier 3 with abilities.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #261 on: May 01, 2011, 09:45:22 PM »
That said, fighter is the worst E6 class imaginable, even with a capstone of getting higher level feats.

The only real advantage is getting Shock Trooper + Leap Attack before anyone else. However since E6 eventually becomes Feat Factory, this small asvantage will become nil in a longer game (though it's still limited to full BAB classes).
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #262 on: May 02, 2011, 12:19:08 AM »
Regarding upgrading the Fighter chassis I think something like this might help in the long run:

Hit-die: d12
BaB: Stays at full.
Saves: High Fort and Will
Armor Proficiencies: Standard array (light, medium and heavy) as well as standard shields (including tower shields). Every three levels the fighter gains a free proficiency in an exotic armor or shield.
Weapon Proficiency: Standard array (simple and martial). Every three levels the figher gains a free proficiency in an exotic weapon.
Skills: 4+int at each level and perhaps a skill list comprised of balance, climb, craft, handle animal, heal, intimidate, jump, knowledge (select three), listen, ride, sense motive, spot, swim and tumble.

As for abilities I'd just start throwing things out which sound mechanically strong enough to elevate the old boy...

Ancestral Diasho: Functions just like the OA Samurai's ability.
Mundane Means: Combine the Mage Slayer feats into a class based ability (picking up the three along the classes progression).
Intimidation: Throw on the Zhentarim Fighter substitution class feature, because everyone does already if they can.
Dungeoncrasher: Sure, why the hell not...
Knowledge Devotion: Convert this from a feat into an ability (perhaps mix it with progression-based bumps of the skill trick Collector of Stories).

Ideally you would want to create a niche field for the fighter to be able to fill. I perhaps nominate it be the mundane bad-ass who is really good at fighting a select few enemies through offensive means.

Eldritch_Lord

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #263 on: May 02, 2011, 12:35:49 AM »
HD is 'whoop de fuck'.  If the Fighter is using hp to power his special abilities, he needs more hp, so either 1d20 HD, or double con instead of single con.

I like double con or automatic 15 hit points or something rather than d20, but I agree on the point that all melee's need more hit points since con is where the real hit points come from and since fighters are far more MAD than their T1 and T2 counterparts(especially if we want intelligent fighters) they end up with a lacking con.

Instead of messing with the basic chassis to give the fighter a d20 HD or double Con to each HD or something like that, perhaps you could give it (and possibly the barbarian) some ability along the lines of "Adrenaline Surge" which gives a scaling amount of temporary HP at the beginning of each combat?  The amount is arbitrary--Con*level would be a good place to start--but it would give the fighter a nice HP buffer (to use to power its abilities, if you go that route) but not break the usual HD/Con assumptions.

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #264 on: May 02, 2011, 11:42:45 AM »
@ Bortasz;

The point I was making was not that the fighter should be a mundane person, because that's stupid, and if a mundane person has to fight a dragon, the mundane person is charcoal.

The point I was making was that the fighter should not rely on buffs or buffing in any way full stop.  He should walk around, all goddamn fucking day, as if he WAS buffed.  That's the point of the class, after all, not being 'a sorcerer but with only buff spells and no other spells'.

Warblade, Swordsage, and Crusader do not have buffs.  They have boosts.  Boosts rarely last more than one round, in fact, I can't think of one that does.  They also get one stance, that is always on.  That is not how buffs, and buffing, works.  Buffs last for longer than one round but shorter than all day, not counting persist, so they benefit greatly from the party choosing when combat starts, and don't benefit as much during ambushes.

If by 'buffs' you mean that the Fighter should be stronger than a mundane person, well yeah, derr.  The only people arguing that the fighter should be 'mundane' and only be able to 'take on a few foes' and only ever hit things with swords one at a time and not have flight or anything useful are the derps, and those, you can safely ignore.

@ Ians;

15/15/12 is meh.  Saving throws in general are meh. There are too many things with 'fuck you' save DCs like DC 42 fort save at CR 12 or DC 27 will save at CR 8.  The fighter needs good saving throws but he also needs other options from his class abilities, like rerolls, full cover as an immediate action, being able to take hit point damage or go prone instead of taking the effect of the failed save, and possibly even a per day/per encounter 'no, fuck you' class ability for failed saves.

That 'huge bonus' that you're worrying about is 50% better than basic magic weapon bonuses.  And guess what!  Fighters DO struggle to hit things at higher levels without stupid amounts of focused magical gear/bullshit like wand-chambered wands of wraithstrike and UMD/emerald razor.  It's a nice way to add a bit of hit and damage, absolve fighters from having to buy stupidly expensive magic weapons, it fits well with fighter flavour, and people are unlikely to go OMG THAT'S OVERPOWERED because it fits fighter fluff and doesn't look overly powerful.

Combining the basic bonuses a fighter should just HAVE with a weapon style sounds utterly fucking stupid.  Also, your 'unarmed' style is actually the 'grappling' style, as it does not help pugilist fighters at all ever in any way.

Your light weapon style gives, at level 5, what the hit and run fighter gives at level 1 and the shadow blade gives at level 1.  In fact, I played a Frog Knight Hit And Run Fighter at level 1, with three feats, martial study, martial stance, and shadow blade.  He was a tiny fey who used a feycraft lance from frogback to stab flat-footed people for double his dex to damage at level 1.  So uh.  Fail.  Think bigger.

At level 8 he needs to be able to not get dazed by a DC 25 dazing blow.  The 'quintessential' fighter save is fort.  He would have, under your system, +6 base fort.  He has massive MAD, cause he's a fighter, so he has 14 Con.  He also has a +1 vest of resistance.  Altogether, that gives him +9.  Most optimized basic fighter 20s will not have better than that.  He has to roll a 16 or better to succeed.  He gets hit multiple times, because I doubt you've given him a better AC even by accident because your idea of a good level 5 ability for a fighter is dex to damage.  He is going to fail that save, and lose his next turn.

Congratulations.  The fighter is now a well of dazed hitpoints whose job is to stand there and hope the monster keeps hitting him and that his friends can wipe it out before his hitpoints run out.  Or, as I like to put it, T5.

Why?  That's shitty design.  Either the buffs will be amazing and push him off the RNG, or he'll need them in order to keep up, and HAVE to use his swift actions each round to keep his attacks or saves or whatever meaningful.  Sounds like a crappy system to me, unless you mean to use it like 'either use my immediate to do <X SPECIAL THING>, or wait til next round and use my swift to make myself basically immune to will saves for a round, decisions decisions' kind of thing, and even that's kind of lame and shit.

@ dark_samuari;

perhaps nominate it be the mundane bad-ass who is really good at fighting a select few enemies through offensive means.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

EVERY.  FUCKING.  CHARACTER.  SHOULD.  BE.  ABLE.  TO.  CONTRIBUTE.  TO.  EVERY.  COMBAT.  DND IS A GAME ABOUT FIGHTING.  IF ONE GUY IS SITTING THERE AND HAS NOTHING TO DO FOR THE HOUR OR SO THAT COMBAT TAKES, THEN HE IS FUCKING NOT PLAYING DND.  IF ONE GUY IS ONLY USEFUL AGAINST ONE SPECIFIC THING AND HAS NOTHING TO DO FOR THE REST OF THE TIME, THEN HE IS NOT FUCKING PLAYING DND.

You want the fighter's flavour to be 'the badass normal'?  SURE.  You want the fighter to be able to specialize in fighting certain kinds of things, like humanoids or giant sized things or flying things due to his choices?  SURE.  You want to make the fighter mechanically weaker than everyone else at the table except against a couple of specific foes so he's more 'mundane'?  FUCK.  RIGHT.  OFF.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:44:26 AM by Rejakor »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #265 on: May 02, 2011, 12:36:14 PM »
Note that for all the talk of chassis improvement. Chassis doesn't matter for tier determination, it just adjusts your placement WITHIN a tier. The wizard has pretty much the worst chassis after all.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Bortasz

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #266 on: May 02, 2011, 12:52:06 PM »
I'm Warblade. I'm boost my self to hit witch extra 100 damage, than i remove curses from me and than boost my speed and AC... O no. I'm don't have any more Maneuvres. What i should do? I know. Full attack. And now what? Evrything from the start one more time.

Soo.... Boost, buff witch ToB it's all the same. They can do this all day long.

Tier 3: Capable of doing one thing quite well, while still being useful when that one thing is inappropriate, or capable of doing all things, but not as well as classes that specialize in that area. Occasionally has a mechanical ability that can solve an encounter, but this is relatively rare and easy to deal with. Can be game breaking only with specific intent to do so.  Challenging such a character takes some thought from the DM, but isn't too difficult. Will outshine any Tier 5s in the party much of the time.

Oki. Start to be serious.

Our problems is to make Fighter be good in fighting (Witch put him in Tier 4) and also he have several abilites to be usefull when fighting is inappropiate. (Witch will be Tier 3)

Fighter should fight. And be good in this section. He isn't, that is first problem.
Fighter is only "good" in fighting, we should give him some extra abilites. That is problem number Two.

I like Action movies where the God guy is kick almost to dead and then raise and kick bad guy asses.
To give Fighter such ability give him Fast heling. No for all the time. But for 1 per day at start.
Start at lvl 3

On higher lvl that ability should be abble to share witch other party members. "Stand up, we must go. / Fight goddammit!"
Start lvl 7

Extraordinary Speed= Haste for 1 round * fighter lvl. The round not must be one after another. 2 lvl fighter can take one at the morning one after dark.
start lvl 5

Feat Specialization start ad 4 lvl witch +2 to damage add another +2 at every 4 lvl (8, 12, 16, 20) Total +10 damage in 20 lvl

Wepon aplitude like Warblade
Start lvl 1

add 2 lvl Fighter have less penalties for using Eguipment without proficient. Add first is just 1 less to penalties. add it's incresing add every second lvl (2,4,8,10.... 18,20)
Add lvl 8 Fighter use any Weapon like he have proficient.

Thets my Ideas for incresing Tier of Fighter
Radical Taoist
[spoiler]It bears saying: if up against a logic-impervious DM who thinks Core is balanced and Psionics*  isn't, then the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). Noncore material will not be necessary unless you are going for pure overkill (Draconic Wildshape? Divine Metamagic?). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions. [/profile]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #267 on: May 02, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »
See, weapon proficiencies shouldn't even take up feat slots or class features. You have a starting list of weapon proficiencies or a list from which you can pick proficiencies, and then if you spend some downtime training with a weapon you become proficient with it. No questions asked. Wizards won't even care, unless they want to be a gish, and the people who actually use weapons will be free of another annoyance. It literally does nothing to game balance.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #268 on: May 02, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »
See, weapon proficiencies shouldn't even take up feat slots or class features. You have a starting list of weapon proficiencies or a list from which you can pick proficiencies, and then if you spend some downtime training with a weapon you become proficient with it. No questions asked. Wizards won't even care, unless they want to be a gish, and the people who actually use weapons will be free of another annoyance. It literally does nothing to game balance.
I prefer the 4e route which folds proficiency in with Weapon Focus, so there's a +2 bonus for proficiency rather than a -4 penalty for non-proficiency. (or +3 for some weapons, though I'm not sure of the logic).
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bortasz

• Email
« Reply #269 on: May 02, 2011, 01:34:28 PM »

You have right.... BUT we here are incresing Tier of Fighter.... not adding sens or logic to D&D ;)
Radical Taoist
[spoiler]It bears saying: if up against a logic-impervious DM who thinks Core is balanced and Psionics*  isn't, then the most powerful way to disprove that is to play a C.o.D. (Cleric or Druid). Noncore material will not be necessary unless you are going for pure overkill (Draconic Wildshape? Divine Metamagic?). So by all means, if you must win that argument, take you C.o.D. to town. Annihilate the opposition. Make the NPCs and other players scream "Oh no, it's C.o.D.zilla!!!!!" in badly dubbed English. Breathe radioactive fire. Knock down buildings. Then stomp out of the burning Tokyo that is the ruins of the game and swim off into the ocean, seeking a DM with some basic cognitive functions. [/profile]

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #270 on: May 02, 2011, 01:40:54 PM »
Bortasz;

Boiling down those ideas.  1/day fast healing, boots of haste as a class feature, +2 damage with specific weapon per 4 fighter levels, proficiencies at level 8.

Yeah, that fighter is T5.  Hell, you could give a regular fighter those abilities and most players wouldn't even NOTICE.

@ proficiencies;

Yeah, thus my suggestion to give the fighter either all exotic weapons/armours or just 3 of his/her choice if people would balk at the fighter being able to use drow emoswords or kaorti ribbon sheep-shearers.  Which you can fluff as the fighter just being able to work out how to use any given weapon he sees due to familiarity with fighting etc but meh.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #271 on: May 02, 2011, 01:49:22 PM »
I prefer the 4e route which folds proficiency in with Weapon Focus, so there's a +2 bonus for proficiency rather than a -4 penalty for non-proficiency. (or +3 for some weapons, though I'm not sure of the logic).
Greater skill curve, I suppose. Presumably being proficient with a club is less impressive than being proficient with a rapier.

Bortasz

• Email
« Reply #272 on: May 02, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »
Nope that Tier 4 Rajakor....

IF now Fighter is strong Tier 5 that witch I propose he will be Tier 4.

And trust me Shield and swords, Two wepon Fighters and Archers will notice that Extra Damage, Extra Attack and Extra Healing. Not Mention Wepon Aplitude wich will give them ability to Change chosen Weapon.

And i said Fast healing 1/day at start... Add 7, 11, 15 and 19 One aditional Use and of course increasing amount of Healing

He will have more Flexibility, more Damage, more self reliance, more power. He will be Tier 4.

And I'm Curious about yours idea of Fighter Tier 3....
Radical Taoist

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #273 on: May 02, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »
He will have more Flexibility, more Damage, more self reliance, more power. He will be Tier 4.

And I'm Curious about yours idea of Fighter Tier 3....
You're giving him limited fast healing (which doesn't do very much in-combat and doesn't do anything outside of combat that a wand of Lesser Vigor doesn't), proficiencies (which doesn't make him any better; he just sucks less when he uses a weapon he doesn't normally use), a Haste ability which he probably would have had anyway through boots or a friendly wizard, and some extra damage which is nice but hardly going to make much of a difference. It doesn't add any non-combat utility, it overlaps with what's likely to be there already...it just doesn't seem like nearly enough to call the fighter on par with a rogue or warlock or whatever.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #274 on: May 02, 2011, 02:27:39 PM »
High-tier fighter = Jack Rakan.

Is this an acceptable goal?

Inner Strength: A fighter has power points per day as a psychic warrior of his fighter level, but does not gain the ability to manifest powers.

Hey, Let Me Try That (Ex): If a fighter succeeds on a Spellcraft check to identify a special attack, he gains the ability to use it himself. Extraordinary abilities can be used normally. In the case of spell-like and supernatural abilities he must pay power points equal to the level at which the special attack was gained by the subject (or the subject's CR in the case of racial abilities). The save DC is based on his own HD and statistics rather than the subject's, and size-based attacks affect targets of the same size relative to the fighter (eg. a Colossal subject with an attack which affects Gargantuan and smaller creatures would grant a Medium fighter the ability to affect Small and smaller creatures). The fighter may permanently retain a number of special attacks equal to his Int modifier, and forgets excess abilities after one minute. A fighter may not copy special attacks from creatures with CRs higher than his fighter level, or those relying on anatomy he does not possess.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:47:57 PM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #275 on: May 02, 2011, 02:41:38 PM »
Inner Strength: A fighter has power points per day as a psychic warrior of his fighter level, but does not gain the ability to manifest powers.

Hey, Let Me Try That (Ex): If a fighter succeeds on a Spellcraft check to identify a special attack, he gains the ability to use it himself. Extraordinary abilities can be used normally. In the case of spell-like and supernatural abilities he manifests it as a psionic power (manifester level equals his fighter level); the pp cost is equal to the level at which the special attack was gained by the subject (or the subject's CR in the case of racial abilities). The fighter may permanently retain a number of special attacks equal to his Int modifier, and forgets excess abilities after one minute. A fighter may not copy special attacks from creatures with CRs higher than his fighter level.
So if I fight the tarrasque, I can steal the ability to swallow Huge creatures?

Eeeeexcellent.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #276 on: May 02, 2011, 02:45:26 PM »

Eeeeexcellent.
You could steal the ability to swallow Tiny creatures, assuming you're Medium.
My work

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #277 on: May 02, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
High-tier fighter = Jack Rakan.

Is this an acceptable goal?
Indeed!
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #278 on: May 02, 2011, 02:47:18 PM »

Eeeeexcellent.
So it doesn't inherit the text of the ability in the creature's entry if there's already a general rule? Fair enough.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: May 02, 2011, 02:49:12 PM »

Eeeeexcellent.
So it doesn't inherit the text of the ability in the creature's entry if there's already a general rule? Fair enough.

Be aware, he can steal Manipulate Form or the Sharn's spellcasting abilities.

Sounds like Jack.

[spoiler][/spoiler]