Author Topic: Let's Play - Super Robot Wars K! Now up to ep 15!  (Read 87304 times)

Nerd-o-rama

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Let's Play - Super Robot Wars K! Now up to ep 13!
« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2011, 11:25:10 AM »
I vote Tatsumiya, because as angst-filled as the Fafner plot is likely to be, I can handle angst much better than stupidity, and dealing with SEED in my own LP has shown me the levels of nonsense we're likely to see.
Also I like the lineup better for Tatsumiya, I'll miss Dangaioh but I think I prefer these guys. Also Sheldia.

Trust me.  Original SEED has nothing on SEED Destiny in the stupidity department.

Anyway, I vote for Europe just to be contrary and a glasses fetishist.

Steam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2011, 11:56:12 AM »
Original SEED has nothing on SEED Destiny in the stupidity department.

One could write a thesis paper on Athrun's flip-floppery in Destiny alone.  At different points in the series, Athrun physically assaults Shinn and berates him first for trying to be a hero and disobeying orders, and later on just following orders to the best of his ability.

And that's the tip of the iceberg, Sucrose.  That's just the tip.
"While I'm away, will you please take care of yourself?  [Alcohol] is not good for your health."
"Alcohol is humanity's friend.  Can I abandon a friend?"
"Even if people think so, what about the alcohol?"
"It's always alcohol's real wish to be drunk."

Tengusaur

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2011, 12:16:06 PM »
It's Gundam. People punch each other as a greeting.

Votes so far:
Real Robot Show Where Everyone Angsts And Has The Same Face: 5
Gundam SEED Destiny: 2 (1 off-forum)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »
One could write a thesis paper on Athrun's flip-floppery in Destiny alone.  At different points in the series, Athrun physically assaults Shinn and berates him first for trying to be a hero and disobeying orders, and later on just following orders to the best of his ability.
...it was stress? :(

And what, you're telling me GSD has more flip-flopping than W? Where a new faction pops up every other episode and everyone has fought for each faction at least twice? :p
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:30:48 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Sucrose

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2011, 08:07:09 PM »
Original SEED has nothing on SEED Destiny in the stupidity department.

One could write a thesis paper on Athrun's flip-floppery in Destiny alone.  At different points in the series, Athrun physically assaults Shinn and berates him first for trying to be a hero and disobeying orders, and later on just following orders to the best of his ability.

And that's the tip of the iceberg, Sucrose.  That's just the tip.

What's just the tip of the iceberg?  The angst that's been expressed thus far?  Given what I've seen of Fafner, I'm well, well aware.  I'm just counting on the Super Robot folks to inject a bit a metric tonne more GAR to counteract it.

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #165 on: June 10, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
Okay, the voting is more or less done now and we're going to Tatsumiya. So we get Fafner and not Gundam SEED Destiny - you can't escape the Hiraiface!

As for the show itself, I could give you my opinion about it, but as the LPer it's better for me to show, not tell. Let's just this be said, I will try not to make any Evangelion jokes. But I promise nothing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, bad news to spoil the mood. I have end of semester exams so my update rate will be rather low for the next week or so.

Sucrose

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »
Okay, the voting is more or less done now and we're going to Tatsumiya. So we get Fafner and not Gundam SEED Destiny - you can't escape the Hiraiface!

As for the show itself, I could give you my opinion about it, but as the LPer it's better for me to show, not tell. Let's just this be said, I will try not to make any Evangelion jokes. But I promise nothing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, bad news to spoil the mood. I have end of semester exams so my update rate will be rather low for the next week or so.

Ah; fair enough.  Good luck, Cubey.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2011, 01:04:38 AM »
I vote Tatsumiya, because as angst-filled as the Fafner plot is likely to be, I can handle angst much better than stupidity, and dealing with SEED in my own LP has shown me the levels of nonsense we're likely to see.
Also I like the lineup better for Tatsumiya, I'll miss Dangaioh but I think I prefer these guys. Also Sheldia.

Trust me.  Original SEED has nothing on SEED Destiny in the stupidity department.
I could mostly enjoy SEED. Watching Kira nonlethally massacre everything is nice in its own way.

SEED Destiny was another matter. Goddamn the whiny bitch(es).
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Let's Play - Super Robot Wars K! Now up to ep 14!
« Reply #168 on: June 17, 2011, 05:39:13 PM »
I return.

Episode 14
Crisis on Sameface Island!

If we went the other route, it'd be Crisis on Sameface City, by the way.

Mist: Why did I sign up for this wild goose hunt... better than fighting humans again, I guess.
Cagalli: It is NOT a wild goose hunt! Tatsumiya is cloaked, but I know how its stealth systems work. We can find it.
Anna: Hey, did you see Lou around here? She wanted me to teach her how to pilot a giant robot, but I said no! Gou-chin is looking for her too, and he's furious!

Lou: Thank you for agreeing to train me, mr Dick.
Dick: Ha, don't mention it. A young lady like you should do what she wants, and mr Godannar over there has nothing to say about it. Let's begin the simulated fight...

Yeah, I'm sure nothing bad will come from these two working together. Just as nothing bad is happening to Tatsumiya Island just now.

Yumiko: Our perimeter has been breached! It's the Festum!
Fumihiko: How's the defenses? What do we have that's still operational?!

Yumiko Toomi, bridge bunny

Fumihiko Makabe, Tatsumiya's temporary commander

Kiyomi: All defensive structures are destroyed!
Yumiko: Fighter squadron... down! All pilots confirmed KIA.
Kiyomi: No... darling...

Kiyomi Kaname, (very) recently widowed bridge bunny

Fumihiko: We cannot panic now - notify the civilian population! Sound the alarm!

Yumiko: It's a state of emergency! Everyone, please evacuate to your designated shelters!
Mamoru: They want us to go to shelters? What could have happened? Did an Angel attack or something?

Mamoru Kodate, the nerd

Kazuki: Come on, it's no time for jokes. We gotta go!
Maya: Hurry up or you'll be left behind! Geez, something like this the first day after Shouko came back to school.
Shouko: It's alright, Maya... really...

Kazuki Makabe, the everyman

Maya Toomi, the girl next door

Shouko Hazama, the ill girl

Fafner does not shy from throwing hundreds of important characters your way. Also, some of their family names sound familiar... that's right, in this series many people are related to each other in some way.

This won't get confusing. Also, I think I just made an Evangelion joke. Crap, and we're not even on the first fight yet.

Yukie Kariya, the bitchy strict teacher

Yukie: Stop slowing the group! Do you really want to be left behind and die?

Kiyomi: We found Soushi. He's on his way as we speak.
Soushi: I'm already here. What's the situation, commander Makabe?

Soushi Minashiro, the loner

Soushi: Can we launch it?
Fumihiko: Mark Elf is operational. But the pilot... I just received a report, she was killed by the Festum.
Soushi: In that case, I will...
Fumihiko: No. You have a different task, something only you can do. We will have to find a replacement.

Yukie: Stay here and you will be safe. I must go.
Kouyou: You're... leaving us, teacher?
Kenji (not the Jeeg one): Please at least tell us why!

Kouyou Kasugai, the shy kid

Kenji Kondou, the class president

Yukie: It's not your business. Students should worry only about studying! Don't leave the shelter and you will be safe.
Sakura: What's wrong with her? She's usually much nicer.

Sakura Kaname, the tomboy

Sakura: Hey, it's Soushi.
Maya: Soushi! You're back already?
Soushi: I just returned. But we have no time - Kazuki, come with me.
Kazuki: Huh, what is it now?

Kazuki: A giant robot?
Soushi: Named after the legendary dragon that protected its treasure. Fafner - its duty is to protect Tatsumiya Island now. I'd pilot it if I could.
Kazuki: You want me to do it for you? What's this feeling of guilt... I can't remember, something in the past... Okay, Soushi. What do you want me to do?
Soushi: Just sit in the cockpit and touch the controls. It may sting a little.
Kazuki: A littlAAAAARGHTHEPAIIN!

Soushi: Kazuki? Are you alright?
Kazuki: Soushi? Why can I hear you in my head?
Soushi: I am at the base, synchronising you with Mark Elf using the Siegfried System. We are in this together - I will guide you. Try to focus on moving and walk outside.

Festum: [Is anyone there?]
Soushi: It's our enemy. Don't answer it! If you do that, you open your mind and it can assimilate you!
Kazuki: Don't worry, I'll be carefuuuwaaaagh!

Soushi: The Festum can read your mind! You must trust Fafner. Use its weapons and attack before the Sphinx-type can react.
Kazuki: Like this?!

Festum are the most annoying enemy in the game. They have barriers, health regeneration, and good accuracy. Oh, and a single one has enough HP for a miniboss. Aren't we glad we went this route?

Soushi: Strike at its core.
Kazuki: Okay, I see it!

This knife... no, too obvious. Not saying it.

Soushi: Mark Elf is taking damage! Are you alright, Kazuki?
Kazuki: It's still alright! You said it, I just have to hit its core!

Kazuki: We did it! Wait... there's more?
Fumihiko: It's not the Festum. Kazuki, try to hold out against them, help is on its way!
Kazuki: Help? Wait, dad?! You're the leader?
Fumihiko: I'll explain it to you later.

Daiya: Here we are! Daiku Maryu, just in time!
Cagalli: I told you we would find the island here.
Fumihiko: Thank you. It's good to see you again, miss Attha.
Cagalli: Of course, Orb and Tatsumiya are friends! But I don't intend to just watch and lead from the sidelines this time.

Cagalli: Bring it! Festum or Mimetic Beasts, I'll face you on!

Kazuki: People from outside Tatsumiya? Mimetic Beasts? What's going on?
Soushi: You can wonder about this later, Kazuki. The enemy's in range, defend yourself!

Fortunately, Mimetic Beasts remain weak as they were in stage one. Okay, they are slightly stronger now, but everyone else got a lot better - so there's no real comparison now. But wait, what's this?

Sheldia: What the heck, this one's different! Explain this to me, Mist!
Mist: I don't know everything, give me a break. But we have to take it down anyway!

Van: Tough guy, huh? Don't think I'll let you stand in my way!

Say hello to ground- and sky-type Mimetic Beasts. Lots of HP for the former, lots of mobility for the latter, strong attacks for both.
Strong attacks, but also blindsides which I'm going to exploit mercilessly.

Daiya: W... woah! Is this one really going to?

Lee: Urgh, I'll need a bath after this fight!

Kazuki: Hey, leave these strange but friendly people alone! I need something strong to pierce that beast's armor!
Soushi: You have the Ruge Lance at your disposal.
Kazuki: Let's use it!

Kazuki: And for long-ranged combat?
Soushi: We're sending the railgun!

Cagalli: I didn't feel like this in a while.
Kenji: Cagalli's a seed-y person too? I got no idea!
Cagalli: I am sure I told you this already. Mimetic Beasts, I'll show you my full potential!

Gou: Godannar was made to fight Mimetic Beasts!
Anna: So we won't give up now! Time for the finishing hit!

Mist: Well, this time's easy! Just wrap it all up and we're done!

A few slices, punches, projectile shots and explosions later, victory is ours. On second thought, that wasn't so bad.

Fafner-Kenji: It's quiet on the outside. Can we leave the shelter now?
Kouyou: What happened to Kazuki? Is he safe?
Maya: Don't worry, he won't be killed that easily!
Shouko: He won't. Don't worry... I trust him.

Cagalli: Makabe!
Fumihiko: Welcome again, miss Attha. My apologies for the sorry state of the island.
Cagalli: Cut that out, I'm not here on a diplomatic visit! We need your help, but we can help you too. Where's Minashiro?
Soushi: ...
Cagalli: Oh, hey Soushi. Where can I find your father?
Soushi: He was killed in the attack.

Ouch! Let's zoom out to a different place.

Chizuru: And, that's it. You have only small bruises Kazuki. Take a rest when you return home and you will be fine.

Chizuru Toomi, the school nurse (and apparently a secretive, highly trained medical expert)

Kazuki: Thank you, Toomi-sensei. I think I'll be going now. It was a long day.

Yumiko: How is Kazuki, mom? Will he be fine?
Chizuru: I don't know. There is some change in his DNA, and it's nothing lethal or dangerous yet. But what will happen in the future...

I know what will happen in the immediate future - the intermission! And we have two new units in the roster.

Strike Rouge - Cagalli's personal unit, copy of SEED's Strike Gundam (only piiiink). Unfortunately, it's... not that impressive. It can repair and has the Phase Shift Armor for defense, at least. And Cagalli's SEED mode gives it somewhat better offense than the usual for support units.

Fafner Mark Elf - it's a real-type, and a pretty good one. Its weapons are a good mixup of close and long-ranged attacks, and it has a strong finishing strike, too. The Norn System provides some protection against attacks that manage to hit, but it's miniscule so it's good Elf can dodge pretty well. Has two pilots, too. Kinda. You'll see what I mean later.

Steam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #169 on: June 17, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »
Oh fond memories of watching Fafner two years ago.  Fucking awesome show and still one of my favorites.
"While I'm away, will you please take care of yourself?  [Alcohol] is not good for your health."

Tengusaur

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #170 on: June 17, 2011, 06:05:32 PM »
This is not like Evangelion at all! Not even the music! Evangelion where everyone looks the same - in SEED they at least have weird hair colors...

Okay, jokes aside (because it's clearly more like Kami Knows What than Eva), Fafner is cool. Mark Elf has varied attacks with interesting animations, and it only gets better from here. Festums are annoying though.

I think you need to make a table with all the Fafner characters and how are they related to each other, like Nerdo did before. Complete with ships, although all Fafner ships are canon.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 06:14:15 PM by Tengusaur »

Steam

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #171 on: June 17, 2011, 06:42:42 PM »
Tengu, Eva wasn't the first to open a song like Eva did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bahwU9wWwmg

Tengusaur

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: June 17, 2011, 07:04:24 PM »
I know, a friend linked this to me some time ago. But hey, Eva Does What James Bon't!

Okay, that sucked.

Sucrose

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2011, 02:26:36 AM »
Well, this route has turned out pretty well, so far. :D

Cagalli getting to act relatively badass was a great surprise, and the Mark Elf's railgun is, I'll admit, pretty neat.  Sorry that fighting the Festum is such a pain, Cubey.

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2011, 08:23:41 AM »
Oh, don't worry. It's just comedic exaggeration. Besides, I faced Dimensional Monsters in SRW Z2 - compared to them, Festum are nothing. Especially when I have awesome units that pierce barriers with their strong attacks. Such as Dann.

Cagalli is on her most badass in K from all the SRW titles. Too bad Rouge is kinda weak - but she gets an upgrade.

catchthesun

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2011, 10:51:01 AM »
Fafner. Without Shangri-la? I am disappoint.

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »
We'll hear that song later in the game, worry not.

Cubey

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2011, 01:05:01 PM »
What's this, no update in over a week? Is the LP dead?

It's not. I needed a rest and it's still... I wouldn't call it hiatus per se, so let us go with "slowatus". I write this post knowing that each time I declare hiatus, I return shortly thereafter. So in a way it's motivational for me.

Also, the next episode? A two parter, and a long one to that. Look forward to it!

catchthesun

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »
Relax. Take your time. I shall eagerly await.

Sucrose

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
I, too, await with bated breath.  That said, take as much time to recover from finals as you need.