Author Topic: Net and Trident  (Read 2318 times)

rosarius

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Net and Trident
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:43:32 PM »
Hello there,

I'm new to this forum, it's my first post, so be gentle ;)
I tried to work around a feat named "Net and Trident" (CW) which allows me to throw my Net and full attack with my Trident. It has some bad requirements and I know it's probably not worth it, but I like the concept !

Here's the build. It's focused around being able to move 5 feets, throw my Net, mov 5 feets (so it's 10 feets in total, which allows me to squirmish) and take a full attack, all during a single AoO. It also has a good mobility and some awesome AoO stuff. It certainly is a pretty weak build, between tiers 5 and tiers 4.

Scout 1 ExWP (net), Weapon focus (trident), combat reflexes, Jotunbrund
Scout 2
Scout 3 Hold the line
Scout 4 Dodge
Swashbuckler 1 Weapon Finesse
Ranger 1 Karmic Strike
Ranger 2 TWF
Fighter 1 Net and Trident
Fighter 2 Stand Still, Mobility
Ranger 3 Endurance
Ranger 4
Ranger 5 Sidestep
Ranger 6 ITWF
Ranger 7
Ranger 8 Robilar's Gambit
Ranger 9
Ranger 10
Ranger 11 GTWF, Swift Hunter
Ranger 12
Ranger 13

What can I do to enhance it? And what's the point of TWF here? It seemed me very clear before I did the build but now... I just forgot WHY I took it (I'm probably getting old). My DM allows me every book, but no Dark Shuffle and no infinite loop whatsoever.

Thanks in advance and excuse my english ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:46:08 PM by rosarius »

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: Net and Trident
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:59:09 PM »
How about the concept of chucking spears into your target? Master Thrower + Returning Harpoons.

Anyway, Sandstorm has a Whip of Webs. It's a +2 whip that auto entangles targets as a touch attack for around 10k.

It means you can rip the Of Webs part out of it for less than 2k and apply it to any weapon. Like your Trident thus skipping the buy multiple nets and worry about folding them part or maybe on a harpoon (see above).
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:21:15 PM »
Net and Trident
You are a master of fighting with the net and the trident, and have learned to quickly follow up a successful net throw with a deadly jab of the trident.
Prerequisite: Dex 15, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (net), Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (trident).
Benefit: As a full-round action, you can make a combined attack with your net and trident. First, you throw your net; if you hit and successfully control your foe by winning the opposed Strength check, you may immediately take a 5-foot step toward your opponent and make a full attack with your trident.
Gloves of the Balanced Hand (Magic Item Compendium) grant TWF as a bonus feat, or upgrade your existing TWF by one stage. You only need the base TWF here - the others grant you no benefit.

One interesting combo would be with bloodstorm blade, allowing you to throw your net great distances and make a ranged full attack with your trident.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:42:50 AM »
Looks like he's getting the TWF chain free from Ranger, though.  (And the gloves have no effect if you have Improved TWF.)

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Can you use an alchemical capsule/compartment in the trident/spear to deploy tanglefoot bag goo on a hit? Might be a way to add even more entangling with the first attack at least.

Arz

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »
Might also want to check out waverider from SS. Good dip for ride-by-attack. Also the combat formation feat is useable w/ trident.

I believe you have to get your 10' in before the attack and it is often beneficial to stay in a clinch with a foe tactically to grab AoO.

Jotunbrud, Karmic Strike and swashbuckler seem of questionable utility for your shtick

Rejakor

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 02:50:57 PM »
How are you getting a full attack from the AoO?

The Trident and Net feat requires a full-round action.

Also, build seems a little schizo.  Why are the feats in that order?  Why Jotunbrud?  You need Str for the opposed Str check for net-controlling, but you seem to be aiming towards a Dex focus?  Why are you two-weapon fighting?  With oversized TWF you could possibly wield a trident in two hands, and with quickdraw you could use two tridents... really badly?

What is swashbuckler doing in the build?

Unless you're only planning to play this at level 20, Swift Hunter should probably be a hell of a lot earlier than 17th level.

Take Tactical Soldier 2 from the miniHB - it gets sidestep without having to take dodge and mobility.  Alternatively, there's a way to take 5' step INSTEAD of an AoO somewhere.

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:50:57 PM »
Alternatively, there's a way to take 5' step INSTEAD of an AoO somewhere.
Evasive Reflexes feat from ToB.  (Also counts as Combat Reflexes for feat prereqs.)