Author Topic: Interested in being a mod?  (Read 20788 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Interested in being a mod?
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2011, 08:35:56 AM »
No offense, but you obviously don't understand how the mods work on this forum. 

+1.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2011, 09:09:56 PM »
(sad kitty)
This guy, right here. Seriously. He's always A) on-topic B) helpful C) pleasurable to read

On the list? Mmm Tshern and/or Sinfire. Its a shame NGDBSS doesn't haunt here more (he likes enworld) or I'd nominate him. Obviously no one from GitP lasts long if they are half a decent person.

I live at Min/max. I only come out when following prime's links (which is the only reason I am here). But I would say if min/max needs another psuedo mod, I'll throw my hat in the mix for a revised 'handbooks'-type subforum. I do lots of community resources and I feel like I am the only one with the drive and the consistency to pull them all together in a way that doesn't get buried. This would only require a single mod power once the new subforum is made which would be moving things in from within min/max. It would be helpful for archive purposes to be able to edit threads once inside, but if I don't warrant that level of trust then I suppose it isn't necessary.

I suppose I could simple quote things and import them into other boards where I'm a mod, but that defeats the whole purpose of helping out the community. Sorry if I seem out in left field over here but I don't follow the podcasts and have little reason to stray from min/max.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »
I live at Min/max. I only come out when following prime's links (which is the only reason I am here). But I would say if min/max needs another psuedo mod, I'll throw my hat in the mix for a revised 'handbooks'-type subforum. I do lots of community resources and I feel like I am the only one with the drive and the consistency to pull them all together in a way that doesn't get buried. This would only require a single mod power once the new subforum is made which would be moving things in from within min/max. It would be helpful for archive purposes to be able to edit threads once inside, but if I don't warrant that level of trust then I suppose it isn't necessary.
I still don't get why you can't just put "'handbooks'-type resources" in the handbooks section. ??? Then there's Tshern's stickied Handy Links, which even contains a list of handbooks. If you're worried about something getting buried then post it there. Would it help if the Handbooks section was renamed?

Linking your other post on this for convenience: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10375.msg425815#msg425815

And mods aren't allowed to edit posts, other than stickies posted by other mods. Copyright issues. That's why there have been a few shared accounts like Handbook_Writer and ArenaManager.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:58:02 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2011, 09:43:33 PM »
And mods aren't allowed to edit posts, other than stickies posted by other mods. Copyright issues. That's why there have been a few shared accounts like Handbook_Writer and ArenaManager.
In case that has been forgotten, I have the password to the former...

Handy Links

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2011, 12:41:20 AM »
I still don't get why you can't just put "'handbooks'-type resources" in the handbooks section. ??? Then there's Tshern's stickied Handy Links, which even contains a list of handbooks. If you're worried about something getting buried then post it there. Would it help if the Handbooks section was renamed?
I like handbooks. Granted its unorthodox, but I have one. I like the idea of a thread where you rate one kind of thing to build for a character.

The stickied threads are in my opinion the hold-over from 339.

Granted I see a lot of the world differently than people nowadays, but I am still convinced that a lot of the thread meta-resources (where you go to look up lists) is different enough from where you go to get ideas for an archivist's abilities.

I suppose if I'm just barking at the moon I can do the work over at another forum, I just didn't want to cross-pollinate forums.

And mods aren't allowed to edit posts, other than stickies posted by other mods. Copyright issues.
This is a good thing then. Of course much better than gitp.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2011, 12:52:02 AM »
Oh, just noticed something PlzBreakMyCampaign: Despite the poll, I am not really running to be a mod.

Handy Links

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »
I assume everyone has gotten their PMs about this?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2011, 03:02:50 PM »
I have, and presumably veekie has too. All of us were in the recipients header of the PM, so he should have.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2011, 04:19:27 PM »
The best course of action would be to divy up the boards into groups and have each of us pick a group to patrol relentlessly moderate.

So, who wants to be on damage control for the BLYHT section?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »
The best course of action would be to divy up the boards into groups and have each of us pick a group to patrol relentlessly moderate.
Pretty much, yeah. For one, veekie heavily favors the homebrew section(s), so it'd make sense to put him in charge of that.

So, who wants to be on damage control for the BLYHT section?
lalalalala can't hear you
Just kidding, I dunno. With BYLHT being a bit of a special case, it seems to me like it would be worth considering making it a sort of general board, so that whoever has the least headache already at the moment can step in if it's necessary, rather than sticking a single guy with the job.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2011, 06:06:40 PM »
I think I can handle the Play Like You Have To section.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2011, 07:14:14 PM »
Got the PM yeah.

I spend most of my time on Homebrew, GM Gameology and Deliberations to start with, so those are natural areas. The Kitchen Sink and Inspiration Strikes might warrant a look as well, those are low traffic, but I do keep some track of them. For the most part these areas are moderation light, excepting the occasional move/stickying.

BLYHT would need a combined effort, I think, else it'd be cruel and unusual duty for any one guy to be monitoring that.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »
I'll try to help by reporting.  ;)
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »
The point of this was for you guys to talk about it through PM, not here!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2011, 07:53:20 PM »
Sorry.  :(
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2011, 08:29:32 PM »
Ooops.
Better idea: SFT, do you have AIM? seems like it would be easiest to get everyone together on an instant messenger than arranging PMs and having some gotten lost when we forget to address them to everyone and whatnot.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2011, 10:42:29 PM »

lol
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2011, 10:50:45 PM »
Let's just keep everything in moderation.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2011, 12:22:52 AM »
Ooops.
Better idea: SFT, do you have AIM? seems like it would be easiest to get everyone together on an instant messenger than arranging PMs and having some gotten lost when we forget to address them to everyone and whatnot.

Yes. What time? I will be online for another hour or so today.

Sorry.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2011, 04:16:39 AM »
AIM works out, ID is Veekie4, just drop a message with who you are and I'll add ya.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."