Author Topic: befriending desert people  (Read 1074 times)

braininthejar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
befriending desert people
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:53:53 PM »
Ok, continuing from the brainstorming thread above, now I have a specific problem.

During their travel through the desert, the party saves a young whisper gnome. He takes them home and they almost get shot by the guards.

As it turns out, the gnomes have a hidden village in some rocks in the desert, with some caves below. Being very light and silent, they can keep an enclave here, despite some very-much-unfriendly neighbours, because they are able to move around without attracting the local sand worms. The party needs to get their help to get the caravan through (after the previous adventure they are in too much of a hurry to get around the whole area) but the gnomes are very uncomfortable with the idea of any foreigners as much as knowing of their existance.

However, there is a female gnome in the party, a rogue 4 wizard 1 with some locksmith skills and plenty of cunning. How could she help the gnomes / what kind of test could they put before her to allow her to become a honorary member of the tribe? Marriage is out of the question I am afraid ;)

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
Re: befriending desert people
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:48:47 AM »
There's always a quest to find an ancient relic of the clan rumored to be able to provide all the fresh water the tribe could ever need. (Decanter of Endless Water)

Or if you're following a Dune like storyline perhaps a raid to capture some larval sandworms for use in a ritual to produce a very important material component for the tribe's shaman. (Water of Life, used for divination magics)

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:48:31 AM »
Well, I suppose she could try and find some peyote for a vision quest.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 02:22:26 AM »
generally, they will want something to make their lives easier and/or safer somehow. go from there.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine