Author Topic: What is the most cost/xp efficient way to do lots of long range communication?  (Read 4103 times)

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew what the best items (or spells) were for large scale, long range communication, in 3.5e? Like if you have to get messages accross hundreds of miles, what's the best way to enable that capability for a kingdom?

Does anyone have a compilation of long range communication gear in 3.5e?
BG's other resident furry!

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
clairvoyance w/ caster level shenanigans

plain old scrying, done at both ends.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
I did some searching, which of these is the best option?

Aspect Mirror, Complete Scoundrel
Mirrors of Communication, Dragon Magazine #327.
Sending Stones, magic item compendium

Edit: Whispering Flame and Speaking Stones don't seem to work; they don't last forever
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:38:30 PM by Gavinfoxx »

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Dancing Lights relay morse towers? :P
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
I did some searching, which of these is the best option?

Aspect Mirror, Complete Scoundrel
Mirrors of Communication, Dragon Magazine #327.
Sending Stones, magic item compendium
Eternal wands of Whispering Flame, combine Magic Item Compendium & the spell from Five Nations.

There's a ring in the MiC that has a long-range communication ability. Unlimited as long as everyone is wearing the attuned rings.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
Spell Weavers (MMII) can communicate with each other telepathically at a range of 1,000 miles.  Hire / Enslave / Thrall / Cohort / Etc. two (or more) of them and you're set.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
This is to be large scale. REALLY large scale.  Like equipping an entire nation and her fleets (plural!) with magical radios kind of large scale... so yea.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
In that case Dancing Lights and spyglasses on signal towers with morse code probably should be the cheapest magically speaking.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
In that case Dancing Lights and spyglasses on signal towers with morse code probably should be the cheapest magically speaking.

That doesn't get Beyond the Horizon communication unless you have a string of towers, or a bunch of ships stretching from one place to another....

veekie

• Organ Grinder
Yeah, but its cheap and you can have relays make up the gaps and since its cheap per unit you can make quite a lot of them. The more magical options have difficulties when upscaling because of cost explosion, this just has a fixed cost per distance.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing

That doesn't get Beyond the Horizon communication unless you have a string of towers, or a bunch of ships stretching from one place to another....
Been done.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
is scrying that hard? or well, scrying and a couple chalk boards.

Anim-manga sux.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Oh yeah, drow house insignia (transmitting)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
A Thrallherd with Thrallherds who have yet more Thrallherds as Thralls could set up a Mindlink network that encompasses an entire kingdom.

It could be done with just Thralls, but if the Believers are also Telepath Psions, or psionic creatures granted Mindlink through Psychic Chirurgery then the total number of Thrallherds required is diminished.

Since the Thralls and Believers are absolutely loyal to their Thrallherd, the Master Thrallherd could, for example, issue a cascading command that every Thrall and Believer strap themselves to the top of poles spaced 25 feet + 5 feet/level distant from the next Thrall or Believer.

Voila! Telephone poles!

CrimsonDeath

• Curious George
    • Email
How about drum towers?  Those don't even have to be magic or rely on line of sight.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
Bigger signal distortion and less bandwidth(you can modulate colors and generate simple patterns) though. Light based transmissions go further and you only really need towers proper if you want them to be defensible or if the place is wooded. You can have someone cast the spell into the sky while on the ground.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
    • Altpersona.net
ok, here it is,

leadership + abuse

followers, fans, thralls come one come all.

er'r body line up, use your free action to pass this note to the guy next to you.

just keep your congo line in tact and you have zero cost instant relay communication. use giants for harsh terrain.

Anim-manga sux.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
It's possible characters with the lucid dreaming skill could pass messages to anyone in the planes if they can determine when the other person is dreaming and make a dc 25 or less check. Depending on where in the plane of dreams they are.

Not great for instant communication, but useful for time intensive messages. 1 min in the real world is 10 in the dream realm.

I planned to have an apprentice/master character do his training using this method. Called him the sandman.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
It's possible characters with the lucid dreaming skill could pass messages to anyone in the planes if they can determine when the other person is dreaming and make a dc 25 or less check. Depending on where in the plane of dreams they are.

Not great for instant communication, but useful for time intensive messages. 1 min in the real world is 10 in the dream realm.

I planned to have an apprentice/master character do his training using this method. Called him the sandman.
Lucid Dreaming is one of those skills that no one's ever heard of that just happens to be so goddamn useful. Gotta love it.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ikeren

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Sending stones are relatively cheap and convenient. If you need to network a large number of people, you have a "hub" or "centre" which then relays all the messages.