Author Topic: Incest  (Read 59142 times)

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
Re: Incest
« Reply #160 on: July 04, 2008, 06:42:06 PM »
Scientists cite how the offspring of 2 blood-related parents has a higher chance of suffering from birth defects. [...] Likewise, there is no legislation prohibiting people with hereditary health problems or birth defects from procreating, which seems to smack of double standards.

Scientists are not the ones creating and passing bills, even if they have some influence.
Also, just because someone has a defect does not mean they will pass it on (even if it is likely). To compare inbreeding with the procreation of those with defects is like comparing apples and oranges. They're both fruit, but they're quite different.

Also, having your "tubes tied" only has a 90% efficiency (that is, it is 90% likely to prevent a pregnancy). A vasectomy has a 99.7% success. Condoms, of course, for a variety of reasons, can be unreliable.

I'm not arguing for or against "incest" (myself not having quite formed a stance just yet), but merely putting forth some relevant information and playing devil's advocate, as always.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: July 04, 2008, 06:46:34 PM »

Just as an idea, what would people feel about incest if two siblings without genetic defects bred? No lethal mutations and your selecting for whatever positive traits both share.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: July 04, 2008, 06:48:59 PM »
You have to recall that their recessive traits might surface and those recessive traits may be defective. There's really no such thing as safe sex (even between unrelated people). But "dangerous sex" sounds so hot.  :smirk
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2008, 07:16:29 AM »
I dated this one girl.  After we broke up, she started screwing her first cousin.

In real life.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2008, 02:25:15 PM »
Wow, let's hope she didn't get pregnant.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2008, 06:16:58 PM »
I dated this one girl.  After we broke up, she started screwing her first cousin.

In real life.
Don't know if its been said, but apparently the anti-incest laws are generally only valid if the cousin is on the father's side. If she is screwing a first cousin from the mother's side, she is fine...

Vindiction7

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2008, 03:55:57 PM »
Incest is very common in noble lines interested in "keeping the blood pure."

It's actually worth noting that incest doesn't necessarily result in "warped mutants" or cause bad traits to rise up.  It actually just causes recessive traits to appear more often.  Recessive traits can range from "increased intelligence" to "hemophilia."  So... it can be a mixed blessing, rather than the straight up curse many make it out to be in modern society.

Skara Brae

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2008, 07:43:14 PM »
Wow, let's hope she didn't get pregnant.
Actually, a number of cultures have endogamous marriage rules wherein the preferred marriage partner is a cross-cousin.  To my knowledge, they don't have a higher rate of genetic defects than other cultures.

Basically, from my limited understanding, the genetic problems start to crop up when you have relations with relatives closer than first cousins. (I don't know about non-cross-cousins.)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2008, 03:01:12 AM »
In roleplaying though, incest is a trait, a hook, or a random event (more on that). As a trait, a character has a non-platonic relationship with a relative, normally a sibling in fantasy. As a hook, a character has had a child with a relative (brother and sister or father and daughter in most cases) and the child is of enough importance to merit adventure. As a random event, it normally does not involve the PCs and is just weird or disturbing. If you are cruel enough and want to stop a sex-obsess player, that young barmaid he just slept with was his sister (he just didn't know it). Incest as a random event should be kept to a minimum. Incest as a trait or hook can be used within the players limits. Incest is a hard subject and should be handled delicately to avoid offending any players.

In my group, it depends on which DM we're talking about. We have one DM who is generally known for being, shall we say, "inspired" about such subjects. Were it I or another DM bringing up the subject, the players would probably look at us funny. In the case of this particular DM, they just go 'meh'.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2008, 03:43:22 PM »
It actually just causes recessive traits to appear more often.  Recessive traits can range from "increased intelligence" to "hemophilia."  So... it can be a mixed blessing, rather than the straight up curse many make it out to be in modern society.
Increased intelligence is recessive?
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2008, 04:16:55 PM »
It actually just causes recessive traits to appear more often.  Recessive traits can range from "increased intelligence" to "hemophilia."  So... it can be a mixed blessing, rather than the straight up curse many make it out to be in modern society.

Given my family, I'd say yes. 2 out of at least 20 is pretty low.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2008, 05:43:35 AM »
The concern is rare recessive traits.  Traits like blue eyes or heightened intellect are found all over the gene pool.  Rare recessives like Albinism are the problem.  Albinos are found occasionally in natural pairings, but if you have the gene and you mate with your family  member the chances are significant that the child will be an albino. 

Of course intelligence is not one gene like albinism or certain types of dwarfism.  So inbreeding geniuses is not particularly effective.

And yes first cousins are a concern.  If you have a recessive disease they have a 1 in 16 chance of having it. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #172 on: July 29, 2008, 06:26:44 AM »
Think about it. It takes dual recessives to get the condition. That possibility gets rarer and rarer as the generations roll on.

Now look at the intelligence of the average human around you... :P

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: July 29, 2008, 04:26:13 PM »
Think about it. It takes dual recessives to get the condition. That possibility gets rarer and rarer as the generations roll on.

Now look at the intelligence of the average human around you... :P
I actually have to say that the decreasing average intelligence is natural selection.  Dumb people fuck like rabbits and let welfare pick up the bill.  Smart people don't.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #174 on: July 29, 2008, 04:50:13 PM »
There needs to be a spell like Circle of Death. Except instead of being HD dependent, it should be Intelligence dependent. Here is a find and replace to demonstrate:

Should probably have a larger range to be practical though. What's the epic rules for a spell that'd cover the world?

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2008, 07:42:16 PM »
Should probably have a larger range to be practical though. What's the epic rules for a spell that'd cover the world?

Meh, whatever god of magic there is would forbid it. Best thing about being a Wizard is flaunting how smart you are!

...Besides, if you kill all the stupid people in the world, who's going to be your meatshield?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2008, 07:47:04 PM »

Meh, whatever god of magic there is would forbid it. Best thing about being a Wizard is flaunting how smart you are!

...Besides, if you kill all the stupid people in the world, who's going to be your meatshield?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm

(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9...)

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2008, 10:48:48 PM »
500 gp.
So expensive though.

Casting Suggestion 'read this' is better.

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2008, 11:44:10 PM »
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm

(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9...)

...Nevermind. I gotta go craft a spell.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Sirperry

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Pbbbbth !
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2008, 01:39:14 AM »
I dated this one girl.  After we broke up, she started screwing her first cousin.  In real life.

So ?  There is actually very little genetic risk for cousins.  Don't believe me ?  Try this:

http://www.washington.edu/newsroom/news/2002archive/04-02archive/k040302a.html

BTW, it is legal in 20 of the 50 states for first cousins to wed. 

So you CAN go the family reunion to pick of women !
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:41:53 AM by Sirperry »
There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch