Author Topic: If Mystic Theurge only needed 1/2 or 2/1 casting, how optimal would it be?  (Read 3767 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Let's assume you plan to go Mystic Theurge under these conditions:

-You can enter with level 2 divine spellcasting & level 1 arcane spellcasting OR level 1 divine spellcasting & level 2 arcane casting.
-No fast casting classes, like Ur-Priest or Beholder Mage.
-All other factors are the same.  You're still probably MAD.

I still may be hard-pressed to use MT with this.  I like my highest level abilities that much.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

AleksanderTheGreat

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Dumbass. o_o
... good for you?
Quote from: Sephirothsword117
Quote from: Solo
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.
I'm inclined to disagree. People work hard on there characters, there personality, back ground, appearance, so forth. No one wants there character that they have invested time, energy, thought, and probably emotion in to be killed because they didn't take strong enough feats or skills or spells or what have you.

Phoenix00

10 levels or 17 levels of mystic theurge?  It doesn't matter prior to level 13 but for level 15 or higher it kinda does.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
What are the differences between capping MT at 10 and 16?

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
A pretty standard build is Druid 3/Wizard 1/Mystic Theurge 4/Arcane Heirophant 10/ Mystic Theurge 2.

Level 19 Druid Casting
Level 17 Wizard Casting (Dual 9's)
Level 13 Wildshape
Level 13 Animal Companion
No arcane spell failure in light and medium armor not made of metal.
BAB of 12

I think the additional mystic theurge level comments is more about continued dual progression.  Once you stop dual progressing the one caster class just stops dead.  Arcane Heirophant fixes this by adding another dual progression class.  Epic progression should continue through arcane heirophant because the official epic progression for mystic theurge only progresses on class.

You can also go cleric/dreadnecro/mystic theurge/True Necromancer.  Not as powerful, but very thematic.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Archivist Cleric 1/Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 10 >> Sorcerer 14
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Phrenic Necropolitan Human (Spellstiched) Sorcerer 2/Favored Soul 1/Mystic Theurge 10

THIS
IS
SPARTA CHARISMA
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
For the case of the Arcane Heirophant, it makes it a little sweeter. Unlike the straight MT, it actually has class features, and you end up with a buffed to high hell off of two lists intelligent bodyguard pet via share spells.

For a straight MT, you enjoy being buffed off of two lists. However, your action potency is most likely less than that of someone with high level class abilities.

Ikeren

• Email
Wizard 2/Archivist 1/MT 10/XXX (Incantatrix 7) = Wizard 19+Archivist 11, which may barely be acceptable on a good day.
Wizard 2/Archivist 1/MT 17 = Wizard 19+Archivist 18, which probably is worth it. You could be blowing spell slots on persists, quickens all over the place and still have lots of 7th-9th slots left.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
The point is to have at least level 2 spells in one class and level 1 spells in another.

Speaking of which:

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
The point is to have at least level 2 spells in one class and level 1 spells in another.
So, Precocious Apprentice, eh?
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
Phrenic Necropolitan Human (Spellstiched) Sorcerer 2/Favored Soul 1/Mystic Theurge 10

THIS
IS
SPARTA CHARISMA

Replace Phrenic Necropolitan human with Sharn and you got my attention.

So, Precocious Apprentice, eh?

I like versatile spell caster better if you are going Dreadnecro/Cleric.

Ikeren

• Email

Shit sorry, I thought you were talking about character levels, not spell levels.
If it's spell levels, cheese past it, otherwise I'd say no, not worth it to go (Wiz3/Arch 1 or Arch 3/Wiz1).

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
I think it still wouldn't be the best choice for most characters, but it would certainly be more viable than the current version, and maybe that's what should be aimed for.  For example, I'd take a 1 CL hit to enter mystic theurge if I was in a small group and thought it would cover an important role we were missing.

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email

THIS
IS
SPARTA CHARISMA

Replace Phrenic Necropolitan human with Sharn and you got my attention.
Sharn?  I thought that was a city.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
It is in Eberron. In Faerun it is a monster. The newest, I think, version is in Anauroch - The Empire of Shade.

Handy Links

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
You love them houserules to make casters stronger huh?

MT theurge already is optimal. It's a loss of 1 CL for +11 to another list. Go arcane hierophant for duals with little work and no faster casters.

The "problem" is that there are so many even stronger PrCs like incantrix, so being nearly wiz20//druid20 starts to look weak.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
The "problem" is that there are so many even stronger PrCs like incantrix, so being nearly wiz20//druid20 starts to look weak.

Though using unbalanced PrCs as a baseline for what is power-appropriate doesn't seem right either. Houseruling MT up to the level of Planar Shepherd, Shadowcraft Mage, Incantrix or the like is basically saying - pun intended - "Please Break My Campaign."
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
I think a house rule like this would put the MT pretty close in power to the Ultimate Magus or some of the invocation-user dual-progression classes-- good enough to consider for an optimized build but not so good that it becomes a reflexive response to an unconstrained optimization request.  (It grants better spellcasting progression then UM but lacks class features, which probably comes close to balancing out.)

However, with rapid-progression classes like Ur-Priest and Sublime Chord, I have to wonder if a change like this is really necessary.