Author Topic: Monk Help  (Read 8183 times)

Otovulf

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Damn Skippy
    • Email
Monk Help
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:48:38 PM »
So, in a new game my DM is pulling, a party is leaving a Monestary to search out the forsaken lands that were left for dead and a Lich's army rolled though.  Arcane is a crappy idea, given the World story.  Gods are DM-made  and we must have a level in a divine or monk-like class.
The game starts at 8th level.  I was thinking Monk/Paladin?  PrC into Argent Fist?  The DM was going to change a few class things to fit his world in that case.  We start out at 27K gold and can not save it.  Its Funny Money.  And items that give stat bonuses are doubled in price.  Help?

So just sorta found out about games like D&D.  Life is good.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
Re: Monk Help
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:00:19 PM »
a divine rank or a level in monk? can you pick the divine rank? please.

monk in name or spirit? say 'in name' please.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »
You should be a Monk7/Paladin3/Duelist10.

You can add Dex, Int, and Wis to AC, Cha to saves, can heal yourself 14 points of damage from Monk levels, 3*Cha modifier HP from Lay on Hands, are very fast, and, of course, have great HP and damage dealing capabilities.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:06:23 PM »
You should be a Monk7/Paladin3/Duelist10.

You can add Dex, Int, and Wis to AC, Cha to saves, can heal yourself 14 points of damage from Monk levels, 3*Cha modifier HP from Lay on Hands, are very fast, and, of course, have great HP and damage dealing capabilities.

Can he add Fist of the Forest in there for Con to AC as well?

That said, in a game where items that give stat bonuses are double price I feel like Monks are even worse than usual.  I would take a Divine class unless you really want to be a monk.  Also, if you want to be a Monk-like class you could consider the Swordsage Variant that gives Unarmed Strike?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:13:32 PM »
Unarmed swordsage for a monk-like character (or maybe play a beholder?) or a druid for a divine class (with an animal companion that's stronger than any non-beholder monk).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 02:19:47 AM »
monk like? what about the monk 1, the tashalatora feat, a few psychic warrior levels and a prestige into slayer or warmind, with a couple of levels of pyro for flair?
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Saeomon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • A real rules lawyer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 02:37:11 AM »
We start out at 27K gold and can not save it.  Its Funny Money.  And items that give stat bonuses are doubled in price.  Help?

If that's the case then you want to maximize the amount of Funny Money that you can spend on gear that gives stat bonuses. Since you can't keep the Funny Money it's of intrinsically less value than actual money. Therefore, since you're going to want stat-increasing items, you'll get the most bang for your buck if you can buy them with Funny Money.

That said, I posted a Monk-like build that's completely gear independent in this thread, the other day. Is it uber powerful? No. But it looks like a lot of fun. I mean, you get to do "gun katas," like in Equilibrium.

To fix the acknowledged XP penalty problem, just swap out the Soulknife 4 level for Illumine Soul 5.

Then drop as much Funny Money as you can on a +Wis item.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 05:51:51 AM »
See if you can convince your DM to allow the Ascetic Rogue feat to actually cause Monk levels to advance SA (as it says in the table description, but not the feat text).  If yes, take 9 levels and use the Invisible Fist ACF to blink for an easy source of SA damage, assuming the target is vulnerable.  Rogue 11/Monk 9 with Invisible Fist and 10d6 SA can be workable in a Tier 3-style game.

If not, Monk 2/Psychic Warrior X with Tashalatora is way better in a big way.

That said, the utterly retarded houserule about double-price statboosters is just begging for a Druid.  If Druids aren't divine enough for your DM's taste, then add either 2 levels of Monk for the Invisible Fist ACF and a couple bonus feats, or a level of Cloistered Cleric for turn undead, devotion feats, and a gigantic can of absurdity.

BruceLeeroy

• Curious George
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 06:06:51 AM »
I'm staggered it took so many posts before druid was mentioned.

Druid 8, all the way to the bank.

JohnnyMayHymn

• Bi-Curious George
  • Lord of the Kitchen Sink
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 09:09:41 AM »
I'm staggered it took so many posts before druid was mentioned.

Druid 8, all the way to the bank.
stop by Planar Shepherd on your way to the bank, whats more divine than wildshaping into an Angel? (or Demon ect...)
My (sometimes offensive) Web Comic Faux Blast
Can you find the Wumpus? (Hint: start with the spoiler....)
[spoiler] :beathorse [/spoiler]
...........  :joystick

Otovulf

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Damn Skippy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »
Alright, Let me be more descriptive in my retelling of the story.  DM hates Psionics and Tome of battle classes and those are a no. His world experienced a HUGE drop in population due to army clashes and natural disasters about fifty years ago.  About twenty, the hoard of undead reformed and did a sweep destroying rebuilt towns again, followed by monster races that liked the easy prey.  My whole party are orphans.  At this monastery, we were raised and this is where we got our class levels. At least half must be a "Trained" class.  Such as monk, paladin, cleric and so on.  My DM hates cheesy rulebending and such.  The funny money is worthless outside of this place.  The divine thing is since the world has a less people, the gods are more focused on the people that do serve them.  The world's gods also were at war years ago, and the few that "won" are more powerful and give more to the most devout.  We get  these five special abilities or skill uses to help us or for flavor. 
I must be able to justfy it in this place too.  I have a basic idea, but not all in my party does, so this can help them too.  Two of them are archers (fighters i think they wanted?) , we have a shadowcaster with Ari's rewrites and an idea he gave us, a paladin/SA class/PrC(idk gives SA Progression), an incarnate, and a divine bard.  By the way, the bard is a crock of shit.  The girl playing is SOOOOOOOOOO bad at this, and she refuses to learn.  A skillmonkey was her goal, and she screams that she is bad at math. Help for idea to push her to?    Mine thus far was monk2/Pala4/Argent Fist 2

I have only four items thus far
+1 Fullplate
+1 Animated Heavy Steel Shield
Ring of Arming
Magic Bedroll

I can add more abilities to the armor and shield, but no more general +s(must be something like animated.)  I have more money, about 16k. 
Items useful? and where they are from?
one person doesn't know what to play.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 01:17:28 PM »
A DMM Cleric? That's Divine, without rulebending.

Oh, and ditch a DM that bans Psionics and Tome of Battle for not liking them.  :banghead

Otovulf

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Damn Skippy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 01:28:29 PM »

Oh, and ditch a DM that bans Psionics and Tome of Battle for not liking them.  :banghead

You try ditching a DM thats your dad.

Also the tome of battle classes were simply because they would not fit with where we were raised.  Psionics are overused and he doesn't like them.  Honestly, I don't either.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:30:51 PM by Otovulf »

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 01:33:52 PM »
Good point.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 02:07:43 PM »
I believe Solo's post with the duelist thing is a joke, FYI.

But yes, go Cleric or Druid; without the patches to the monk class that psionics or tob adds, monk is really not worth it...
BG's other resident furry!

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »
Emancipation.

I believe Solo's post with the duelist thing is a joke, FYI.
From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs.

FlySkyHigh

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 02:43:53 PM »
Aha. I'm also in this campaign, and yeah that duelist build was kind of cool.

Quick note about the tome of battle stuff: we were simply not allowed to take the classes, the feats and such are not out of the question, we just have to justify them, which is possible.

Also, Solo - Touche.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 02:48:05 PM »

Oh, and ditch a DM that bans Psionics and Tome of Battle for not liking them.  :banghead

easier than you think.
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Solo

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 02:51:38 PM »
Aha. I'm also in this campaign, and yeah that duelist build was kind of cool.
Just be sure to have high mental stats along with physical ones.

solara

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »
Your party really does need a divine utility caster, imo. You could go with Cloistered Cleric 5 / some prestige class you like 3, or druid 8. Both will give your party some badly needed utility. I'll have builds later if you want. I'd seriously suggest not going melee - I think your party has enough melee. If your DM doesn't like "cheese" then go with a buffing strategy - make the fighters more awesome, and help yourself. It's the strategy I *always* use since I'm the only player in my group who actually understands how to optimize.