Author Topic: Interested in being a mod?  (Read 20790 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Interested in being a mod?
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 02:00:04 AM »
I think just 1 more is good. Dan2 is around occasionally and Chris pops in too- I don't want to overmod it.

If it came down to a tie or close, first of all I'd want to make sure the people involved are interested (so if you aren't, speak up) and then either vote off or do something where 1 is it for a month and then the other... Or for certain boards- I don't want to punch a gift horse in the mouth...
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:02 AM »
I think just 1 more is good. Dan2 is around occasionally and Chris pops in too- I don't want to overmod it.

If it came down to a tie or close, first of all I'd want to make sure the people involved are interested (so if you aren't, speak up) and then either vote off or do something where 1 is it for a month and then the other... Or for certain boards- I don't want to punch a gift horse in the mouth...

Unless you're from Troy. ;)
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2011, 04:39:16 AM »
Were it this time last year I would have loved to help out. Alas, work and thesis and more work and mortage payments and copious amounts of snu snu take up much of my time these days. Best of luck to the guys who take the job though. I don't envy the extra responsibility.  :clap

I would've loved to have had you :( 

and what about me? *Sniffles*
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2011, 06:34:48 AM »
All right, fine. Sign me up Meg.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 09:33:55 AM »
It requires whatever you'd put into it. It would be best to be available for a period of time regularly so if something important comes up, you're available to jump in and help.  So someone who only can get online on weekends for example probably isn't best.  But it's not like you have to be on all the time- you need to know what's going on, who's who, and be able to make good, informed decisions.

So if you're interested, let us know how often you come on and about how much time you are here as it is. I would only add 1ish hour total per week to that number honestly.

Prime- what would you say?
Cool.  I'm on most days.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2011, 10:06:59 AM »
Of that list I would probably cast my vote to either RobbyPants or veekie. Slightly leaning towards veekie, because I know him better. No offense to any other candidate.

Out of curiosity, is this new moderator going to be an all-around one or will he only look after a certain board?

Handy Links

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2011, 12:13:32 PM »
I think general purpose, we don't need that much added moderation in particular boards, PbP only needed a mod because theres regular subforum opening/moving going on and every now and then one of Endarire's threads in Min-Max really should go in Deliberations.

Thats about it for regular mod duties. Other than reports, which I dunno about.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Nick

• King Kong
  • Cheese plz?
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »
Guys on the list are all good blokes. But my votes go to Sinfire, Agita and Veekie due to interacting with them more often.
"You'll still be living in caves."
"Hell I don't mind that."
[spoiler][/spoiler]
befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2011, 03:23:52 PM »
when it comes to moderation, you really cant get enough.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2011, 05:58:08 PM »
when it comes to moderation, you really cant get enough.
Well played.

Handy Links

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2011, 02:10:35 AM »
I don't frequent this forums that much; but I have come to respect SinFire Titan, Agita and Veekie so my vote goes to them.

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2011, 05:21:55 PM »
Out of curiosity, is this new moderator going to be an all-around one or will he only look after a certain board?

It could go either way. What would you all like?

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2011, 05:26:59 PM »
I could go either way.  If you end up with multiple mods, you can always put several in charge of different boards.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »
All around I think, we don't have that much activity that we really need a dedicated mod to subareas. The only areas with such levels of activity are Min-max and PbP.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2011, 10:03:09 PM »
All around I think, we don't have that much activity that we really need a dedicated mod to subareas. The only areas with such levels of activity are Min-max and PbP.

I'll do what I can around Min/Max since I'm there 90% of my time.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2011, 11:51:49 PM »

Personally I would say an all-around one would be a good choice. We don't have that many moderators around and it would rid us of possible toe-stepping. Now when I think of it, there are only two boards, the one for whining and the one for PbPs, that actually require moderation at any rate.

In any case, I would volunteer simply, because I have time and experience about moderation, but I think someone, who is not quite as disrespected should definitely pick up the mantle! (Go veekie)

Handy Links

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2011, 12:49:15 AM »

Personally I would say an all-around one would be a good choice. We don't have that many moderators around and it would rid us of possible toe-stepping. Now when I think of it, there are only two boards, the one for whining and the one for PbPs, that actually require moderation at any rate.

In any case, I would volunteer simply, because I have time and experience about moderation, but I think someone, who is not quite as disrespected should definitely pick up the mantle! (Go veekie)

Well, there are those few times when the debates spread into the Homebrew/DnD Deliberations forum, but that was back when we had the Logic Fail threads going.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2011, 03:06:38 AM »
Well, every now and then some people get it into their heads that you can be playing D&D wrong. :P

Which you can of course, but the key part is if the players enjoyed it.Thats the right and wrong of it.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2011, 12:06:02 PM »
The other side of moderation, the one that is probably even more important, is to have someone who I fully trust and I know has our back.  I'd be setting the person up with some power that is fairly hefty, and of course it's in my head that if the person is a wacka-doo, they could really fuck us over. 

So of the nominees, could you all send me a PM first of all to say if you're interested (some posted here already, but still send the PM) and talk to me about your trustworthiness. 

I also want someone who is a "culture" fit- in any operation, personality fit is almost more important than skill set in terms of a working relationship.  So talk to me about that too.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »
No option to change your votes means Tshern won't get any votes...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]