Author Topic: Low level City Wizard vs Assassin Death Attack?  (Read 6912 times)

kremti

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Low level City Wizard vs Assassin Death Attack?
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2011, 12:57:10 PM »
And by that he means STOP EXPLAINING THE JOKE.
desole  but I wasn't sure the pun was ubiquitous.
NEVER explain the joke.  Completely ruins it.

-K

mthor

• Email
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2011, 05:42:28 PM »
Oh yes and Mr. Foxx.... Thread= hijacked
Back on topic.
To summarize 5 ways of getting rid of pesky assassins:
1. Misdirection: illusions, doubles, and being to sneaky to be found. Image spells, invisibility, actors.
2. avoiding assassination attacks: make self invulnerable to sneak attack and poison. Warforged, Necropolitan, spells.
3. Not pissing people off in the first place.
4. Having back up.  Whats an adventuring party for anyway?
5. Low level divination: these generally either suck, aren't core, or aren't wizard.  You could find them though.
The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now. :P

Whisper

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2011, 06:16:32 PM »
Go read the Larry Niven story "What Good is a Glass Dagger?"

All done? Good. Now you know the answer.

A wizard who is struck at with an assassin death attack has already failed to use proper wizard tactics. A wizard thrives by embracing Preparation, Prevention, and Preemption.

He knows who his enemies are. He knows what they will probably try. He does something proactively to prevent it.

A low to mid level wizard isn't powerful like an invading army. He's powerful like a mob boss who has a few loyal and ruthless thugs working for him, and knows where you live and where your daughter goes to school.

What your assassin stabbed at the fruit seller's stall on high street was a construct or summoning disguised with an illusion. Meanwhile, the wizard has divined where you're hiding, has your wife locked in a cell, and something that looks exactly like you has assaulted the head of the local thieves' cartel in broad daylight and then run away.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »
What your assassin stabbed at the fruit seller's stall on high street was a construct or summoning disguised with an illusion. Meanwhile, the wizard has divined where you're hiding, has your wife locked in a cell, and something that looks exactly like you has assaulted the head of the local thieves' cartel in broad daylight and then run away.
Way to devolve the thread into "You can't kill the TO Wizard".

A. Due to your conformity, the impulse based knee jerk you had not to post anything useful you missed the whole low level part.
B. Immunity to divinations is LA+1 and can be bought off at level 6, same time as obtaining Death Attack. The wizard doesn't even get Scry yet.
C. Assassins in Assassin's Creed lack wives. I find that to be as creditable as the antihero secret spy assassins in movies.
D. "Mr Deadly, for 8 years you have been our most secret, loyal, and deadly assassin. I find it illogical for you do be so sloppy and to attack our headmaster. The timing on this is strange too, immediately after the kill order of an illusionist was sent to you this happened. I'm assigning more men to this task but for now I'm going to abuse my generic position of I'm-rich-screw-WBL and pull a +30 Sense Motive ring out and question the hell out of you."

Now. Reread the 1st post please.
So let's say I have a relatively low level NON Abrupt Jaunt Wizard who has to be active in going about his business in a city, and interacting with folk fairly regularly.  Lets assume that, for whatever reason, his actions piss people off. People who send assassins who look like normal folk, whose modus operandi is to study said Wizard for three rounds while that wizard is buying peaches or something and then do their Death Attack thing.

What are the best ways for a relatively low level wizard to NOT DIE to assassination attempts where he likely doesn't even see it coming?

Side stepping the verbal bash down of the extremist there. You could rule some warning is given. If the wizard has friends in low places, maybe they will offer a tip about hearing someone being mad enough to do something his way. Always nice to scratch the back of a favor returning wizard if you know what I mean.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »
I think the far more reasonable move here is that if the Wizard has done something bad enough to piss off folks enough to send assassins, he's also probably smart enough to realize that there's at least some danger.  At which point he hires a Commoner 1 to go do all his fruit buying for him, and just makes use of Detect Poison on the now purchased food to stay safe.  He might also consider investing in a Permanent Magic Circle Against Evil for his doorway and make the Commoner walk over that every time he comes home, as this will hedge out would be disguised assassins.  Remember, Commoners demand a wage of around 1cp per day.  It's not like rich people hadn't been doing this sort of thing since time immemorial, and even a 5th level Wizard is really wealthy.

Or, you know, the Necropolitan thing.  That does stop all this.

JaronK

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2011, 08:59:45 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Magic Circle only hedges out summoned creatures.  It might not hurt to try a Detect Evil, but there are ways around that.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2011, 01:39:13 PM »
Just FYI, what he's doing is trying to jump start the Tippyverse.

See this for what I have planned so far:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11768

And let anyone with a bowl walk through the thing for free, and sell bowls for a copper in front of it, just enough to cover costs.

That's gonna piss some people off.  Farmers trying to sell produce, merchants, anyone who doesn't want a disruption to society, etc.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:15:10 PM by Gavinfoxx »
BG's other resident furry!

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2011, 09:47:48 PM »
Why sell bowls?  Put a Psionic Minor Creation trap in the front that makes wooden bowls.  Sure, they disappear after an hour, but that's plenty of time to eat your soup.

If you're making a post-scarcity economy, there's no reason to sell anything.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2011, 09:53:31 PM »
Why sell bowls?  Put a Psionic Minor Creation trap in the front that makes wooden bowls.  Sure, they disappear after an hour, but that's plenty of time to eat your soup.

If you're making a post-scarcity economy, there's no reason to sell anything.

Cause you'd need Minor Creation and at least Wood Shape... and bowls are cheap, and people will start bringing them after a bit.  It seems superfluous.

Also, the 'creating a true post scarcity economy' comes after this thing is built, when I get the Noble Djinn Simulacrums working.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:56:03 PM by Gavinfoxx »
BG's other resident furry!